Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
hdrolling

Camper world can't attach my front decal.

So my 2015 Keystone Raptor has been at Camper world Hope Mills since July, I started the front main decal warranty process in June.

Since it has a 5 yr warranty they ordered a new decal and when it arrived in the end of July they had me drop off my rig and said it shouldn't be more than a week.

Well it took a couple weeks for them to remove the original faded and cracked decal because it was so brittle, and using a heet gun they ruined the pain.

So almost a month and a half to remove the old decal and repaint the front, then they installed the top half of the sticker but ruined the bottom.

So I had to wait for a new bottom sticker to come in, well now 4 months later they just ruined their forth sticker.

They tried their shop guy once then hired a professional, and he ruined the second one because the sticker is so large. Then they tried tier shop guy again and last week was the pro decal installer.

So coming up on 5 months I'm at a loss of what to do about it, last month I talked to the store manager and he said it is all their fault and their working to get it right.

My issue is I put a bed shell/cap on the back of my dually in the winter and it's a pain to get on and off. We start our holiday travels soon and put all our luggage in the bed of the truck. I don't want to install it until my camper is put back in storage, camper world said I could take it storage and they could have the guy come try to install the decal there but I'm afraid if I take my camper I will have to keep hounding them and my job will be low priority.

Should I take it to storage and roll a dice on whether they can apply my decal there, or maybe ask once it's done if they could haul my camper to my storage?

I'm beyound frustrated with this dealer.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd talk to the dealer and see if they can help with putting the trailer in storage once they finish "playing with decals".... Seems that even though they've not been able to apply the decal properly, at least they haven't given up on the job. That says a lot for their "do it right" mentality and it looks like they are trying to be "good service oriented"....

That said, I understand your frustration, but it looks like the dealer is the kind that would try to accommodate your needs if you talk to him about the situation with the cap. From your description, he sounds like the "accommodating type"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with John but it sure sounds like they have an issue with decal installers. I know getting RV work done is slow and tedious but 4 passes on trying to put on a decal is a little "fer fetched" to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
TyeeMan

I definitely would not have them try to install a decal in storage, , out side.
Presuming they are trying to install the sticker inside their shop and they still can't do it, now try installing a big sticker in the wind or breeze with dust and whatever else in the air.
As said earlier, at least they are putting forth the effort to make it right.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Tinner12002

I think I'd be getting a hold of the factory rep and see if your RV could be taken to the factory so it could be done right...would be worth the trip for me!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Decal application isn't "rocket science".... Using Dawn, water and a spray bottle, it's a "no brainer" to install a 3'x6' decal. Just locate the trailer out of the sunlight, clean the front cap, spray it down with "soapy water", apply the decal, slide it into position and squeegee the excess soapy water from under the decal (that's why it has holes in it)... I can see possibly messing up ONE decal, but 4 ????? SHEESH, NO WAY !!!!!

There is absolutely no need to return a trailer to the factory for a decal. Especially from North Carolina to Indiana !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Decal application isn't "rocket science".... Using Dawn, water and a spray bottle, it's a "no brainer" to install a 3'x6' decal. Just locate the trailer out of the sunlight, clean the front cap, spray it down with "soapy water", apply the decal, slide it into position and squeegee the excess soapy water from under the decal (that's why it has holes in it)... I can see possibly messing up ONE decal, but 4 ????? SHEESH, NO WAY !!!!!

There is absolutely no need to return a trailer to the factory for a decal. Especially from North Carolina to Indiana !!!
+1

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Tinner12002

Was just saying in my opinion if nothing else worked and I couldn't find anyone to do it, I would take mine to the factory unless after contacting the rep, he recommended someplace else to take it. Not saying it would be a simple fix.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Was just saying in my opinion if nothing else worked and I couldn't find anyone to do it, I would take mine to the factory unless after contacting the rep, he recommended someplace else to take it. Not saying it would be a simple fix.
It's 821 miles from Gray's Creek, NC to Goshen, IN. That makes it a 1642 mile trip to the factory and back. At 8 MPG, that's 205 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon, that's $615 in fuel costs, plus wear/tear on the tow vehicle, travel time, expenses along the way, motel/campground expenses while in Goshen, vacation pay/loss of pay, not to mention "incidentals" that might happen. You're looking at the probability of spending $1000 or more and a week of your time, none of which is reimbursable by Keystone.

Is it really that important to get a decal done at the factory vs letting the dealership keep working at it until they get it right?

For most, a trip to the factory for a decal just doesn't wash..... YMMV

Anybody who built plastic model airplanes as a kid knows how to apply decals, and honestly, other than "appearance" a decal doesn't affect anything about the function or usability of the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
travelin texans

If they painted the nose & having that much difficulty, I think I'd do without the decal & use the trailer. Five months & still at it, as JRTJH said it ain't rocket science.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
Canonman

I did read where the dealer had brought in a professional. Is there possibly a company that specializes in commercial vehicle advertising "wraps" in the area? We've used these services and I would think if they can wrap advertising vinyl around all the nooks and crannies of a whole car/truck, they could certainly put on a nose decal.
Might be an alternative
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	14639  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #12
bobbecky

Wow, after all that much effort and all you've actually gotten is a new paint job on the nose. I would consider just taking the rig back without the decal and having an artist airbrush a picture of your choice on the nose. I've seen some beautiful pictures and scenes painted on the rear of large motor homes rolling down the road, and thought that's what I would have done to the front of ours if the need arose.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #13
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's 821 miles from Gray's Creek, NC to Goshen, IN. That makes it a 1642 mile trip to the factory and back. At 8 MPG, that's 205 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon, that's $615 in fuel costs, plus wear/tear on the tow vehicle, travel time, expenses along the way, motel/campground expenses while in Goshen, vacation pay/loss of pay, not to mention "incidentals" that might happen. You're looking at the probability of spending $1000 or more and a week of your time, none of which is reimbursable by Keystone.

Is it really that important to get a decal done at the factory vs letting the dealership keep working at it until they get it right?

For most, a trip to the factory for a decal just doesn't wash..... YMMV

Anybody who built plastic model airplanes as a kid knows how to apply decals, and honestly, other than "appearance" a decal doesn't affect anything about the function or usability of the trailer.
Yes I understand that, but whats it worth to not have use of your RV for 5-6 months. I was merely stating a possible option. That's all I'm saying about it.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:38 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Depending on the body contours, decals can be a PITA, but I agree it’s not rocket science.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #15
Dave W

When the dealer painted the front cap on ours, he went through three of the Montana 'mountain' scenes until I said that he should just send me the next one and I'll get it taken care of - I need the RV NOW. He put the 'Montana' and 'spears' on and that 'mountain' scene, which I really don't like much anyhow, is in a box in our S&B basement for another eventual owner to worry about. IMO, our 5er's decals and the cap are much neater looking now. Others opinions - of course they will differ
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote