Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #1
C.LeeNick

Harbor Freight/Predator Inverter Generator.

In February we took our Passport on a two week boondacking trip and finally got to put the rig to a real test. The trailer was great, barring some battery issues I've posted on in the "Repairs/Maintenance" forum. Everything worked and we had a great time.

Also, we got to put our Predator 3500 Inverter Generator to a real test. Up to that point, I'd only "played around" with it.

We used it daily, a couple hours pretty much every morning, and several hours each night. One cooler night, I let it run overnight. It ran 11 hours straight and did not run out of fuel. I though that was pretty good.

It never failed to start easily. Ran everything. And what's more was super quiet. Much quieter than I was used to with our old Champion generator (Which is also a great generator. We've never had issues with it and have had it at least ten years). I used it to run the heat bar in the roof air conditioner with no problems (And I really didn't expect problems since the heat bar is rated at 1500 watts, and the generator is 3500, but you never know).

Electric start was super easy. At one point, for the last couple days, we were camped next to a few other RV's on a lake. The neighbors were impressed enough to come over and check the generator out. One fellow who drove by commented that he had to shut off his truck to tell if the generator was even running. I was happy to hear that. Most of the time we like to camp off by ourselves away from others, so noise isn't an issue. But the last thing I want to do if we camp near others is disturb them.

According to the hour meter, we probably racked up 60-70 hours on the thing. all told. No issues.

I'm very happy with the Predator 3500 generator. I do not regret the purchase.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
busterbrown

I've heard good things about that HF generator. The only negative comments were in regards to the spark arrestor. One video I watched showed nearly 6000 hours on that unit. Impressive. I just bought a 4500 Westinghouse inverter generator for nearly the same price as that Predator. I bought it to replace my relatively new Champion 3100 for one primary reason, fuel tank size. This westinghouse has 3.4 gallon tank. Champion is about 1.5. Big difference when trying to keep the AC going throughout the night. Glad you like your Predator.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
In February we took our Passport on a two week boondacking trip and finally got to put the rig to a real test. The trailer was great, barring some battery issues I've posted on in the "Repairs/Maintenance" forum. Everything worked and we had a great time.

Also, we got to put our Predator 3500 Inverter Generator to a real test. Up to that point, I'd only "played around" with it.

We used it daily, a couple hours pretty much every morning, and several hours each night. One cooler night, I let it run overnight. It ran 11 hours straight and did not run out of fuel. I though that was pretty good.

It never failed to start easily. Ran everything. And what's more was super quiet. Much quieter than I was used to with our old Champion generator (Which is also a great generator. We've never had issues with it and have had it at least ten years). I used it to run the heat bar in the roof air conditioner with no problems (And I really didn't expect problems since the heat bar is rated at 1500 watts, and the generator is 3500, but you never know).

Electric start was super easy. At one point, for the last couple days, we were camped next to a few other RV's on a lake. The neighbors were impressed enough to come over and check the generator out. One fellow who drove by commented that he had to shut off his truck to tell if the generator was even running. I was happy to hear that. Most of the time we like to camp off by ourselves away from others, so noise isn't an issue. But the last thing I want to do if we camp near others is disturb them.

According to the hour meter, we probably racked up 60-70 hours on the thing. all told. No issues.

I'm very happy with the Predator 3500 generator. I do not regret the purchase.
Good to hear. I also have the Predator 3500 and it’s been great
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Number 4

Wow, you really did put that Predator through the ringer running it all night. It's nice to hear yours is going strong and I agree that it's quiet compared to others I've heard while boondocking. Mine has been trouble free as well, with just one complaint. The wheel locking ring (locked or not) rattles due to normal generator vibration and I haven't yet found a cure for that incessant high pitched "dingalingalingalingaling..." I know, first world problem. Next time out I'll try a spring clamp and hope it doesn't vibrate off like everything else I've tried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27738.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	20569   Click image for larger version

Name:	4pcs-3inch-Clamps-Clip-Tips-Set-Plastic-Nylon-Spring-For-Paper-Photo-Backdrop-Background-Woodwor.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	20570  
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
C.LeeNick

I like the clamp idea! I did notice that from time to time there was a rattle in the generator that seemed to come from the wheels...it might have been the exact same problem. Not sure cause I don't remember it "ringing". Where we were camping, the generator would sit in pretty coarse gravelly sand, so shifting it around in the sand seemed to quiet it down.

I'm sure all the inverter generators are like this, but I really liked that it would reduce the revs way down once the batteries were topped off and electrical demand reduced. At that point, we could barely even hear it inside the trailer. And wouldn't notice it at all if the radio or TV were on.

One thing I did was buy the longest plastic-coated security cable I could find to lock up the generator. I found a 30 footer. I wrapped it around both carrying handles on the generator, and one scissor jack, or the axle, of the trailer. I could pull the cord all the way out of the trailer and move the generator quite a ways away. Probably just keeping honest folks honest, but if someone wanted to work that hard to steal it, they wouldn't have anything pretty left when they were done.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Ccrew

We love our Predator and have owned it about a year and a half. We frequently camp in USFS and NP’s with no hookups and have had many compliments about how quiet it is. Supposedly the key to longevity with these is to change the oil every 50 hours and to use non-ethanol gas w/ fuel stabilizer. We’ve done that and with approx 450 hours on ours now it’s been flawless.
As to the plastic coated lock cable, just don’t get it in front of the exhaust. Don’t ask how I know!
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
I like the clamp idea! I did notice that from time to time there was a rattle in the generator that seemed to come from the wheels...it might have been the exact same problem. Not sure cause I don't remember it "ringing". Where we were camping, the generator would sit in pretty coarse gravelly sand, so shifting it around in the sand seemed to quiet it down.

I'm sure all the inverter generators are like this, but I really liked that it would reduce the revs way down once the batteries were topped off and electrical demand reduced. At that point, we could barely even hear it inside the trailer. And wouldn't notice it at all if the radio or TV were on.

One thing I did was buy the longest plastic-coated security cable I could find to lock up the generator. I found a 30 footer. I wrapped it around both carrying handles on the generator, and one scissor jack, or the axle, of the trailer. I could pull the cord all the way out of the trailer and move the generator quite a ways away. Probably just keeping honest folks honest, but if someone wanted to work that hard to steal it, they wouldn't have anything pretty left when they were done.
Congrats! I will coment on you cable, it’s easily cut through with bolt cutters. Almost lost my gen using a cable. It was cut clean through one night. I don’t know what stopped them from taking the gen. I have a chain now.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
hornet28

A chain is no safer than a cable if the thief has the right size bolt cutters
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
A chain is no safer than a cable if the thief has the right size bolt cutters
Yeah but I’m banking on it’s harder to pack and conceal these vs wire cutters.

Plus takes a little more time and effort to break a chain.
It’s like they say, take away as much opportunity and quickness to deter a thief. Put out the alarm sign first
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC28CA22-7F9D-44EA-B300-9D86D35F42F0.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	20605   Click image for larger version

Name:	04DA9AE6-A21B-4CE7-83CC-AF472EA11345.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	20606  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I had a cable lock that had a LOUD whistle if you cut the cable. Bought it in ‘08 for our big road trip. Still have it...somewhere.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
larryflew

Seems attaching the cable to the positive side of 120 might cure some theft problems ;-) Even with insulated cutters the might touch the cable. Insurance might be tougher to get. Just call it a security system.

Impressed with what owners have to say about some HF products like this one.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Frank G

On sale this weekend for $679.00 Brooksville FL store
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter