Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
bmcvazquez

Minimum Generator Specs

Greetings to all,

I just purchased a 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton. It is a 50 amp unit with 2 a/c's. I am struggling to find the minimum requirements that a portable generator needs to run a 13.5 ac and some outlets. Not looking to run TV or anything that will suck up a lot of power. Just want to run one ac during the hot South Florida nights. If anyone has a great website or other posts that will educate me, that would be extra beneficial. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

P=IE

6000W=120v x 50a

I think your AC is the main power hog.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Canonman

If you're looking for the minimum size generator to support your rig, I'd suggest a 3kw inverter type.
We run our A/C plus some convenience outlets as well as the TV with our 3kw generator.
The only issue is starting the A/C. The starting amp draw for your A/C is the real delimiter. You'll need to verify the starting amp draw for your particular A/C unit to determine the minimum generator needed. Also, when running the A/C you will need to watch what other appliances you try to use. For instance, any appliance that generates heat, like a toaster, coffee pot or hair dryer would be an issue. You will not be able to use the microwave with the A/C on either. Again too much amp draw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-7959.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	20062  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
P=IE

6000W=120v x 50a

I think your AC is the main power hog.

^^^ x2=12,000W for a 50A RV
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The answer to your question involves a bit of understanding about how RV's work. First of all, TV's in modern RV's are typically LCD/LED devices that use virtually no power. Typical 32" LED TV's consume less than 120 watts. So running the TV while running the air conditioner is, in reality, a insignificant additional power consumption, about the same as turning on two incandescent lights or running the water pump.

RV's have some "always on" devices that operate no matter what else you might turn on inside the RV. The converter/charger is the biggest culprit, the gas/electric refrigerator is another as well as the electric element on the water heater (which is often forgotten and left on).

If you read the air conditioner "power consumption label" it will require around 12.5 amps at 120 VAC. Since you can't "connect the air conditioner to the generator, you power the trailer AND the air conditioner. That means you'll need MORE than 12.5 amps (12.5x120=1500 watts) to power the "system".

Granted, you can turn off your converter/charger, but in doing that, you'll not be charging your RV battery, so running the A/C and having a dead battery with no power to run the refrigerator control board or the water pump would make "being cool" uncomfortable.... In other words, you need to consider the "whole RV power consumption" while the air conditioner is running since you'll need to power the rest of it as well as the air conditioner.

Dometic's specification sheets stipulate a 3500 watt generator as the recommended minimum size to power a 13.5 or a 15K BTU air conditioner "IN THE TYPICAL RV" because of the "hidden power requirements" that go along with running the air conditioner.

You can "get by" on less, using a smaller generator, provided you don't overload it, the A/C compressor head pressure isn't too great, the starting load doesn't overload the generator, the voltage drop isn't too great and someone doesn't flush the toilet (putting a load on the converter from the water pump) at the same time that the air conditioner decides to cycle on.....

In other words, there's much more to "how small can I go" on powering the air conditioner in an RV.

The air conditioner manufacturer recommends a 3500 watt generator. You can "get by with less" in most situations, but you can't go much less than about 2800 watts without potentially overloading your generator. Anything less than that, you'll need the moon and stars to be properly aligned and your tongue in exactly the right spot every time the air conditioner cycles on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
bmcvazquez

Thank you for the detailed information. I will look for at least 3500 watts.
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator