Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
homer3

Camera

OK fellow RVer's. I have a wireless camera and monitor being utilized not as a back up camera but as a visual aid for driving down the road. This helps me keep an eye on those pesky automobilist who are not considerate of RVer's. Here is the problem I have been having; monitor fluctuates sometimes while driving down the road much as an oscilloscope would. Called mfg, they said that it may be due to 12v power being provided via cigarette lighter, they suggested an alternative power source. this means tapping to wires somewhere under the dash. This does not excite me. Do any of you have any suggestions or maybe have run into the same type issues and have come up with a fix.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

Not sure why the cigarette lighter connection is in question but maybe the actual plug in is not making contact well. If you want to tap into a 12V source under the dash you could just tap off the wire that runs to the lighter. That way you wouldn't have to figure out which one of the thousand or so other wires under there would be a good source. I'm sure you know this but make sure it's fused. The lighter's capacity is much greater than what the monitors.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
airforceret

I sometimes have to rotate my lighter plug a little as it has a dead spot. It's likely a manufacturing defect but not worth getting replaced.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
homer3

Camera

airforceret - What do you have plugged into your lighter socket. I have Silverado and it has two lighter ports one for cigarette the other is AUX I'm sure they are both wired the same. I'm just wondering if I need stronger transmitter. Distance is around 45-47 feet, from back of 5ver to inside cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05670.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05672.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	4671  

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
Mark TC

I would like to jump in here and ask a question. Who makes a good wireless set up to put on the back of my TT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark TC View Post
I would like to jump in here and ask a question. Who makes a good wireless set up to put on the back of my TT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a Voyager wireless system on the rear of my TT. I have had no complaints or issues with its performance. I know that others have referenced choppy reception problems, perhaps my rig is not long enough for this to be an issue for me.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Albert

x2 on the voyager. Not cheap, but in my opinion best wireless one on the market
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
homer3

Camera

Ok but having small issues. I think they are grounding issues. Monitor seems to be getting some interference from engine. Kind of like an oscilloscope - fluttering lines on monitor. Only used once so not sure what to do about issue

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 12-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
airforceret - What do you have plugged into your lighter socket. I have Silverado and it has two lighter ports one for cigarette the other is AUX I'm sure they are both wired the same. I'm just wondering if I need stronger transmitter. Distance is around 45-47 feet, from back of 5ver to inside cab.
I have one power and one USB port on the dash in my 2012. If I plug my stuff straight in, it has a dead spot, but if i rotate it about 7 degrees to the right it always works.

As for distance, you could be pushing the limits at 50 feet if it's not a good transmitter. Tadi brothers has 65 to 120 ft range equipment for what I consider a reasonable price. They have a wide variety of selections as well and their stuff all works together.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Bowti

I would run both the +/- fused wires right off the battery connections. To me this would be easier that looking for wires underneath the dash and would let you know whether or not your lighter socket is faulty or not. Nothing like going right to the source.
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
FireMech

Your diodes in your alternator could be going bad and causing AC ripple interference. Have it checked out by a shop or google it. Sometimes the radio can cause weird problems like you are having.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
homer3

Camera

Yeah connecting to back of lighter is probably a better idea. I don't want to start splicing wires. Still trying to verify issue.

John
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
Bowti

I have been reading just about everything I could find on rear view cameras for the back of our FW, so we can monitor our scooter carrier.

Not everyone, but most with wireless cameras seem to experience some kind of interference from time to time.

I also checked with a back up wireless manufacturer and asked if I could wire it to the tail lights for constant monitoring and was told it was not designed for that, and it was not recommended. Also the transmitters on these devices don't lend themselves to a easy set up on the back of the TT or FW.

So I decided a wired system was the way to go, as most everyone who used them seem to think the wiring was easy enough to run. The wired systems also seemed to have less problems.

I went with this one but do not have it installed yet so can't give a review.

Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213
Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Bowti,

That's the same system I've got on my fifth wheel. We originally bought it for the Springdale, liked it so much that when we traded, I took it off that trailer and installed it on the new trailer. It's been a "flawless" system every time we've towed with it. I usually tow a 18' bass boat behind the fifth wheel, I can see from the tongue to past the outboard with good visibility. I've even started using it when we single tow, just to see who (or what) is right behind me, out of the view of my mirrors.

I'm sold on the Rear View Safety systems. The only "drawback" which really could also be called an "asset" is the size of the monitor. It's not easy to find a place to install such a large monitor where it's "out of the way" of everything.

RVS has a "mirror clipon" monitor that attaches to the center mirror in the truck. I'm considering buying that to replace the dash/console mount 7" monitor just so I can see all the dash without the monitor being in the way. But, there is only a 4" monitor in the clipon, so I'm going to be giving up a bit of the visibility, in that the smaller monitor will be a bit harder to glance at and get a clear picture. (At least for my "tired eyes")

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Bowti

John, your previous posts on the system is one of the major reasons I purchased it. Thanks, Bill

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Williston324

Bill, that's the one I installed (wrote it up in mods section) and have now used it towing from Canada to Key West and half way back up Florida. It has performed flawlessly. The picture is very clear. I've only turned the sound up a couple of times while setting up and it was decent. Mine stays on constantly while towing and is a great asset when determing when traffic has been cleared. The wiring cable is good quality and is a quick connect when loading/unloading. Highly recommend this product.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
Soreeyesuk

One problem we have over here in the UK with rear wireless cameras is the lack of range and also wireless household door bells which can produce the effect of driving along then you loose signal while driving down a road .

Not sure if you use the same frequencies as over here .

Dave
Soreeyesuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Bowti

JR or Will,
Planning on starting the install tomorrow and wondering about camera placement. I would like to keep a eye on my scooter which is mounted close to the back bumper. I am afraid if I install the camera up high like you have it, I would have to point it down too far which would restrict the view of vehicles following me.

If I mount the camera about mid way up the back, do you think this would give me both a view of the scooter and traffic behind me?

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks Bill

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Bowti,

Mounting it midway up the rear wall will give you a more directional view, but are there cabinets inside to route the wiring through the wall and hide it inside? Also, do you want the camera that low? There is a lot more potential for someone or something to contact it and pull/loosen it the lower you mount on the wall.

Mine is about 3" under the center clearance light (YES, be careful, there is a 2x2 aluminum stud exactly there) I drilled through the outer wall with a 1/8" 12" long bit ( to mark the inside hole) and then came back with a 5/8" drill to complete the hole in the outer skin only, then went inside to complete the inside hole the same way. I routed the camera wiring and plug through the outer hole, around the stud and through the inner hole, then connected the long cable to the camera plug and started routing the "mess" forward to the pin box.

I can see from about 1' behind the boat hitch to the end of the boat (about 23 or 24 ft) with the camera angled as I normally have it. I can also aim the camera further back if the boat is not hitched and see traffic at whatever angle I aim the camera.

I understand your desire to monitor the M/C and traffic behind you. Mounting the camera lower would give you that capability. The only disadvantage I can see is that the camera would be more vulnerable to people touching (or stealing) it and/or to it being damaged or damaging the mounting area on the back wall if it's that low. Remember, that black camera really stands out against the white rear skin, so anybody who happens by will have no trouble seeing it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
Bowti

JR, good point about it being vulnerable, if I place it lower.

I plan on running the cable on the outside for now and using the plastic conduit to clean up the installation.

Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it goes.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs