Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Cattail

Portable Induction Cooktop

Good afternoon!
Does anyone out there in Keystone Land use a portable induction cooktop? If so, I'm looking for recommendations.
Cattail
Cattail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I carry 2. The brand is NuWave Pro. I bought them on a whim (maybe from one of those sales shows on TV??). I wanted them to allow me to cook outside and complement the other cooking devices I had out there because I do not like to cook inside the trailer. We LOVE them. The versatility they add is great, they don't get hot like a stove, they heat up very quickly, have extremely accurate temp settings allowing you to cook/heat most anything. I just put them out on my camp table by my grill and cook whatever I want while plugged into my exterior outlet. Cost of the electricity is tiny. I also bought 2 for the main house for use when cooking outside. I like the versatility of them far better than the side burner on my grill.

Downside is having induction compatible cookware. Some we had was some wasn't which could have presented a problem because I like to COOK. Bought a couple of induction skillets I liked then a set of Magma nesting cookware - another super choice IMO. High quality, heavyweight cookware that takes up little room - bought a set for our main house, mountain house and for my daughter. We got the non stick interior vs stainless and couldn't be happier. Extremely durable finish that still looks brand new.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I carry 2. The brand is NuWave Pro....Bought a couple of induction skillets I liked then a set of Magma nesting cookware - another super choice IMO. High quality, heavyweight cookware that takes up little room - bought a set for our main house, mountain house and for my daughter. We got the non stick interior vs stainless and couldn't be happier. Extremely durable finish that still looks brand new.
Same here - NuWave induction cooktop and Magma nesting cookware. Pricey, but stores compactly and does a really good job!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
travelin texans

X3 on the 2fer "as seen on tv" NuWave cooktops. Work great!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
NuWave induction cooktop and Magma nesting cookware. Pricey, but stores compactly and does a really good job!
Have to do some shopping

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
Roscoe

https://vollrath.com/Products/Counte...duction-Ranges

if you want a bad a** induction range.. this is your animal.. used to sell restaurant equipment for 14 years and these things are truly awesome. head to your local cash n carry or restaurant equipment supply and get your self one
Edge cs2 Programmer w/ egt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

if you want a bad a** induction range.. this is your animal.. used to sell restaurant equipment for 14 years and these things are truly awesome. head to your local cash n carry or restaurant equipment supply and get your self one

Whew!! Over $1200 for a countertop induction cooker?? I would have to be really whupping up "something" really serious to consider doing that when a <$200 unit would do basically the same thing. I'm afraid every time I pulled it out I wouldn't feel like eating because I was sick to my stomach...
Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
Roscoe

thats MSRP... they sell between 550-650 usually.. most dealers get 50/10/10/5 (discount structure) off msrp.. some even have demo models for sale as well.

this one sells for around 200-300

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol.../92259310.html
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
thats MSRP... they sell between 550-650 usually.. most dealers get 50/10/10/5 (discount structure) off msrp.. some even have demo models for sale as well.

this one sells for around 200-300

The unit in the link above tops out at 400 degrees F. The cheaper NuWave Pro tops out at something over 500 degrees (sear). The higher regular setting under that is 475. I don't know how hot sear gets because I've not hit it with a temp gun...but I will - and I use sear quite often so that temp is handy to me.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Roscoe

Nice.. i dont know much about the other brand and im sure its better.. if i need to sear something i get out the small portable traeger grill and let it rip up to 480 and sear a ribeye or new york on that

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Nice.. i dont know much about the other brand and im sure its better.. if i need to sear something i get out the small portable traeger grill and let it rip up to 480 and sear a ribeye or new york on that

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't have any idea if it's better or not, I don't know anything about the one you posted the links to other than what the link says. Just saying that it was pretty expensive for what it appeared to do - I would want a lot more than a "hot plate" for $1200, or 2-300.

Not knocking your recommendation; I'm sure the initial one is a heck of a unit meant for a commercial environment - I just don't need that for me in the RV. And yes, "sear" can be done outside but many times I try to avoid that in the rain/snow or freezing temps. I appreciate the input - I had never heard of the cooker you posted the link to and it looks interesting.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
Roscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not knocking your recommendation; I'm sure the initial one is a heck of a unit meant for a commercial environment - I just don't need that for me in the RV. And yes, "sear" can be done outside but many times I try to avoid that in the rain/snow or freezing temps. I appreciate the input - I had never heard of the cooker you posted the link to and it looks interesting.
I know what you meant all good.. got a little derailed lol... i am sure in the future all these trailer companies will start putting in drop in induction tops into the counters instead of the propane 3 burner tops.
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
ajk170

Cattail- my in-laws full time and the have a commercial induction burner that they use (not the Voltaire that was posted previously but similar) and they seem to love it! However, the DW and I have stayed with them at times and I can’t say I’m a fan of them. In our camper I cook exclusively outside and use a camp chef stove that has 30k burners. I like that better due to the high output and ease to control temps. The in-laws like the induction because it doesn’t use propane and can achieve high temps as well. However, that thing is huge and heavy (for me and I’m 20 years their junior). Plus, as mentioned previously, you need cookware that will work with it. Now it’s not as big as my camp chef so that’s a plus in their 5er basement but the camp chef can sit in the rain. And the camp chef has a lot more versatility to it than the induction. But again, induction’s energy consumption is free compared to the camp chef. I can say the induction boils water pretty fast but not as fast as the camp chef- I think I can boil eight cups of water in maybe three minutes. I might be off but it’s the fastest I’ve ever seen for a propane burner! Hope this helps! - Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Cattail- my in-laws full time and the have a commercial induction burner that they use (not the Voltaire that was posted previously but similar) and they seem to love it! However, the DW and I have stayed with them at times and I can’t say I’m a fan of them. In our camper I cook exclusively outside and use a camp chef stove that has 30k burners. I like that better due to the high output and ease to control temps. The in-laws like the induction because it doesn’t use propane and can achieve high temps as well. However, that thing is huge and heavy (for me and I’m 20 years their junior). Plus, as mentioned previously, you need cookware that will work with it. Now it’s not as big as my camp chef so that’s a plus in their 5er basement but the camp chef can sit in the rain. And the camp chef has a lot more versatility to it than the induction. But again, induction’s energy consumption is free compared to the camp chef. I can say the induction boils water pretty fast but not as fast as the camp chef- I think I can boil eight cups of water in maybe three minutes. I might be off but it’s the fastest I’ve ever seen for a propane burner! Hope this helps! - Andy

The ones we use may weigh 3-4 lbs. at the most - VERY lightweight and have been durable (no failures) over the last few years. Small, compact, lightweight with their own case you can put them most anywhere.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
ajk170

Sourdough- I’ll have to look at theirs and post it up as an example of what to stay away from- sounds like the one talked about earlier is the way to go!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #16
xranchflunky

The DW and I have been looking at this unit to try out. Very inexpensive and with Costco's return policy makes it very tempting: https://www.costco.com/Tramontina-3-...100431912.html
xranchflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xranchflunky View Post
The DW and I have been looking at this unit to try out. Very inexpensive and with Costco's return policy makes it very tempting: https://www.costco.com/Tramontina-3-...100431912.html

Look the various units over very closely. I have had Tramontina products before (not a portable induction cooker) and have varied results - generally not "top" quality but OK. Looking at the reviews it seems that it has a problem (to me) that some of the others had and that is the lack of flexibility in the heat ranges. I think it has 10 "preset" ranges - that does not work for me. The NuWave goes in 5 degree increments from 100 degrees to "sear", which may be 575?? Very beneficial to me when I'm cooking. I don't know if they even make the NuWave anymore though.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
pauls1965

We as well have 2 NuWave, As Seen on TV, induction cooktops. I also bought the Pots, Pans and Lid set package. We love them! Use outside all the time and inside when the weather sucks. The cookware has a ceramic coating better than Teflon for quick & easy cleaning. Can't say enough about the pluses with these. Would definitely recommend.
pauls1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
tjkarch60

Ikea

Check out Ikea, if you're near one. They have one that I think was $50 and it is really good. Not the biggest cooking area, but decent enough. Plus it is pretty small for easy storage.
tjkarch60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #20
Jillie-Pat Rolling Resort

Induction

I am also a NuWave user. Wouldn't leave home without it! MAKE SURE THAT YOUR COOKWARE IS INDUCTION COMPATABLE! Not all pans will work on the induction.
Jillie-Pat Rolling Resort is offline   Reply With Quote