Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Just as an added note, from pics I looked at from 2018 models, the bedroom slide appears to be swin-tec system and not cable. I doubt they would change from cable to swin-tec because that would be going backwards in technology in my opinion. Again though, that's not the slide he's having trouble with.
Having worked on both I’ll take the schwintek all day long over the cable system. It’s not “backwards” from cable, much fewer problems IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having worked on both I’ll take the schwintek all day long over the cable system. It’s not “backwards” from cable, much fewer problems IMO.
The bedroom slide in my '15 Cougar is schwintek and I've had zero problems with it... it even self-adjusts
Old 12-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #23
Tinner12002

Quote:
Well your probably correct in that, was thinking more as when they use the schwintek on the larger slides, read of lots of issues there. Sorry!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Actually I’ve seen schwintek on full body slides. Thor Hurricane comes to mind-35’ long and DS had 25’ of slide. Had the dining table, bunks and rear entertainment.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpain View Post
Sorry I didn't get back quicker. Thank you very much for giving me some ideas..
The dealer is several hundred miles away and the Keystone dealer is 130 miles away, I'm in the boonies. Now when I started bringing in the slides all three acted funny , they came in like one side in about six inches then the other side in about six inches, they didn't come in smooth but the two in the kitchen front room closed good, all the way, just the bedroom looks like it's still out a little. I'll look at it closer tomorrow and post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I've never in all the RVs I've looked at have never seen a bedroom slide with anything other than either cable or swin-tec system. Don't think the OP is having issues with it. Its the 2 main hyd or elec gear driven slides he's having problems with, hyd driven more than likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
Bedroom slide on mine is cable driven. The two living area slides are hydraulic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My 2014 Alpine all three slides are hydraulic.. Bedroom slide always closes and opens first..
Tinner12002,
It started with the OP stating, "all three acted funny and bedroom looks like it's still out a little". Anyway, that's how I read the OP's first post, but we still don't know what type of bedroom slide the OP has, cable drive, hydraulic or now, Schwintec. All we know is that he has a separate switch for the bedroom slide (making it likely it's not hydraulic). His statement "the two came in funny" could indicate a weak/discharged battery or possibly air in the hydraulic system. The "bedroom one was out a little" could be hydraulic, or it could be battery problems or it could be a cable problem or it could be a Schwintec system problem. Until we know what type of slide he has, any advise (other than take it to a serviceman) would be "best guessing".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpain View Post
...I got complete extended warranty and it is supposed to cover everything , (heard that song before).. Its so far to drag it back there I'll try to fix it first. ...

JSpain,

Take a look at your extended warranty. If it's a "comprehensive plan that covers everything" it may have a provision that will pay for "local service by a mobile serviceman". If so, you may be able to have the repairs done by someone who will come to the trailer to service it. Check the small print though, often there's a different reimbursement plan or a deductible. If in doubt, call the administrator of the plan (number is in the paperwork) and discuss what they will approve for this particular situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #27
JSpain

Quote:
Yes Sir this bedroom slide does have the SCHWINTEK System. With the slide only traveling about 6 inches at a time and making that noise and not closing all the way ,,Could it have something caught in the gears or track ? How would I check for that ?
JSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Slide

Ok: quick background and then a possible course of action.

Schwintek system does NOT like to be stopped mid movement. There is a motor at the top on each side with a rod that turns a gear at both top and bottom on each side. When the slide gets to the “end of movement” the controller senses resistance and “amps out”. The motors “synchronize” with each other at the end of travel, that’s the “hum” you hear.

There is a controller, most likely mounted in the basement. I’ll post a pic as soon as I can, it will have a slot with a red and green LED. If there are lights flashing, there is a fault. Reading the faults is printed on the label. Instructions for override is also printed on the face.

Assuming no codes: get the room FULLY extended or retracted. Then using the button, move the room in the opposite direction for 1-2 seconds. Then press button and hold til hum stops. Repeat 3 times. If the room is extended, press retract for 1-2 seconds and then extend until noise stops.

When you operate the slide, keep the button depressed until all noise stops.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Picture of controller:

Old 12-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #30
dcg9381

My prior 2 RVs with slides - both were hydraulic.. I did replace a pump on one.
I've had nothing but trouble with the cable slides. I don't attribute this to the slide system, and Accu-side has a guy that is responsive to consumer questions. My slides were installed incorrectly, openings cut wrong - required a return to the factory.

I do, however, immediately start looking at the cable slide adjustment as one of the first thing I look at on RVs with them and I see that many of them - perhaps more than 50% are poorly adjusted from the factory.

I keep a spare cable because it's not a matter of "if" - it's a matter of when. The good news is that the slide systems can handle a cable failure without any apparent risk of auto-extending when driving down the road.

I was told by an RV tech that they have the most problems with schwintek slides, but I'd rather have that setup... Seems mechanically more accurate to me...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I was told by an RV tech that they have the most problems with schwintek slides, but I'd rather have that setup... Seems mechanically more accurate to me...
Then he must see all the issues I don’t. I deal with several brands every day that use the schwintek system and see VERY FEW failures.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #32
JSpain

Quote:
Picture of controller:
Thanks chuckster
My by pass in the basement is a iN Command and it does not look like that. I'm leaving for a week , when I get back I'll take a pic of what I have . I do thank you and all the guys that have made posts to try and help me...

THANKS GUYS
Old 12-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

If your slide is schwintek, that controller is there somewhere. Your “in command” will have a relay that applies 12VDC to the controller. Polarity determines which direction the motors turn.

Schwintek is used in Grand Designs Momentum, and it can be controlled from an app on a smart phone via “one touch” by LCI. Tiffen uses schwintek and can be controlled by a “spyder” system.

Take another look, that controller that I showed in the picture is what “controls” the movement of the slide. Only thing not showing in that picture is the 12VDC connections on the right side of the box.

You will have a cable that runs down the vertical surfaces on both sides of the slide. Common for the cables to go through the main floor near the slide wall and the controller will be mounted on the ceiling of the basement, or even in the front compartment depending on the actual layout of storage. We don’t sell Alpines so I can’t say exactly where it’s located, but I can assure you it is there somewhere. The schwintek system won’t operate without it.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #34
JSpain

Chuckster my Alpine has th LCI with the relays and circuit boards controls in the basement , that is what I used to override and bring the slide in to within a half inch of being full closed. I for some reason I can't get the picture to post.
This is ALL I FOUND there is not a control like your picture that I could find... When I get back I'll look everywhere for it and contact the dealer...
Old 12-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Then fully extend the slide. Using the buttons inside the coach:

Press “IN” for 1 second.
Press “OUT” until ALL noise stops
Press “IN” for 1 second
Press “IN” for 1 second

Try to retract slide.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...placement_.pdf

Old 12-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #36
JSpain

Chuckster57 I'm sorry I thought you were referring to the leveling system . My bedroom slide has the gear set up like the
Schwinteck system BUT the only controller is the. iN-Command System I have pics of it but I can't get it to post with this message.
Google the iN.Command. I have pictures of the system in my profile.
Again I'm sorry Sir I know you are trying to help me and I keep leading you wrong...
Old 12-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Your not leading me wrong. I think if anything your not understanding what I am trying to tell you.

If the slide is indeed schwintek, it HAS TO HAVE the controller I showed in a previous post. The controller is what makes the slide work. The InCommand system is merely a different way to get the controller energized. In the end the CONTROLLER has to have 12VDC and a signal to tell the motors what direction to turn.

Your RV has the InCommand. Tiffen uses the Sdyder system. Grand design uses LCI one touch. In ALL cases the controller is present “somewhere” in the coach.
When you use either the remote or the buttons, it sends a signal (12V) to the “EXT” or “RET” contact telling the controller to turn the motors in a particular direction. At the end of travel, the CONTROLLER senses amp draw from each motor and shuts them off.

I think they may be “out of synch”, and if you read the PDF I linked, the instructions are there how to reset them. I’ve done it a number of times on several units. If they won’t “synch” then you really need to find the controller and look for a trouble code.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
newoldtimer

On my 2018 Alpine with the In Command system, we have the Schwintek slide in the bedroom. The controller chuckster57 is referring to is in the front storage compartment on the ceiling on ours.
newoldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide