Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
AmandaDavenport

New to travel trailer world and lost

We are new to the travel trailer world and I’m soooooo lost. I have honestly Googled everything, but it’s so overwhelming I get so caught up in it and can’t get straight answers or directions.

We are purchasing a 2010 27SLE hideout, I have not seen it yet, but my husband has, so I can only go by online pictures as he’s not the best to relay details.

I can’t seem to Google to find out how to work the slide out. When I Google it only shows me all the problems they have, not how to work it 🤦🏼*♀️. Is there a link or any advice? I even YouTubed and it only have me issue posts.

From what I see online it only has a really small area for a tv to hang, my issue is I have a 55” tv I am not willing to sacrifice as my eyes are not the greatest. Is there a way I could swivel mount that? Also in the back where the bunk and bunk bed is, my son has a 40” tv for his video games, is there a place that it could be mounted back there? We are looking to make this a year residency and we want to be comfortable.

On the couch and dinette I want to take them out and put a compact dining table and a comfy couch as we barely use a table(I know I know, but that’s just us), and I have a lot of health body issues I need to be comfortable when I’m on the couch or I can’t move. Could I replace the couch with a standard loveseat? Or do I need to get a special travel trailer couch?

Also the stabilizer things. Oh those make me nervous on how to use them.

Any other advice I would be so greatful for. I know I have more questions, but those are the most important.
AmandaDavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are a few photos that might help explain some of your questions. First, if you look at the floorplan, you'll see that there is no "room" in the bunk area, just two bunks that are accessed from the main cabin. There are walls available to mount a TV, but sitting to "play games" would require laying/sitting on the bed. I'm unsure if that would be comfortable for "game playing" for any length of time.

As for your 55" TV, if you look at the photo below, you'll see there is a 32" (best guess) TV mounted in the entertainment center. I don't believe you'll be able to fit a 55" TV in that space and there is "precious little wall space" for a TV that large.

The slide is operated by a switch. You can see it in the photo below. The switch activates the electric slide motor which is gear driven. Push the extend side of the switch, the motor pushes the slide out. Push the retract side of the switch, the motor pulls the slide in.

As you can see, there is a dining booth which is fairly easy to remove. It's screwed to the walls and the floor. Removing it won't be a problem, finding a table and chairs is also not a problem. In fact, if you're buying from a dealership, they may have a table/chairs that they took out of another RV sitting in their warehouse. Check around, small tables are easy to find.

The sofa is also a bed, so if you don't need the sleeping space, you can remove it and install any sofa that you can fit through the trailer door. The door is probably 27" wide, so most sofas will NOT fit through the door. You'll need to find one that can be taken apart to get it through the door. Most reclining sofas or reclining love seats have removable backs making it much easier to get them into the trailer.

Look around the forum and you'll find a wealth of information. There's a search tab in the black bar at the top of every forum webpage, use it and enter what you're looking for. Chances are someone else has already asked the question and several people have answered it. Have a go at the forum search, you'll probably find it much more "RV centered" than the typical Google search.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT FLOORPLAN.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	20146   Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT BOTTOM BUNK.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	20147   Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT TOP BUNK.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	20148   Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT SLIDE SWITCH.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	20149  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are the rest of the photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT SOFA AND DINETTE.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	20150   Click image for larger version

Name:	HIDEOUT TV SPACE.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	549.0 KB
ID:	20151  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
AmandaDavenport

Thank you, was curious, do you know if it would be possible to take out the “entertainment center”? I’m gonna suggest to my husband that we need to make a tv stand where the dining table would go. I plan to get a pocket table set that is very compact.

We don’t plan on doing to much hauling of the trailer so items not being secured down isn’t a problem. My kid suggested to me the other day to take the bottom bed out so he can put his tv and a desk for schoolwork, not sure the possibility of that.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Retired Copper

New couch, recliners and dinning table go for it. Removing bottom bunk very possible but how much room will you really have? I guessing you have the hot water heater under there with some storage under the bunk. If so you could make a custom small desk and build a nice enclosure around the got water heater. Might even be able to place a tv on top of it if you have a 120 outlet close by. The bunk looks to be 36 inches wide, don't see a 40 inch fitting. Tv stand where the booth is now? I have not seen any 120 outlets in any floor plans like this bunk house. Then what about antenna cable? Removing the center entertainment center. You know you have several wires in it like: 120v outlet. antenna cable, radio cable, speaker wires and thermostat and looks like the slide out cables. I would not do it. Then my next concern would be if I would weaken the roof support in that area. Just some things to think about. Good Luck and best wishes
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
SummitPond

We were looking at RVs a few weeks ago when we were camping up in GA. Some of the models had mounts on the ceiling for small TVs to be hung; they folded up out of the way when not in use. Perhaps there's something similar that could be arranged for a larger TV; it could be oriented so that it folds down and blocks access to the kitchen/stove yet is viewable from the couch. Electrical/antenna connections could be routed to it with cable clips.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

Is the OP sure this trailer meets their needs? I'm assuming there is a reason for selecting this trailer (perhaps a really great deal on it?). It seems there may be benefit in taking more time and looking at a few more floor plans...

Our trailer (2019 Cougar 26RBSWE) comes with a 50 inch TV and an option for theater seating and a standing dinette table/chairs.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Retired Copper

My daughter and son in law lived in a park model hooked up to my service while there house was being built. Then sold it to someone for a deer camp.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Frank G

In my opinion you need to shop for something that meets your needs and requirements, buying something and then modifying it will more or less destroy it's resale value. Do you really want or need that scenario! If new is not in your budget look around for a good used one, they are out there. The first thing a new to RV'ing person needs to look at is the proposed Tow Vehicle and it's capabilities. It's your budget, spend it wisely, mistakes are costly.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the others about this unit not meeting your needs. Trying to remove the entertainment center wall would be a huge mistake IMO. I also suspect that TV in it may not be more than 27" - might be 32 but I wouldn't think any larger. A 55" would be a no go. Consider that the TV and an enclosure for it would be in the vicinity of 60" with 96" or less width and you are going to have ingress/egress problems with the bedroom.

Looking at the pics and your suggestions my main thought is that you will put far more into it trying to make your modifications (if you make it look nice) than you will pay for the trailer. I would do more looking. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
AmandaDavenport

Thank you everyone for the advice.

We got a halacious deal on the trailer so it’s what I have to work with, looks like I will be only able to make minimal changes, but I can work with that.

Travel trailer living is like a whole new world to me and being I haven’t seen it yet on the inside and I like to plan I’m working with Google images and Google knowledge until I found this forum. I am glad I did as I got great info and now know I have to adjust or it won’t work. I have to look at the big picture.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

That's a really good attitude to have. If this is what you have to work with, I think there's no better place to get help doing what you want/need than this forum.

Best of luck and welcome to the RV life!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaDavenport View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice.

We got a halacious deal on the trailer so it’s what I have to work with, looks like I will be only able to make minimal changes, but I can work with that.

Travel trailer living is like a whole new world to me and being I haven’t seen it yet on the inside and I like to plan I’m working with Google images and Google knowledge until I found this forum. I am glad I did as I got great info and now know I have to adjust or it won’t work. I have to look at the big picture.

It's good you are able to be flexible. Lots of good folks and tons of knowledge here so we're here to help. Just remember the construction of an RV is nothing like a regular house so be careful and ask questions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer