Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
JGriff

Oregon State parks firewood

Hello all.

We are going down the Oregon coast next week with staying at Sunset Bay CG and Nehalem Bay State Park CG.
We love having campfires and I know we can't bring firewood with us or take it to different campsites, Sunset to Nehalem , but I am wondering if the firewood is dry or close to it and what about kindling ?
I have read that the camp host takes care of this ?

Are there any tips you may have ?

TIA

JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
travelin texans

With all the wildfires on the west coast I can't believe any campground/park still allows open campfires. I can't remember the last CG we visited that allowed a real wood burning campfire, wouldn't build one if it was allowed, but propane campfires, gas grills, charcoal grills only.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
Hello all.

We are going down the Oregon coast next week with staying at Sunset Bay CG and Nehalem Bay State Park CG.
We love having campfires and I know we can't bring firewood with us or take it to different campsites, Sunset to Nehalem , but I am wondering if the firewood is dry or close to it and what about kindling ?
I have read that the camp host takes care of this ?

Are there any tips you may have ?

TIA
It's not the moisture content that is the problem, but it's the critters that can still be inside the wood, and those are the problem. There are enough dead trees out west that have died due to various beetles and the powers that be would just as soon not have anyone importing any more varieties to their area. It does not matter if it is full sized logs or kindling, just follow the rules, and this is just like the inspection of boats entering Oregon, so the critters attached to the hulls aren't brought in contaminating lakes and rivers. We are currently in Central California, and it is extremely sad to see all the dead pine trees in the Sierras. I can imagine how the logging industry in Oregon does not want that kind of destruction to occur in their forests, it would really destroy the logging economy.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
JGriff

The west coast of the Pacific NW all the way up to Vancouver Island , where I live, is one of the wettest place anywhere. They often allow campfires in the middle of summers as the moisture in the air keeps everything wet.
Vancouver Island was not allowed fires except in the mid to north west side of the island.
I have talked to Oregon state parks office and they say there is no ban that it is wet.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
JGriff

Hi bobbecky

What I am inquiring about is the firewood at the campgrounds reasonably dry and is there kindling

I from a logging community and have seen first hand what import critters can do
Thx
Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
rhagfo

We allowed campfires in the costal parks all summer except for maybe a week. The firewood is typically dry. They may not have kindling, but sell fire starter pucks. These are sawdust in paraffin, I use a 1/4 puck when I have some smaller wood.
2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 311K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
JGriff

Hi rhagfo

Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I needed
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
rjrelander

A little pile of Matchlight charcoal makes an excellence fire starter as well.

Randi & Shirley
2017 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 GMC Sierra 1500
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We make our own "fire starter pucks" every year. I start with a paper egg crate left over from most any grocery store purchase. Once the eggs are gone, I reach into the back of the table saw and get a handful of sawdust to pack into each of the "egg depressions". After they are full, I pour melted "Gulf wax" (bought in the canning section of any grocery store) over the sawdust. Once that sets up, I close the lid on the egg crate and put it in the trailer. When needed, just break off one of the "egg depressions", paper and all, place it in the firepit, light it and it'll burn (sort of like a candle) producing enough flame to encourage most firewood to a nice flame.

When I cut firewood with a chain saw, I save the larger sawdust chips produced by the chain saw. They tend to produce a better flame than the finer table sawdust, but both will work for most applications.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
travelin texans

Dryer lint works as well as saw dust & we ALWAYS have plenty with every dryer load.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote