Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
AUPANNER

bike hitch

need some ideas- we have a 2017 Keystone Hideout and am in need of ideas - we would like to add a bike hitch to the rear bumper and we found one at Camper World but from the picture and what our bumper looks like, we think it would be impossible to attach. the rear bumper is square 4"x4" BUT half is under the main frame of the unit with only about 2" available which would not allow the bike bracket to be attached. See attached photos. the photos got posted upside down - sorry

Any ideas on how to attach a bike hitch or if you know of any bike hitches that would fit. Any and all suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper 1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	20010   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper 2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	20011  
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Search "RV Bumper Hitch Receiver" on Amazon. There are a number of different products similar to this: Swagman RV Approved Bumper Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00174ZHGU..._MI2sCbDVJK7TJ

You could use it with a receiver hitch bike rack.

They can be mounted "upside down" with the thin plate on top of the bumper, but be aware that does reduce your clearance on inclines.

And you also need to be aware that that much weight may cause your bumper mount to fail. Check with your dealer for specs or to see about having it reinforced.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
66joej

I believe Curt makes a hitch that bolts directly to your TT frame. This is what you want. Not hanging a bike rack on that flimsy sewer hose container.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

Curt and Draw-Tite both make frame mounted hitch receivers. I agree, a much better option.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
busterbrown

As others have already alluded to, you don't NOT want to install a bumper mounted receiver on a trailer. It's NOT a matter of "if" it will fail, but "when" it will fail. The failure point is the thin sheet metal of the bumper.

More appropriate options are to fabricate and weld a hitch directly to the frame rails of your coach. Etrailer sell a few that are very universal to a trailer application. This is the one I had installed: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...35-946403.html

Your other option (if your hideout is a travel trailer) is an elevated bike rack that bolts on to the a-frame. I bought and installed this one last year. It performs better than a rear receiver hitch bike rack as there is more stability and less turbulence at the front near the tongue. My $$$ bikes thanked me!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Canonman

Just wanted to reinforce what Busterbrown said. DO NOT use the camping world bolt on receiver. When loaded, it will tear your bumper away from the frame. Go to a welding shop and have them weld receiver hitch to your frame. That's the only safe way to use hitch mounted bike racks. Our son-in-law found out the hard way about using the bolt on.
Trailer bumpers are barely strong enough to hold the sewer hose let alone a couple of bikes bouncing back there on a cantilever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-7914.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	20013  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Shane48

Bike hitch installed on 2017 Sprinter

I had searched a long time for a bike carrier for our travel trailer, and I also have read and seen the bad results of attaching a carrier to the bumper hitch. Ultimately, we decided to go with a Lippert Jack-It Two Bike A Frame mounted bike rack. We have put many miles on this unit with two bikes attached and it is as stable today as the day I installed it on the trailer. It does take a bit of doing to get the front bike mounted, so I usually stand on my pickup tailgate to place and remove that bike. We have a topper on our pickup, but this rack and bikes pose no problem with turning and all. It is comforting to be able to see the bikes, instead of wondering what might be happening if they were rear mounted on the trailer, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4459.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	20038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	20039  
Shane48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
KSH

I just went through this same ordeal. Decided on having a shop weld a reciever to the rear, connected to the frame. Got a yakima rack designed for the back of an rv.

https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I just went through this same ordeal. Decided on having a shop weld a reciever to the rear, connected to the frame. Got a yakima rack designed for the back of an rv.

https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip
Smart decision. Less worry for you and every driver following behind you!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane48 View Post
I had searched a long time for a bike carrier for our travel trailer, and I also have read and seen the bad results of attaching a carrier to the bumper hitch. Ultimately, we decided to go with a Lippert Jack-It Two Bike A Frame mounted bike rack. We have put many miles on this unit with two bikes attached and it is as stable today as the day I installed it on the trailer. It does take a bit of doing to get the front bike mounted, so I usually stand on my pickup tailgate to place and remove that bike. We have a topper on our pickup, but this rack and bikes pose no problem with turning and all. It is comforting to be able to see the bikes, instead of wondering what might be happening if they were rear mounted on the trailer, in my opinion.
We bought this one as well. It takes some effort to get the back bike on/off, but overall it is very solid and I am happy with the purchase.

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
Northofu1

Quote:
Thanks Shane, you made my mind up for me.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
linux3

I worry about having the bikes on a hitch behind the TT. I can't see them.
My current method is to remove the front wheel and lay them in the bed of the truck. I have a tonneau cover and with the wheel on the handlebars are too tall.
I've looked at hitches that straddle the tanks. Don't look solid.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
KSH

Before i got the hitch i had a piece of wood, slightly raised with some quick releases spaced out. That way the bikes stood up, without the front wheel and didn't scratch anything. I got tired of pulling the wheels on and off. I just took the 2x4 out of the truck when i didn't need it. Worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/MBP-Alloy-Rel...ke+mount&psc=1
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

One could mount two of those quick release fork clamps on a 2x4, remove the cushions from the trailer dinette, store the cushions on the bed, secure the 2x4 on the wooden bench of the dinette, place the bikes on the fork clamps and transport the bikes inside the trailer. It would be easy and much more secure than transporting them on the rear bumper.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Thanks Shane, you made my mind up for me.
This is great solution for bikes on a TT, we have a pin box bike rack on our 5er, much better for the bikes.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
leroyg

330RL laredo bike rack bolted to main frame

[attClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4840 (002).JPG
Views:	151
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	20080ach]20080[/attach]

Name:	IMG_4828 (002).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	20081

Name:	IMG_4842 (002).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	20082

Name:	IMG_4843 (002).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	20083
leroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM   #17
BadmanRick

FYI if you mount anything to the rear bumper of your TT this will void your Keystone Warranty. So I would have a frame mounted rear hitch put on.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
Rber1234

I used a bolt on receiver hitch mount for a bike carrier and used it only one time before I removed it. Bent the bumper so bad the waste hose wouldn’t slide thru anymore. Frame mount is the way to go.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
n4qpcham

I had the same mounting problem on my Montana HC 5th wheel. I got this rack from etrailer.com, Swagman 4 Bike Carrier RV Mounted Bike Rack Item #S80600. You mount the mounting bolts from the bottom up, instead of the top down, underneath the trailer. I also bought bumper reinforcement brackets from SafetyStruts.com or www.mount-n-lock.com. They cradle the rear bumper on three sides to keep the bumper from rolling and breaking the welded mount or twisting, because each bracket is mounted to the trailer frame member with three nuts and bolts. They claim to support 400 lbs., so you can "Put more gear on your rear" to quote the MnL web site. Had them a year so far carrying a Schwinn Meridian 3-wheeler and no problems.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #20
dpatroch

We have a Hideout 175LHS. We mounted a different bike rack on the bumper and half way to our destination we had to stop and take the bikes and spare tire off as the bumper was almost torn off. When we got to our destination we were lucky and found a shop who repaired and reinforced the bumper. It held up on our return trip.
dpatroch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, hitch