Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Adding to what John said ^^^, I guess Keystone thought the little "safety pin" was costing too much, my current rig came with a piece of tape over the switch instead. If I didn't know the switch was there I probably would not have removed the tape to find it. $50K RV and they skimp on a 5¢ part.
I completely agree with you, but wonder if it's a five cent part or a penny part ??? It's for sure a "CHEAP PART" !!!

I'd wonder if we can blame Keystone or if it's Suburban who is "squeezing the penny" on this one. Pretty much all Keystone (and other RV manufacturers) do is order the "standard components" from the individual suppliers. What gets delivered is what the manufacturer is producing (in China or in the US). I can't imagine Keystone specifying a switch without the safety pin. That would mean "special orders for Keystone parts" and probably would increase the price per unit. My bet is that it's Suburban that's the "cheap guy" on this one.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #22
DNKCowboyFan

I think that whether you run with propane or electric is a personal preference, and you probably can experiment and see what works best for you. I would echo the posts regarding the dangers of having the electric on, and not having the tank filled with water. If you turn it on, be sure the tank is filled with water by running the hot water faucets inside until water runs through. I always run mine on propane only for a couple reasons. One, I don't want to run the risk of having it on with no water in it as mentioned. But mainly, I like to be able to control when he the heater is on and when it isn't with the switch inside. If the electric is on, and you switch off the inside control panel, it will only turn off propane and will keep heating with the electric. These tanks heat water so fast, that I often turn mine off at night, or when gone for long periods, then turn it back on when I need it.
DNKCowboyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #23
Bohdan

Fuzion

Greetings Folks,
I have a new to me, 2010 Fuzion Limited Edition 2. Suburban SW12DE Water Heater. I see the electric switch in the corner. In addition, there is a water heater switch with a red "reset" light next to it right above the toilet in the inside. The light stays on for about 5 seconds then goes out. When the light inside is turned on, the propane kicks in and doesn't go off. If the outside switch is put on by itself, does this only triggers the element? What about thermostat? Mighty obliged.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #24
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
Greetings Folks,
I have a new to me, 2010 Fuzion Limited Edition 2. Suburban SW12DE Water Heater. I see the electric switch in the corner. In addition, there is a water heater switch with a red "reset" light next to it right above the toilet in the inside. The light stays on for about 5 seconds then goes out. When the light inside is turned on, the propane kicks in and doesn't go off. If the outside switch is put on by itself, does this only triggers the element? What about thermostat? Mighty obliged.
The link below is for a thread from earlier today. I think it may help answer your question.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=38201

The switch with the red light is for the propane heating and the other switch is for electric heating. They can be used together or individually. Is used together they heat the water faster.

Edit-make sure the water heater has water in it when you turn on the electric side. If there is no water the heating element will quickly fail.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater