Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
V2wings

Blackstone grill

I just received a Blackstone Grill for my camper and was wondering what oil do you use and why.
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Chris P

On new grills the oil will help season the grates and oiling it will keep it from rusting, any cooking oil of your preference will do.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

First off, whoo hoo for you! I bought mine a while back and LOVE it!! You said it's for the camper; what size did you get? 17", 22"? As far as seasoning oil, I can't remember what was recommended for mine but it was something unavailable in our area. I looked up various oils for seasoning a flattop and people use all kinds of stuff. I used corn oil. I made about 5 passes of coating, cooking it in, smoothing it, cook it off; wipe down and repeat. Turned out fantastic. I will say if you got the 22" that my griddle warped and Blackstone sent me a new one so be aware of that. Good luck and have fun!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
On The Road Again

I bought the 17” model several months ago and seasoned it on the top and bottom in the house oven with several cycles using flaxseed oil. After that, I fired up the Blackstone burner and seasoned the top a couple more times. I now have a well-seasoned non-stick flat top, which we use every outing. After using it, I simply use the spatula to clean it and pour a small amount of Crisco on it while it is still hot and use a paper towel to distribute the oil. One of our favorite breakfast meals is to fry up some Owens sausage. While the sausage is cooking, I put some diced onions in one of the cooler corners and let them sauté. Once the sausage is almost done, I mix in the onions and break several eggs over the mixture and cook until done. Grate some cheese on top and serve.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
2012 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 103CI
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low (Wife's)
2016 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler (Wife's)
2015 Polaris Ranger 570 EPS Bronze Mist
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Wingerdinger

I actually got the Blackstone Tailgater, which is a grill/griddle combination. I love it. Nice and durable. There is a U-tube video out there, promoting the product, and he recommended flaxseed oil. I got excellent results using it.
You actually buy it at a health food store. The bottle states that it's not for cooking, so I only used it for the seasoning.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
dhn

Don’t own a Blackstone griddle, but do use cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. I only use Crisco shorting (the white stuff in a can) to season and protect them. The vegetable oils will turn rancid and get sticky if not use often.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Javi

I seasoned mine with hog lard... was good enough for my mama and grandma... it's good enough for me..
Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
V2wings

22” it was on sale at Home Depot for $100
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
Wingerdinger

I think the idea with seasoning is you put a firm coat of oil into and on the surface. I think, if done properly, any oil will work, as long as you burn it in completely, so it doesn't turn rancid.
However, the flaxseed oil is the closest thing to linseed oil, without being toxic, so you get this hard, smooth coating, much like if you'd varnished it or something. It cleans easily by wiping it with a cooking oil coated paper towel (so far).
The stuff ain't cheap.. anybody wanna buy a 1/2 a bottle (joking)?
The idea of doing it in your oven is a good one, because the burners on the griddle aren't even heat, so you get the center of the griddle well seasoned, and the edges not as good.
I think I'm going to try to put it in my home outdoor grille, so I don't get the smoke in the house.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
I think the idea with seasoning is you put a firm coat of oil into and on the surface. I think, if done properly, any oil will work, as long as you burn it in completely, so it doesn't turn rancid.
However, the flaxseed oil is the closest thing to linseed oil, without being toxic, so you get this hard, smooth coating, much like if you'd varnished it or something. It cleans easily by wiping it with a cooking oil coated paper towel (so far).
The stuff ain't cheap.. anybody wanna buy a 1/2 a bottle (joking)?
The idea of doing it in your oven is a good one, because the burners on the griddle aren't even heat, so you get the center of the griddle well seasoned, and the edges not as good.
I think I'm going to try to put it in my home outdoor grille, so I don't get the smoke in the house.
Flaxseed oil worked great on our Blackstone 17". I seasoned it on our backyard BBG grill - turned up all 5 burners, closed the lid, and let it bake at 500 - worked great.

Word of CAUTION: Blackstone's work so well, that you may end up being the primary chef for every camping trip We love it!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Cougar29FKS

I used Flaxseed oil as well. I lightly coated it and let burn off on high until it quit smoking and let it cool before repeating. I think I did it 3 times and it turned out with a nice shiny seasoning.

Also I spray mine down with a light coating of PAM or other cooking spray when I am ready to store it to prevent rusting over time. Helps to have some kind of storage bag to put it in too.
Cougar29FKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Sinton4616

The Blackstone Griddle looks pretty nice. What kind of table do you use for your griddle? I'm guessing plastic would melt?

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
buvens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
The Blackstone Griddle looks pretty nice. What kind of table do you use for your griddle? I'm guessing plastic would melt?
We just use a foldable plastic table from Wally World for ours. Works fine.
It is just like the other tabletop grills as far as not much heat underneath it.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
Wingerdinger

We have the Blackstone Tailgater Grille/griddle combo. It has both a grille box and a griddle. If your family is any size, it's not the one for you, but most of the time it's only two or four of us, so this one is perfect.
It has it's own legs.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post

We have the 22" and it came with a steel, collapsible stand for it. Works very well and very sturdy. It's big enough to actually cook full meals on for 2-4. I really like it.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
EagleandFox

I found an aluminum camp table where the tabletop rolls up and the legs fold up - stores nicely in a bag! The top is made of aluminum slats and my husband loves it because he can slide his spatula and tongs in between the slats because the griddle takes up most of the room on it.

2017 Hideout 299RLDS 5th Wheel
EagleandFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #17
Desert Dog

For those who have had the Blackstone for a while, I know that you must oil the griddle after every use but has anyone had rusting problems with the gridding sitting in storage for extended periods?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I've let mine sit for a few months at a time without any problems. I do cook on it, clean it using oil, wipe it down, then re-oil it before putting it away. I also have a cover I keep it in. Living in the SW I don't have a lot of humidity and I'm sure that helps.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
spade117

Already had the 17" that stays in the camper, and now I have the 28" with stand that I got for my birthday. This one will be for home use.

My B-I-L has the 22" with stand and cooking cover. I really like the cooking cover, so I will have to come up with something for this 28". I did see a hard cover on Amazon, but from what I read, it is more for storage usage.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #20
flrtrader

So glad I found this thread, I bought a used 28" and need a few parts to fix a few things which is no problem. My question is how to plumb a external gas line on the rig to share the LP gas? Where does it tie in? Suggested piping? connections needed.

Thanks in advance.

Keith
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote