Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh1"03 View Post
Bigiron,
Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear you have what sounds to be the same issue. Please let me know how it turns out and what you find. I am curious if it could be that the floor was installed in the space between 2 frame supports and the weight in that area caused it to crack which is causing the flex. Either way I am planning to take up the diamond plate strip at the rear by the dove tail and cut into the rubber mat to try and see what the wood looks like. If I had to bet it isn't glued down like they say it should be and I should be able to pull it up with some heat. I will keep you informed on what I find when I get back from my trip and dig into it.
What you just mentioned is something that I would be thinking. You may also find that Keystone, like about everyone else building RVs has used OSB instead of plywood. Years back I had a Kountry Aire 5er and even in the '70s, found that Newmar had used that 'crap' on a then high end RV. I ended up pulling everything I could move or unscrew out and layering on a good quality weatherproof plywood. No more dips and spongy floor between cross members. That was better 'fun' then fixing the rot from a water tank leak that happened later.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Bigiron

Quote:
Bigiron,
Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear you have what sounds to be the same issue. Please let me know how it turns out and what you find. I am curious if it could be that the floor was installed in the space between 2 frame supports and the weight in that area caused it to crack which is causing the flex. Either way I am planning to take up the diamond plate strip at the rear by the dove tail and cut into the rubber mat to try and see what the wood looks like. If I had to bet it isn't glued down like they say it should be and I should be able to pull it up with some heat. I will keep you informed on what I find when I get back from my trip and dig into it.
The under belly of the toy hauler portion is not covered by Coroplast, but rather the wood is covered by the vapor barrier material, can't remember the formal name. Anyway, you can see all the supports from underneath. If at all possible try not to cut the flooring material. That diamond plate transition will most likely be glued/sealed so it takes slight prying to get it up. Also keep in mind you can get to it from the bottom. You might have to cut the vapor material, but it can be resealed with gorilla tape. I am starting at the top so the epoxy will run into the wood, but I might look underneath and see if I can inject some from the bottom as well. I can feel the soft spot underneath so I will drill a series of slam holes in the rotted area and also pas the area a few inches as well to find good wood. Good to see, well not so good, but good to see I am not the only person shocked that a 2016 trailer has rotten wood. let's compare notes to see what works. I am hoping to get into mine this coming week sometime.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Gresh1"03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
The under belly of the toy hauler portion is not covered by Coroplast, but rather the wood is covered by the vapor barrier material, can't remember the formal name. Anyway, you can see all the supports from underneath. If at all possible try not to cut the flooring material. That diamond plate transition will most likely be glued/sealed so it takes slight prying to get it up. Also keep in mind you can get to it from the bottom. You might have to cut the vapor material, but it can be resealed with gorilla tape. I am starting at the top so the epoxy will run into the wood, but I might look underneath and see if I can inject some from the bottom as well. I can feel the soft spot underneath so I will drill a series of slam holes in the rotted area and also pas the area a few inches as well to find good wood. Good to see, well not so good, but good to see I am not the only person shocked that a 2016 trailer has rotten wood. let's compare notes to see what works. I am hoping to get into mine this coming week sometime.
Thanks Dave W....I can only hope this is the issue and not a water problem but who knows. I was hoping maybe people from Keystone monitor this site and could provide some sort of opinion or offer a way to get it checked out but by the answers I have been getting from other places, the provide no support after the 1year mark and consider the item your problem. Wishful thinking I guess!!!
Gresh1"03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Dave W....I can only hope this is the issue and not a water problem but who knows. I was hoping maybe people from Keystone monitor this site and could provide some sort of opinion or offer a way to get it checked out but by the answers I have been getting from other places, the provide no support after the 1year mark and consider the item your problem. Wishful thinking I guess!!!
To the best of my knowledge, NOBODY from Keystone monitors this forum, NOBODY from Keystone is a member of this forum and NOBODY from Keystone has any involvement of any kind with this forum. When the new owners of this forum took over about a year ago, we addressed the possibility of asking Keystone to "join the forum" but so far, since that conversation among the moderators, it's been "crickets" on that topic. So, nope, It's very unlikely that Keystone will be giving you any suggestions here.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team

No one from Keystone is on this site that we are aware of. The site is not owned by Keystone and if they are on here it would be their own decision to do so. Check the disclaimer at the bottom of every page. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but also didn't want you to get your hopes up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #16
Gresh1"03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
No one from Keystone is on this site that we are aware of. The site is not owned by Keystone and if they are on here it would be their own decision to do so. Check the disclaimer at the bottom of every page. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but also didn't want you to get your hopes up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Cool thanks for the info!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #17
Gresh1"03

Floor rot update

It has been a while since I first posted about this, the issue has continued to get worse and we have found other areas that are soft under the other window and kitchen. I have tried to contact Keystone multiple times and have finally received a reply back. They approved to pay to have a local facility take a look at it and diagnose the issue even though it is out of warranty. I can honestly say that the individuals I have been dealing with have been very helpful, polite, and seem to be willing to help. So far this has been a positive experience.

Today I brought it to the service center and after looking around for a few hours, peeling back the rubber floor mat, cutting the bottom barrier, and removing the window, we have figured out the water leak is coming from the rear windows. Although the inside and outside walls didn't have a sign of water damage, there is clear sign of water intrusion through the window upper forward seal and down the forward cutout into the floor. Unfortunately, the floor is about 50% rotted at this point and not sure what can be done. We have figured out the smell we have been smelling has been the mold, this makes me extremely upset due to my 3 young daughters sleeping right on top of it. This information will be relayed to Keystone to see what the outcome will be. I am hoping we can come to an agreement and this is a positive experience. Sorry for the length but figured it maybe helpful for others.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

You are doing fine to provide detailed feedback... thanks for posting all the details and let us know where things go!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith conversion
1980 GS1000G
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #19
zoro58

cheap OSB gave way on first trip with bike and straps loosened causing bike to fall damaging new bike and fiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHONE PICS 223.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	14658   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHONE PICS 226.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	14659  
zoro58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
rhandyr99

Our Fuzion had 2 of these repairs... What a mess & Job it is to replace these floors. They are made of cheap particle board that rots when it gets wet! We replaced the bottom part last summer and when we got back home this summer we discovered another soft spot and had to replace 1/4 of the floor above the bottom section up to the door...(just finished yesterday) Our leak was from not being sealed from the factory above the door, the lights - we sprayed it with a water hose and it ran in like crazy... we sealed all the framing and around everything that should have been sealed at the factory.... I can post pictures if any one wants to see them...

rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, keystone