Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Scoob

Maxxis Tires

Hello forum experts.

We upgraded from a small TT for a new to us 2008 Cougar 244rl.

Anyhow the tires look like they have been on there for years so I began my search for replacements. Right now it looks like its down to the GY Endurance or the often recommended Maxxis 8008.

The question I have is that the maxxis dont list a speed rating (that I can find) like the GY tires do. Are they not speed rated meaning you are limited to 65 with them?

Thanks for any input.
Scoob
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Canonman

We just upgraded to the Carlisle HD's. But, when we were looking, the Maxxis were speed rated "Q", 65MPH. Things may have changed since then but that's the last I've found
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My question would be, what is the concern? 65 mph pulling a trailer of any size with anything less than a 1 ton dually is silliness (bit of an exaggeration). I see it all the time but I also look at them and know the IQ meter doesn't go far.......

Not knocking your question or concern, just pointing out that 65 mph is pretty adequate with any size trailer.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We just upgraded to the Carlisle HD's. But, when we were looking, the Maxxis were speed rated "Q", 65MPH. Things may have changed since then but that's the last I've found
A "Q" speed rating is not 65 mph......it's 99 mph!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
notanlines

This site I'm posting is a relatively interesting read from a very popular company concerning the lettering on a tire description.

https://www.tiresplus.com/tires/tire...-speed-rating/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
A "Q" speed rating is not 65 mph......it's 99 mph!
MY BAD!!
Found my old notes and X Rated is correct. Self flogging in progress
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
NorskeBob

Put Maxxis on our last trailer - ordered from Discount tire and had a local shop mount them. Had the tires balanced too - the aluminum wheels took quit a bit of weight to balance them

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
Old 03-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My question would be, what is the concern? 65 mph pulling a trailer of any size with anything less than a 1 ton dually is silliness (bit of an exaggeration). I see it all the time but I also look at them and know the IQ meter doesn't go far.......

Not knocking your question or concern, just pointing out that 65 mph is pretty adequate with any size trailer.
Absolutely agree with this ^^^^^^!
On our trip through Nevada, Utah, Mew Mexico, West Texas then back through New Mexico and Arizona to California, we were amazed at how fast some folks tow. Come up close behind - whip out into the passing lane - and pass us like we were up on jacks - and then cut back in with barely room to clear. Laid back in the seat - one wrist resting on top of the wheel! Crazy, crazy. Guess they all all in a big hurry!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 03-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
MY BAD!!
It's so rare for me, I may print this out and frame it!

I run Maxxis 8008s also and this is the third trailer I've used them on. Previous trailers were smaller enclosed trailers, but the point is that I've never had any issues with any of the Maxxis brand tires that I've had on any trailer they were on.

And BTW...I usually tow this trailer/Toy Hauler around 65 mph, with an occasional 70 mph burst if I'm trying to get around a slower moving vehicle and there is a long line of cars and trucks approaching me.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Scoob

Quote:
MY BAD!!
Pics or it didnt happen
Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
Scoob

I see that the Maxxis are always well received.

Do they have the speed rating on the tire?

PLEASE tell me if I am wrong but I was told that if they dont have the rating on the tire that it means the tire is not rated for more than 65 mph.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Pics or it didnt happen
Whoa there, can we have a vote on that?

All in favor say aye!.........result = 0
Those opposed........result = everyone!

The opposed have it, motion denied and so carried!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:

For trailer owners using ST tires - or any other - the primary concern about a speed rating is not about the speed but what the tire can carry. Tires all have a maximum load capacity displayed on their sidewalls. Those with speed letters such as "L" for 75 MPH are certified by their builder to be able to carry their full load capacity up to and including 75 MPH before they start being severely degraded by excessive speed. Any ST tire that is void of any speed letter or other form of speed rating on it's sidewall has a default speed rating of 65 MPH which is a standard set by TRA for such tires.

And, "oh, our ST tires are rated for a "Q" speed rating" from a Maxxis rep or dealer just wont cut it. What's on the tire is official, what it defaults to without any other documentation is official.

China manufactured ST tires can no longer get their tires thru customs without a speed letter or other speed rating designation on their sidewalls. To do so causes them to pay increased tariffs. All of the Maxxis ST tires may come from Thailand. Different tariff situation. Probably why they cost a little more than China tires of the same size and design.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
ChuckS

Maxxis Tires

I did not see a speed rating either for Maxis tires. Either GY or Maxis would be a good tire for your RV..

Inflate tire to recommend pressure on sidewall and drive at 62 to 65... the tires will last longer, your ride should be more stable at this speed, your MPG will most certainly be at its best..

You will have adequate time to react to road conditions and changes.

Running over 65 towing any RV is just not wise... in my opinion. Many do, I don’t .. my truck and RV will last much longer at slower speeds and my pucker factor will remain low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
ChuckS

The paragraph on this pic is interesting about TK tires with STR rating. No way I’d run this tire 10 psi over and at 70 mph. Very poor info I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 03-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
Frank G

Quote:

May I ask how fast I may drive when my new F450 arrives?? I know your IQ is above the rest...but us under IQ'd need to know.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
May I ask how fast I may drive when my new F450 arrives?? I know your IQ is above the rest...but us under IQ'd need to know.

You may drive as fast as you want. What you do to you, your family and your stuff is up to you....as long as it doesn't involve others in a detrimental way.

I didn't say my IQ was above anyone's or that you, or anyone else was "under IQ'd", but, I am smart enough to realize a person pulling a 30+' trailer with an F150 at 80mph isn't too sharp....hopefully you are as well. IMO that would go for your new F450 too.

Also IMO 65 is plenty fast to tow a large trailer simply due to the inability to control a large mass in a desperate situation. And yes, I've sped up to 70 mph when I've had to.

My point is the relevance of a speed rating of 99, 106, 112 etc. for an ST tire. I guess it's a good to know parameter. Am I going to buy one if it's rated for more than 65 mph and the tire is what I need/want? Sure - but it won't be a factor in my choosing a tire because I don't intend to stretch that limit.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer for you.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
vampress_me

Quote:
My point is the relevance of a speed rating of 99, 106, 112 etc. for an ST tire. I guess it's a good to know parameter. Am I going to buy one if it's rated for more than 65 mph and the tire is what I need/want? Sure - but it won't be a factor in my choosing a tire because I don't intend to stretch that limit.
Now I have to stick my finger in the pot and stir a little. (Sorry everybody in advance) To me, it’s very good to know the parameter of the tire as far as speed rating goes, and will make a difference in what tire I buy for a trailer or a vehicle. It’s no different than a tire on my Mustang. I have W or Y rated tires (don’t remember which). Do I ever drive over 85 anymore in that car? Not much since MT took away resonable and prudent, and we moved to MN. But I still buy higher rated tires. To me, the extra work the tire manufacturer had to put into that tire to get the Y rating *should* equate to a tire that is better able to handle anything I decide to do, or have to do to evade others doing things they shouldn’t be doing on the road.

Same goes for a trailer tire, in my opinion. The speed rating will make a difference in what tire I buy, if at all possible, for the same reason. I like what CWtheMan wrote in a comment - “Those with speed letters such as "L" for 75 MPH are certified by their builder to be able to carry their full load capacity up to and including 75 MPH before they start being severely degraded by excessive speed”. Again, for me, the extra factor of safety makes me happier and feel better.

But, all of what I wrote is just my opinion.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
Old 03-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
notanlines

Why not just go by what ChuckS posted about Marathons and Towmax tires, blast the rig on up to about 75-80 and go from there. Shoot fire, if ten will get you 75, then 20 will get you 85. Can any of you seriously imagine towing a Raptor with a couple bikes in the back down I-80 in Pennsylvania with Towmax rubber on the road? God help us all.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Now I have to stick my finger in the pot and stir a little. (Sorry everybody in advance) To me, it’s very good to know the parameter of the tire as far as speed rating goes, and will make a difference in what tire I buy for a trailer or a vehicle. It’s no different than a tire on my Mustang. I have W or Y rated tires (don’t remember which). Do I ever drive over 85 anymore in that car? Not much since MT took away resonable and prudent, and we moved to MN. But I still buy higher rated tires. To me, the extra work the tire manufacturer had to put into that tire to get the Y rating *should* equate to a tire that is better able to handle anything I decide to do, or have to do to evade others doing things they shouldn’t be doing on the road.

Same goes for a trailer tire, in my opinion. The speed rating will make a difference in what tire I buy, if at all possible, for the same reason. I like what CWtheMan wrote in a comment - “Those with speed letters such as "L" for 75 MPH are certified by their builder to be able to carry their full load capacity up to and including 75 MPH before they start being severely degraded by excessive speed”. Again, for me, the extra factor of safety makes me happier and feel better.

But, all of what I wrote is just my opinion.

Thanks for stirring....

I agree with you generally; particularly on car tires. Back when I bought sporty cars it was one of the things I looked for first in a performance tire. Not so with an RV...."sporty" driving is not exactly what I plan to do with the trailer.

As far as it giving you an extra safety factor? Maybe for speed. As the quote from CW said it gives the tire the capacity to run X before they are "severely" degraded by "excessive" speed. To me the load range gives me the "strength" of the tire and the speed rating tells me how long the rubber will hold together at SPEED. Since I intend to drive 65 the elevated speed ratings don't have too much bearing on my choice; I don't intend to drive at a higher rate of speed to see how long the rubber will hold together.

But, to each his own. Like car and trailer parameters they all have a place and some mean more than others to different people. I wouldn't fault anyone for considering the speed rating of an ST tire.....as long as the load range took precedence in the consideration. IMO
Closed Thread

Tags
tires