Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
TG10894

Stink Bug battle

About 3 weeks ago we went camping around Asheville, NC. Some folks told us to watch out for stink bugs, and told stories of being infested several weeks after leaving the area. I had never heard of stink bugs "moving in", but watched for them anyway. Only saw one or two UNTIL TODAY. I was doing some maint. and opened the access cover over the water pump and found about 10 in the carpet fold. Those are gone now, but what can I do to get rid of stink bugs in my trailer? Is this common, or somehow unique to NC mountains.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stink_bug.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	18871
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
spade117

Almost countrywide nowadays. They are definitely a nuisance. We got home yesterday after a long weekend and there were 100's of them all over my house. Started landing all over the camper after I parked it as well.

Noticed about a dozen or so inside before we left last week. I usually just grab them with paper towel to dispose of them. Wife prefers to release them outdoors.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
DocP

I've got them here in the Cleveland area at home, and have gotten rid of 4 of them today inside the camper. This is an annual occurrence.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We are currently in Georgetown, KY. We spent the last week in Dayton, Ohio, at the FamCamp on Wright Patterson AFB. There was a tree next to the trailer and we noticed several stinkbugs on and in the trailer. Didn't really think much of it until we pulled into this campground today. I've killed at least 100. Seems they're crawling out of everywhere, from the awning supports to the refrigerator vent. I don't have any idea how to get rid of them or prevent them from "growing fond of the trailer"... Seems to me that they're attracted to light colors, since they are all over the trailer but not the truck.

I do know they don't like a fly swatter

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
cavediver

The good part is that they are slow and easy to catch.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
The good part is that they are slow and easy to catch.
But, but... If you catch em with your fingers and then pick your nose..... YECHT LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
Wife prefers to release them outdoors.
I always release them outdoors, mashed in a paper towel into the trash.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

We just finished a 3500 mile 3 week trip (supposed to be 4 but "Michael" changed that) from the Gulf Coast to Maine and back. Saw these bugs in almost every campground in between.
Seemed like we parked and notice went out that a new trailer had arrived and they started showing up. I just kept an aggressive removal campaign going until they dissipated.
As for a cure? I read that there is a small mosquito that feeds on the larvae of these beetles and a plan was being implemented for widespread release of these mosquitoes. Guess it didn't happen this year? Until then? Maybe little mosquito stickers all over your camper.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
travelin texans

[QUOTE=Laredo Tugger;310945]We just finished a 3500 mile 3 week trip (supposed to be 4 but "Michael" changed that) from the Gulf Coast to Maine and back. Saw these bugs in almost every campground in between.
Seemed like we parked and notice went out that a new trailer had arrived and they started showing up. I just kept an aggressive removal campaign going until they dissipated.
As for a cure? I read that there is a small mosquito that feeds on the larvae of these beetles and a plan was being implemented for widespread release of these mosquitoes. Guess it didn't happen this year? Until then? Maybe little mosquito stickers all over your camper.
RMc[/QUOT

Then they'll release bats to control the mosquitoes, then whatever it takes to control the bats, then.........
They imported fire ants to control bowl wevels in cotton, now there's no control for those nasty little mothers, they'll kill a newborn calf if born near a mound, have all but wiped out the quail, pheasant, horned toads & any other critter that nest/hatches on the ground.
They imported Russian Thistle (tumbleweeds) for cattle feed, cows won't eat that crap, it's good for absolutely nothing, now the SW is covered in it.
These Poindexter types need to quit messing with Mother Nature.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
ken56

They are a nuisance but harmless really. Yeah, they have an odor too but just throw them into some water, like the toilet, they will just drown. Any crack or crevice will accommodate them. Check inside your smoke detectors and behind curtains or anything hanging on the wall. You will be finding them in the spring too. The good thing is they don't breed, they just go dormant over the cold months.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
Mikendebbie

Kissing bugs

I have never seen one of these but I think they look similar to stink bugs...but these things can give you Chagas' disease from a bite...read an article about them recently and I think they have spread to several states. Kissing bugs, stink bugs...I don't mess with either one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	103
Size:	622.2 KB
ID:	18882  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
. The good thing is they don't breed, they just go dormant over the cold months.
They have to have bred some time, they don't just magically appear from thin air.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

How do they sort of "just swell up" and get filled with "stinky juice"? I always like the satisfying "crunch" when you pop one but that's not the solution for an infestation….maybe a "bug bomb" to eradicate the little buggers?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:30 AM   #14
notanlines

What rum-dumb came up with the "a plan was being implemented for widespread release of these mosquitoes" plan to eradicate stinkbugs? I don't care for either, but mosquitoes are a considerably larger problem than stink bugs.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

See
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
What rum-dumb came up with the "a plan was being implemented for widespread release of these mosquitoes" plan to eradicate stinkbugs? I don't care for either, but mosquitoes are a considerably larger problem than stink bugs.
Mosquitos only eat people and not crops.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #16
Laredo Tugger

My bad. It is a wasp.

This is a statement from the article:
Several species of Trissolcus (Hymenoptera: Scelionidae) are reported to attack eggs of H. halys in Asia (Arakawa and Namura 2002, Yang et al. 2009), with high rates of parasitism noted (Yang et al. 2009). Beginning in 2007, collections of Trissolcus by the USDA/ARS Beneficial Insect Introduction Research Unit (ARS/BIIRU) from China, South Korea and Japan were brought to quarantine laboratories in the U.S. for evaluation as potential biological control agents of H. halys in North America. Taxonomic studies and genetic characterization of these collections determined that two species, T. japonicus (Ashmead) and T. cultratus (Mayr) predominated in the Asian collections obtained from H. halys (authors’ unpublished data).
Note: H. halys is the "stink bug".

This is the complete article:
https://jhr.pensoft.net/article/4661/

It is not clear if there is an active release of this wasp for eradication of the BMSB (Brown Marmorated Stink Bug). Sounds like something in the idea box pending studies of effect and result.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #17
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
since they are all over the trailer but not the truck.

Yeah, it is weird that I never find any in the vehicles, but anywhere else, they are there.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
LuvsPalmTrees

Okay - allergic to wasps, I hope they figure something else out. This is the first year that I think we have a large population of the Stink Bug. I read an article about them (on the Orkin Website) breeding during the winter, in homes or warm places. I am usually a catch and release kinda girl but these things get the wet paper towel removal method.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Tireman9

They do seem to prefer warm weather and finding places to keep out of the cold. It's mid October in Ohio. Where is the first snow?
I know the climate isn't getting warmer than in last few hundred years because my Congressman says so, so that isn't it.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #20
eanddrice

My battery died in my CO detector, in my camper. When I took it down to put in new batteries, here's about 10 of these little buggers behind the CO detector. Then my DW was changing the linens and here's another 5 or 6 behind the mattress. They have all gone to stink bug heaven now.
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote