Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Pick_PSD

Need to vent... LCI auto-level

We bought a new 2016 Raptor 405TS in July 2017; WE LOVE IT!! However, I keep having some recurring problems and wanted to get some input on how to keep this thing out of the shop...

After we bought it, we got the trailer home and tried to use the Auto-Level function and the nose lowered down all the way, kept trying to run and then timed out with a jack error message. Found that the trombetta solenoid main power feed was never tightened down and it over-heated and burnt up. Replaced the relay but would never auto-level again.

After our trip, I dropped it off and the dealer said it likely lost its zero reference and would just need to be programmed. Picked it up today and got home, tried to auto-level and the nose lowered all the way down, the jacks continued to try to run and got a low voltage error message. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

I suspect some of this is due to the battery. There are three power connections at the battery (not through the battery disconnect) 1. LCI Auto-Level 2. Jenson In-Command 3. Not positive but suspect Garmin back-up camera. Because of this, the battery is ALWAYS dead. I've read a lot that the LCI is sensitive to voltage so maybe I just need to add a couple of batteries and keep them charged all the time?!? Would love to hear your thoughts

On a side note, I think it cooked my Jenson system. White screen on the DC and it won't do anything different after removing power. Love this camper but we have had it in a couple of times now for the LCI & Jenson system and am beginning to think all the gadgets are going to be nothing but a hassle
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Pick_PSD

Forgot to mention... when I picked the Raptor up today at lunch the battery was dead and had to be connected to a jump box to get the jacks to move. I drove it home (30 mins connected to the truck) then connected it to 50amp shore power for 3 hours before I tried to auto-level (was connected to shore power during auto-level attempt).
Old 03-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Brentw

I think you're looking I the right direction, these things do pull some power all the time, but I am leaning towards your battery condition. Check that it is still good,
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
jsmith948

If you extend the snap jacks (the lower adjustable legs) too far, you will not have extended the motor driven legs far enough to allow enough travel for the auto level to lower the camper from the unhitch height.
We always make sure there is enough "stroke" so that the legs don't bottom out.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
IRV2

When using auto level make sure your nose is high before you push the auto leveler button. If your doing this already and still having issues then I'm sure someone here will help. Also the battery needs to be in good full charge shape. It runs off battery and not shore power. I hope that helps.
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I bet his unit has hydraulic leveling (level up). Reason being is the system will always drop the front first thing. Both the electric and hydraulic seem to be voltage sensitive.

Battery is my first thought.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
ChuckS

I would have two batteries for house DC power... 1 is marginal at best and if it’s been killed a few times , which is what I think I read then I’d address that first

I’d also manually level the fifth wheel and then perform zero point calibration procedure.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...heets/0317.pdf

Then I’d manually raise rear jacks, manually raise front of fifth wheel and press auto level and see what takes place

Id also check the remote front sensor located inside front storage compartment and verify it’s installed right and check all connections to the sensor.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ting_Guide.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
ChuckS

Another thought is he may have to “Home the jacks” to clear the jack times out error.

This is done by extending all six jacks a minimum of 6 inches then fully retracting all six legs up.. this should reset the “jack home” position

The control panel should indicate which one via a red dot on the defective leg failing.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
ChuckS

Also sometimes if the 3.0 control panel has issues you can clear memory by removing control panel, disconnect main connection plug and battery power plug. Wait a minute or two , reconnect plugs, install panel and perform a new zero point cal

Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Pick_PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I bet his unit has hydraulic leveling (level up). Reason being is the system will always drop the front first thing. Both the electric and hydraulic seem to be voltage sensitive.
Correct, it is the hydraulic leveling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d also manually level the fifth wheel and then perform zero point calibration procedure.

Id also check the remote front sensor located inside front storage compartment and verify it’s installed right and check all connections to the sensor.
The dealer had just performed all of these before I picked it up

I’m going to get another battery or two when I get it back to see if that helps. I’ve dropped it back off at the dealer for the Jenson DC issue. Hopefully they can get that going ASAP because we leave for a trip on Friday. I’ll update the thread once I get it back to see what they say…
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Another thought is he may have to “Home the jacks” to clear the jack times out error.

This is done by extending all six jacks a minimum of 6 inches then fully retracting all six legs up.. this should reset the “jack home” position

The control panel should indicate which one via a red dot on the defective leg failing.

This only applies to electric (ground control) hydraulic (level up) doesn’t have a homing procedure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
ChuckS

You stayed dealer performed all of these.... did he check front sensor in front compartment and did he pull control panel out and unplug and reseat connections. ? If not that’s sure where I’d go to.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
ChuckS

It will be interesting to see what dealer finds for issue. Quite frankly I find the hydraulic six point level up system to be very very reliable.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
ChuckS

Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If/when you replace your batteries, they need to be maintained. Either fully charge them and disconnect it from the negative, or keep a trickle charger on it. Or keep it plugged in to shore power between uses. If you don't, the phantom draws will drain it in a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #16
Pick_PSD

Sorry for the delay in updating this; it was a madhouse to pack before we had to leave. No Wifi at the campground here so internet has been a little spotty...

I have been disappointed in the Raptor as it has been in several times for the LCI hydraulic level-up and Jenson In-Command systems but the dealer has been awesome. They have gotten everything I have asked for approved under warranty; a little slow but I can't really complain.

I really believe the heart of the issue with both of these systems is low voltage. The single battery that the Raptor came with (IMO) simply isn't large enough to carry the load. There are three (3) fuses run directly to the battery (LCI, Jenson & one I can't identify) that drain the battery in less than a day if not under charge. I'm going to buy two more and parallel them together to see if that helps.

I will add that we woke up one Sunday morning to the Jenson DC flashing like a disco light. I expected it to never work again but I checked the fuse panel and saw the light beside the "Accessory" fuse lit up. I checked it with my meter and confirmed it was blown. Replaced it and the DC popped right up... whew!! All that to say, I had noticed that same blown fuse indicated light ever so slightly glowing before but didn't really think about it. I suspect that the fuse was weak and contributing to the voltage problem I've been fighting.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick_PSD View Post
Sorry for the delay in updating this; it was a madhouse to pack before we had to leave. No Wifi at the campground here so internet has been a little spotty...

I have been disappointed in the Raptor as it has been in several times for the LCI hydraulic level-up and Jenson In-Command systems but the dealer has been awesome. They have gotten everything I have asked for approved under warranty; a little slow but I can't really complain.

I really believe the heart of the issue with both of these systems is low voltage. The single battery that the Raptor came with (IMO) simply isn't large enough to carry the load. There are three (3) fuses run directly to the battery (LCI, Jenson & one I can't identify) that drain the battery in less than a day if not under charge. I'm going to buy two more and parallel them together to see if that helps.

I will add that we woke up one Sunday morning to the Jenson DC flashing like a disco light. I expected it to never work again but I checked the fuse panel and saw the light beside the "Accessory" fuse lit up. I checked it with my meter and confirmed it was blown. Replaced it and the DC popped right up... whew!! All that to say, I had noticed that same blown fuse indicated light ever so slightly glowing before but didn't really think about it. I suspect that the fuse was weak and contributing to the voltage problem I've been fighting.
Do you have 2 battery boxes? I can't believe a 5er that large didn't come 2 batteries. It sounds like they left the cheapo delivery battery in your 5er when the dealer should've replaced it with 1 or 2 good quality matched deep cycle batteries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
bobbecky

None of these rigs come from the factory with batteries installed. The dealer is the one who puts the battery/batteries in when it is prepared for delivery to the customer. If they would tell the customer ahead of time what battery or batteries they were going to install, the customer could ask for an upgrade or a different battery install. Ours originally came with two group 24 maintenance free RV/Marine batteries, which worked great. I've since changed them out to two of the same, but group 27. Most dealers will install anything you want, just expect to pay for the difference of what they would normally put in.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
None of these rigs come from the factory with batteries installed. The dealer is the one who puts the battery/batteries in when it is prepared for delivery to the customer. If they would tell the customer ahead of time what battery or batteries they were going to install, the customer could ask for an upgrade or a different battery install. Ours originally came with two group 24 maintenance free RV/Marine batteries, which worked great. I've since changed them out to two of the same, but group 27. Most dealers will install anything you want, just expect to pay for the difference of what they would normally put in.

Very true. I worked at a dealership that put reconditioned batteries in new units. As a rule a single gp 24 or 27 is what is installed and most fivers have one box installed. Heartland big horns come with 2 gp 27 boxes and a single 24 battery...figure that one out.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #20
Tinner12002

I had my battery also go dead once after I got mine home when I purchased it. Since then I've installed 3 new batteries and installed another disconnect on the power cord for the computer and the level-up. That's helped but because of phantom battery draining caused by the safety sensors, smoke and co2, I still need to run it about every month to charge up the batteries and exercise the gen. It is pretty unnerving when I've hit auto level and the front has nearly dropped to the ground a couple times! I also think since yours was built there have been some improvements on the control systems and possibly the level-up.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent