Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
GrumpyG

Passport Elite 23RB

I have a Passport 23RB that I bought new and parked. It has been in a climate controlled garage with power hooked up to it continuously. It was winterized by draining everything at the outset.

I had some medical issues, mainly a bum hip that I had replaced last November. Ready to get out there and enjoy this camper finally. First trip is for one week next month at a local campground only 20 min. from home --- just in case.

What are some of the things I should be looking for as far as problem areas from sitting? All electrical systems seem to be fine. Power has been hooked up through a Progressive Industries monitor system. Battery seems fine, but I'm ready to replace that asap. Was nothing special---dealer battery. Probably replace with a pair of AGMs. Battery switch already installed.

Also... the roof. Can this roof be walked on? I can find no info on the actual construction, except that it has galvanized 5" rafters, plywood sheeting, and the Alpha TPO roof. I seem to recall some RV repairmen frequented this forum, so any first hand info would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Gegrad

Grumpy- Passport roofs cannot be walked on without some sheeting or support device temporarily laid out.

As for sitting, you did not specify how long the trailer has been sitting. One thing would be the tires. Depending on length of time sitting the issues could be anything from simple flat spots that could go away after 25 miles of towing to complete dry rot requiring replacement. Being a 2015 model, the tires could be up to 4 years old now, and are the good ole OEM China bombs (if they have never been replaced). You can find details about that under one of the 50 tire threads.

Good luck with new adventures, and may your health recover enough to keep you going!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyG View Post
Also... the roof. Can this roof be walked on? I can find no info on the actual construction, except that it has galvanized 5" rafters, plywood sheeting, and the Alpha TPO roof.
It can be walked on but with careful planning and preparation. I can suggest buying at least a 4'x4' sheet of 2" polystyrene foam board and cut it into 2 equal pieces. Foam board is non-abrasive and won't damage your TPO roofing material. Use both foam boards to spread your body weight across at least two rafters. You can easily feel for them as you apply pressure to the area you're walking on. Directly over a rafter, you'll feel planted. If you're between rafters, you'll feel spongy movement. Remember, the roof decking is probably 1/4 inch thick OSB and by all means, provides no support to a heavy foot in the middle of a rafter.

I've been inspecting and servicing my roof for two years this way and have yet to rupture the membrane or decking.

For a good visual, take a look at the picture below with the decking and insulation removed. It's easy to see how and why these ultra lites get their name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RVC-9_cover.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	16400
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
slow

I would add the following to new tires and inspecting the roof:
* sanitize the FW tank
* check front roof to front cap seam carefully for proper sealing AND attachment to rafter (our 2015 23RB released from the rafter on the way home from picking it up at the dealer)
* check wheel skirt mounting screws but do not overtighten. Consider adding the reinforcement documented in another thread.

Glad to read that you are getting out to enjoy your TT.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
GrumpyG

Thanks for everyone's replies. The TT has been sitting 3 years. Tires will be 1st on the list.

Thanks again.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #6
bill-e

I think you should inspect your tires before just scraping them and getting new ones. Check the pressure and inflate them to their cold max tire pressure. If they're not cracked then they are probably not dry rotted. Sitting in a climate controlled area which doesn't have UV beating on the camper or tires sitting on wet/dry/frozen ground should mean that the camper is still in like new condition.

My previous camper was a 2007 Hybrid and it had original tires on it right up until I sold it in 2015, and it sat on grass on the north side of my property in New Hampshire for the off season. What did I do different than some? I camped a dozen or so times a season, didn't overload the camper, I always checked the pressure and I never drove faster than 65, usually 55-60.

Of course you mileage may vary and if it makes you more confident buying new tires then buy them, but still be mindful of pressure, loading and speed or you'll likely have an american bomb.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport