Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is my personal experience with tire tread delamination on Trailer King tires. NONE of this delamination was visible with the tires mounted and aired to 65 PSI. Take the pictures as an example of what a "ticking time bomb" looks like. It was only a matter of when (not if) I was facing tires that self destructed while towing. Fortunately I decided to change tires before it happened. I have no idea if I would have made it another 5,000 miles or 5 miles, but you be the judge on whether you want to risk this kind of possibility with your trailer and the investment you have in it. As you can see in the last picture, there is some deformation of the tread, but that is completely invisible when the tire is mounted and pressurized.

For me, the cost of 4 Carlisle tires was less than the cost of my $500 insurance deductible, so it was a "no brainer" to save the rest of my cash and not have the hassle of waiting for repairs and hoping they do it right.....

I personally wouldn't put too much credibility in a U Haul trailer and the reliability of any brand tire mounted on it. Heaven only knows who rented it last, what they used it for, how they damaged it or even whether they stole the tires and replaced them with their own "about to go" trailer tires.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	14601   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	14602   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	258