Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #21
Barbell

Having had both a 3/4 ton and now a 1 ton dually pulling the same 36 ft rig over the last 5 years, I can say that I would never go back to the single rear or a 3/4 ton TV. Also the newer trucks w/ two stage exhaust brake and tow-haul, mountain towing is a breeze. Had an add-on exhaust brake on my '01 2500 and never needed brake work til after 175000 miles. I have the 5ver brakes and bearings checked every year and have never needed anything done to the brakes. Initial cost and maintenence of a diesel is some higher than a gas rig but having owned a number of gas GM, Dodge, Toyota and Ford 4X4s in my previous life on the farm, I can say that the CTD is the only way I will ever go. We don't have much snow or mud in AZ and when on the road, we never tow in adverse weather so have no need of a 4X4 now but I understand others may disagree. Our long-bed dually has been coast to coast including in a number of East coast old towns with narrow streets and small parking spaces. I have had to fold mirrors in to get thru some places, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Its far better IMHO to have a truck a little big for your rig than the other way around.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Freeheel4life

I hadn't really considered the engine brake factor in regards to the diesel. Would be a huge plus.
Sounds like with y'alls help the wife and I have our choices narrowed down a lot more so now it's time to hunt for "the one". Appreciate the help.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #23
Frank G

Now that you have narrowed your search may I suggest Autotrader.com. As you search check the Carfax and you will find a number of vehicles that were registered to rental companies. Before you toss these from your search look at the details, low mileage? Certified? extended Warrantee? Lower Price? You might be surprised at the over all value and maybe not. Enterprise tends to sell 8 to 12 month old Ram Laramie CTD with less than 20K miles certified with extended warrantee for way under book. Search and you will find, I did. Ours showed up 8 miles down the road.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
msubobcats

I have a 2002 Silverado 2500 hd with the 8.1 and LOVE it. Yep, mileage pretty much stinks...
If I could afford it would look for a 2007 3500 dually with the 8.1 or a late 2006/early 2007 LBZ... HECK, I am cheap!!!😀
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #25
Freeheel4life

Thanks MSU. I have swapped two 8.1s at work due to rod knock issues. Both in large 25ft wake boats. Just makes me dubious of their longevity, but like anything I'm sure there's a guy with 300k on one that swears by it.
I have looked at a few duramax rigs in the hunt. Do you know anything in regards to the LBZ vs LMM, and I think I may have even seen an LTL in the hunt. All seem to be a 6.6L with Allison 6spd. So are they minor mechanical tweaks to same block between models?? Do any have a better reliability rep than others?? I know there's lots of diesel forum out there, just curious on your opinions.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle