Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Koladog

Mountaineer Freeze Guard

First time winterizing my 2013 Mountaineer. Drained and pressurized all the water out. Attached hose to the freeze guard inlet with the other end in the antifreeze jug. Flipped to switch to WINTERIZE. Turned on the water pump but it did not suck out the Antifreeze. I let the water pump for a while but still no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Have you got any of your water faucets open?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

JUST FOR GIGGELS por some antufreeze in the fresh water tank turn the winterise sw to normal run the pump if it primes up the switch back and see if it works.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Koladog

Hi Festus2. I think some taps were left on when we pressurized all the water out. Does that make a difference? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Koladog

I fill the fresh water tank through the city intake which works by pressure. Can I just 'pour' antifreeze through that inlet into the fresh water tank? If I can.... I see where you're going with this!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

RV antifreeze can find its way into the water lines by one of two ways: 1) by using the RV's water pump and a separate container filled with antifreeze which is drawn into the pump and then forced throughout the lines when the pump is turned on OR 2) by pouring RV antifreeze into your fresh water tank, turning the pump on and let it do its job to get the pink stuff into the lines.

Both ways will work. Some find one method easier than the other. One advantage of not using the FW tank method is that you are not left with any RV antifreeze to get rid of and flush out when you de-winterize. You may also use less of the pink stuff if you don't pour it into the FW tank.

I'm not familiar enough with the "freeze guard inlet" setup on your Mountaineer to know how it works. I just use a special adaptor on the pump, hook up a short hose to a container of RV antifreeze and turn the pump on. Nothing goes into the FW tank and I don'[t have to flush it out come Spring. I prefer this method but the other works too.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
mr.windows1

This may sound stupid but I posted this same issue a year ago and was baffled! To keep it short I hauled my trailer all the way back to the dealer to be told that I was suppose to use the little coil hose that comes with the outside shower even the service rep was surprised by this but believe it or not the pump started to build pressure and suck antifreeze, all I can come up with is that the ID of the hose is small to allow the correct amount of pressure to build up it still baffles me today but it works! Hope this saves you the headache I had a year ago, please post back and let me know if it worked!
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
mr.windows1

Koladog,you should have a similar system as mine as I posted prior you did everything right assuming your pump is not bad, just take that coil hose and screw it into the freeze guard port and shove the quick connect end in the antifreeze bottle and turn the pump on and see if it starts drawing from the bottle if so your good to go ,Good Luck!
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Koladog

The person who gave us the new owner walk thru did not mention this; I called my RV dealership this morning - no mention of this; I will try your suggestion tomorrow and will certainly let you know if it works. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
WaltBennett

Just finished winterizing our Montana and used a cut off short piece of garden hose with notches cut into the end going into the jug of pink stuff so it wouldn't seal itself. Had two valves to turn - one to bypass the hot water heater and the second to 'winterize', and had to keep going back & forth turning different water handles on and off. Took just a little over one jug and worked fine.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Walt,

Don't forget the black tank flush, the P traps and the outside shower if you have one

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
ctpd814

I had the same issue a few days ago. What I found was there is a check valve where you screw the hose into the Winterguard system. When you drain the lines, the pump can't draw enough suction to open the check valve. I put one of these in the inlet with the point in to open the check valve:
http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=...FepFMgodiFEAfQ
then screwed the hose in and put the other end in the jug of pink. Then turned on the pump and it started drawing. After I was all done,I removed the hose and used a small flat head screwdriver to remove the screen to close the check valve.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
PND

Mountaineer Freeze Guard

We also have a 2013 Mountaineer, but I blow out all my water lines with air, pull the anode out of the hot water tank, flush it out, use the valves to blow air into the water tank with drain open which clears the line to the tank and tank. Also have a small heater that I put down in the storage area, which keeps the area of the pump warm. I keep the slides in, and have a heater inside to keep things dry and a little warm.
Was told by our dealer to use the blue coil hose to winterize, but have found, for our area, blowing out the lines is the way to go. We don't get into the 20 degree range very often, or for very long. When we move to eastern Washington, the new house has a heated RV garage, so our RV will stay well above freezing.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Koladog

Hi ctpd814. I noticed that check valve as well and it was a little hard to push in making me think that it would take a lot of pressure to suck it open in order to draw out the antifreeze. I'll try your suggestion of using the filter hose washer to keep the valve open.

Thanks to all for all your responses and great suggestions.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Koladog

Hi PND. I wish I had your set up so I can keep my big baby nice and warm throughout the winter. I've had external pipes burst at my house due to freezing so it does get that cold here (I no longer have that pipe on the outside anymore - stupid design). You're probably right that blowing out all the water (which I did) is good enough. I just want to take the extra precautionary step with the antifreeze and ensure that it actually works as they advertised. Thank you for your insight.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Koladog

Freeze guard success

I am very happy to report that both methods as suggested by mr.windows1 and ctpd814 (thank you very much) worked!
Method 1): using the provided shower blue coil hose, attach one end to freeze guard inlet and the other end in the jug of antifreeze
Method 2): using a regular water hose and a water hose washer filter with a strainer big enough to push in the check value, attach the washer and hose to the freeze guard inlet and other end in the jug of antifreeze
Turn on water pump and the antifreeze begins to flow!

My preference would be method 2 because with the blue coiled hose I had to shove a lot of it into the jug in order to reach the bottom and still use a stick to hold it down. With the water hose you don't have that problem.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Happy winterizing.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
WaltBennett

JRTJH - Didn't forget them, nor the 'power fill' line from the city water inlet to the fresh water tank (about 25 feet or so).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeze guard, moutaineer, winterizing