Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Think Javi put out the fire [emoji38]

Sorry, you will have to catch the next round, however, do not worry I am sure it will not be a long wait
Give it time... [emoji12]

Javi
Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
cardinal96ss

Well this was another fun read on the same ol subject. Thanks everyone.
Bet it happens before April.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #23
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
Well this was another fun read on the same ol subject. Thanks everyone.
Bet it happens before April.
I'll second that! We have some very entertaining and knowledgeable people on this site.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #24
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS0307 View Post
Let me further clarify...I do have the 6.6 duramax. Extended cab, long bed. I know that changes many factors. Any change of thoughts?!
2 things you need to do .

1 - read the drivers side door post tag for actual weights

2 - hit a scale and get actual real life weights of your configuration

Both should lead you to being overweight . I've been there done that and argued the point . End of the day , I bought a dually and shut my mouth , lol
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
Todd727

Once you get the weights, here is an easy place to insert them and get your numbers. As you can see, you will have to weigh twice. Once hooked up and once with just the truck. I know it's a hassle, but you asked the question, so we've given you the tools to find your answer.

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...WheelCatScales
Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

The 338db is too big for a regular 3/4 ton IMO. The pin is 2390 dry per Keystone. I know one poster thought it might be reversed and 1700 should be the pin. If you look at the website that would make the 338 pin weight much less than ANY of the other trailers while it is the, or one of the, largest so....gotta go with the website.

The 2390 pin will only go up; how much? 500 lbs? At least. Substantially more? Probably. At that point you need to look at the sticker on the door for payload. Take the anticipated pin weight, and the weights of all the things mentioned previously and you will be WELL over 3000 lbs.; maybe 4000. A 3/4 ton, of any kind, does not have that kind of payload. I know you think that the Duramax makes it better....not really. The diesel makes a big hit on your payload. It is a fine dance between payload, towing capacity, axle weights etc. As was suggested, load the truck and trailer up completely as if going on a month vacation. Take it to a scale and see where you land. You will be over payload if not a number of other indexes.

You have to realize there are some that believe if your truck will make it move you're good to go...you're not. Some will tell you "hey, it's a 3/4 ton but it can do anything a one ton can, it's just politics and it's rebadged "because".....that's not the case. It is a way for those running over their legal limits to justify it in their minds. Heck, one of them passed me on my way back from FL. 3/4 ton Ford, Landmark 5th wheel, bed drooped, ran past me at at least 75. Laughing, having a brew. Wind blowing about 30 or so. I'm rock steady in my rig at 65. These yahoos are all over both lanes (from time to time. At times they did stay in the same lane) with people trying to get out of their way. I'm positive they had justified in their mind that they were "good to go" and that 3/4 ton was really a 350 or 450 in disguise. Well, I guess everyone knew differently other than them.

Just load it all up, weigh it, look at the numbers on your truck and trailer and you make the decision.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The 338db is too big for a regular 3/4 ton IMO. The pin is 2390 dry per Keystone. I know one poster thought it might be reversed and 1700 should be the pin. If you look at the website that would make the 338 pin weight much less than ANY of the other trailers while it is the, or one of the, largest so....gotta go with the website.

The 2390 pin will only go up; how much? 500 lbs? At least. Substantially more? Probably. At that point you need to look at the sticker on the door for payload. Take the anticipated pin weight, and the weights of all the things mentioned previously and you will be WELL over 3000 lbs.; maybe 4000. A 3/4 ton, of any kind, does not have that kind of payload. I know you think that the Duramax makes it better....not really. The diesel makes a big hit on your payload. It is a fine dance between payload, towing capacity, axle weights etc. As was suggested, load the truck and trailer up completely as if going on a month vacation. Take it to a scale and see where you land. You will be over payload if not a number of other indexes.

You have to realize there are some that believe if your truck will make it move you're good to go...you're not. Some will tell you "hey, it's a 3/4 ton but it can do anything a one ton can, it's just politics and it's rebadged "because".....that's not the case. It is a way for those running over their legal limits to justify it in their minds. Heck, one of them passed me on my way back from FL. 3/4 ton Ford, Landmark 5th wheel, bed drooped, ran past me at at least 75. Laughing, having a brew. Wind blowing about 30 or so. I'm rock steady in my rig at 65. These yahoos are all over both lanes (from time to time. At times they did stay in the same lane) with people trying to get out of their way. I'm positive they had justified in their mind that they were "good to go" and that 3/4 ton was really a 350 or 450 in disguise. Well, I guess everyone knew differently other than them.

Just load it all up, weigh it, look at the numbers on your truck and trailer and you make the decision.
I was going to just post the part necessary, BUT this is where the weight police start going overboard as much as the those that say a 3/4 ton can tow 16,000#!

Well the 338DB, only has a payload of 1,700#, so getting to 4,000# will be a little hard.
What is scary, is the 338DB at 37' only has a payload of 1,700#! That and it has a W/D prep!

I for one would love to see the OP's numbers before and after, might be interesting.
GM's have light trucks, so his payload might have some room.

To the morons that passed you, would it matter if they had a one ton DRW, likely would have been all over the road.

Your last statement is what we all really need to know, loaded weights.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Per 2012 Chevy Specs

Quote:
Let me further clarify...I do have the 6.6 duramax. Extended cab, long bed. I know that changes many factors. Any change of thoughts?!
Your max payload for this truck is 3358 lbs. for a stripped model. Other accessories will take off of this. Keep in mind we are not trying to tell you what you can and cannot do. We've all been there. We've almost all at one time or another exceded the weight limits of our trucks. What we are saying is that it is not a matter of making 1 of the multitude of weight parameters. It is a matter of making all of them.

Most trucks, will run out of payload before they run out of capacity to pull. The Duramax is strong, as I noted earlier. The manufacturer still lists the truck as having a maximum trailer weight of 13,000 lbs. and a gross combined weight rating of 30,000 for the pair. Just a guess, but I am thinking that if the trailer max is 13k, if your truck weight 17K, that is a heck of a 3/4 ton truck! Point being you run out of other capacities before you reach the max that the Duramax can tow. It doesn't negate all of the other numbers.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #29
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Why hasn't anybody just said add air bags...that makes it all better right?

I'm getting up to put more butter on my popcorn!!
Just read this far before making popcorn. If a helper spring is added can he not tow Trump Tower?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #30
x96mnn

Quote:
I have numerous different places telling me that this truck can haul up to 14,700. If I am doing my math correct. Dry weight for my 5er if 9,875# with a carrying capacity of 2250. Those numbers together give me 12,125. That allows me to have 2,575 pounds left to play with for bed supplies, people weight, and my 65 pound dog.

Correct?
Your combining what your rig can haul with what your rig can carry. Theses are two different things.

My truck can haul 24000pds and carry 5925pds. I cannot load 20000pds in the back of my truck and haul a trailer 4000pds! I will destroy my truck and an accident could be in trouble depending on the lawyer on the other side.

Now I could haul a 24000pd trailer which would have a pin weight around 3600pds giving me 1300pds for me and any extras in the truck. Would I do it? Not a chance! My reason is based on experience which includes towing way over my TV's limits! From my experience towing a trailer near or over 80% of the max tow weight is no fun. I find the feeling of pushed, pulled and sway caused by the trailer stressful! My ability to control an emergency situation with such setup limited and the anxiety already in place would make such a situation more dangerous!

That is me though, every other person is different. My advice based on been there, done that is your in for a rough ride if it was me behind the wheel.

You will hear the term weight police and I have another term which is "law does not matter police" these are the guys who feel the more people on the road over the limit makes it ok.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #31
Tbos

What does the payload sticker on your truck say? You need to consider all your numbers when you are looking at your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #32
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Just read this far before making popcorn. If a helper spring is added can he not tow Trump Tower?
With the proper loading, trailer and weight distribution any id0t knows it will haul it Stopping and corrnering with it may be another story....
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I was going to just post the part necessary, BUT this is where the weight police start going overboard as much as the those that say a 3/4 ton can tow 16,000#!

Well the 338DB, only has a payload of 1,700#, so getting to 4,000# will be a little hard.
What is scary, is the 338DB at 37' only has a payload of 1,700#! That and it has a W/D prep!

I for one would love to see the OP's numbers before and after, might be interesting.
GM's have light trucks, so his payload might have some room.

To the morons that passed you, would it matter if they had a one ton DRW, likely would have been all over the road.

Your last statement is what we all really need to know, loaded weights.
I figured you would pop in

You, nor I, have any idea how Keystone specs the trailer, but it is spec'd. And the numbers are there whether you agree or not....it is irrelevant.

With a 2390 dry pin weight, washer/dryer up front and the pass through.....do we think the trailer won't hit 3000 lbs.? If you read my post I said 3000? 4000? Food for thought.

I am not the weight police. I am actually trying to inject common sense to those that refuse to believe in established norms/laws/real life.

A poster said this truck, GMC Sierra 3/4 ton Duramax has a payload of 3358lbs. That link needs to be posted. If that is correct, and I've never seen anything like it, I need to switch horses and go to GM (I won't).

Now, for the weight slip.............
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I figured you would pop in

You, nor I, have any idea how Keystone specs the trailer, but it is spec'd. And the numbers are there whether you agree or not....it is irrelevant.

With a 2390 dry pin weight, washer/dryer up front and the pass through.....do we think the trailer won't hit 3000 lbs.? If you read my post I said 3000? 4000? Food for thought.

I am not the weight police. I am actually trying to inject common sense to those that refuse to believe in established norms/laws/real life.

A poster said this truck, GMC Sierra 3/4 ton Duramax has a payload of 3358lbs. That link needs to be posted. If that is correct, and I've never seen anything like it, I need to switch horses and go to GM (I won't).

Now, for the weight slip.............
Around pages 8 and 9.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4tkor951u1g3Cw

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #35
Orlando3

Wow.....the pop corn.....pop corn jokes, the OP asked for help, not a bunch of "Im so perfect" answers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
Orlando3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Comments about popcorn had nothing to do with "I'm so perfect" answers...everything to do with the continued LONG threads these type of questions bring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Around pages 8 and 9.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
I see 3066 for a double cab, which I assume everyone pretty much uses now, and that is for a truck with "nothing" on it - not the Sierra, as the literature says. The payload for a Sierra would probably be in the 2500 lb. I imagine so, what does the sticker say????

And yes, it has nothing to do with the "I'm so perfect" answers/opinions. It has to do with fact, legality, safety and common sense. Sorry, off my horse now.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando3 View Post
Wow.....the pop corn.....pop corn jokes, the OP asked for help, not a bunch of "Im so perfect" answers.

Just to note, there has been plenty of help offered in these posts. If you do a search on popcorn on the forum, most of them will have to do with towing heavy or tires. It happens...a lot...a really big lot.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #39
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando3 View Post

The popcorn has nothing to do with "I'm so perfect" and it is not meant to offend the OP. It has to do with the quantity and quality (and "entertainment value" of some of the posts) of these threads, which come up on a very regular basis.

What is sad is most of these posts happen "after" the OP has already bought everything and it is too late. What is even sadder is when an OP does in fact post beforehand, and then refuses to listen to the advice given and still buys a trailer too big or a TV too small.

The OP has a reasonable question, and has been given sound advice, as well as a phone number of a knowledgeable member. The popcorn has nothing to do with that.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #40
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Around pages 8 and 9.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
The max payloads listed are for W/T (work truck) stripped models with gas engine. The OPs truck will weigh in around 7,200-7,400 lbs (if my memory is correct from my 2011 2500 dmax). Since we don't have all of the deatials of the truck, his GVWR is either 9,500 or 9,900. Based on my calculations, worst case scenario he has about 2,100 lbs of payload, best case is going to be 2,700 lbs. By the time he adds everything, hitch, family, gear, etc....my guess is he'll be adding between 3,000 to 3,500 lbs. As everyone has already stated, the scales will tell the real numbers, but I'll go ahead and put this out that I wouldn't be surprised if the scales show 1,000 lbs over weight. That's why I know longer have a 2500!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote