Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Tufelhunden

Best inside bug killer I've found

The first time we camped in our TT we became overwhelmed with gnats and mosquitos. Decided I needed to try something to combat the infestation inside the trailer.

I remembered I saw a blue light gadget with a fan that captured insects and killed them by dehydrating them. I went back to costco but alas they had Christmas stuff out and the outdoor equipment was gone. So I decided to hit Amazon and see what I could find. Well I found https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CZ...op_mb_pd_title What a great little gadget. Sadly it's not bright enough to get them during the evening with other lights on, but when we head to bed the bugs leave the bedroom area and head to the blue light. It captures gnats, mosquitos and moths. Sadly, flies seem immune but it works great for everything else. So if anyone is looking for something like this I can recommend the above.

The only cons are the flies and it doesn't come with a 120V adapter plugin for the USB it needs. Luckily I have a ton of those and can also use a battery backup so it doesn't need the plug in.

Just an idea for anyone that needs something like this.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got a "blue light special" for the gnats and moths, maybe augment that with a Bug-a-salt for the flies: https://www.bugasalt.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKAwfD_BwE

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
The first time we camped in our TT we became overwhelmed with gnats and mosquitos. Decided I needed to try something to combat the infestation inside the trailer.

I remembered I saw a blue light gadget with a fan that captured insects and killed them by dehydrating them. I went back to costco but alas they had Christmas stuff out and the outdoor equipment was gone. So I decided to hit Amazon and see what I could find. Well I found https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CZ...op_mb_pd_title What a great little gadget. Sadly it's not bright enough to get them during the evening with other lights on, but when we head to bed the bugs leave the bedroom area and head to the blue light. It captures gnats, mosquitos and moths. Sadly, flies seem immune but it works great for everything else. So if anyone is looking for something like this I can recommend the above.

The only cons are the flies and it doesn't come with a 120V adapter plugin for the USB it needs. Luckily I have a ton of those and can also use a battery backup so it doesn't need the plug in.

Just an idea for anyone that needs something like this.
I would have to inquire how you are getting that many insects in your RV?? We stay in FL for many months with many kinds of bugs but just don't have them to any extent in the RV??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

The DW accidently found a great ant killer: Lysol spray. It has the added advantage that you clean up as you kill the ants.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would have to inquire how you are getting that many insects in your RV?? We stay in FL for many months with many kinds of bugs but just don't have them to any extent in the RV??
40 degrees in the high desert, 1 mile away from a pond, light and the heat of the TT. The gnats and mosquitos are then thick on the windows even with only the interior mood lights and TV on. Them take the mutt out for his bathroom break and hundreds get in.

As an example something hit the trailer 4 times last night. My thought was rabid coyote. Went outside with my firearm and a 500 lumen head lamp. It was actually an owl that was chasing something. Anyway by the time I did a perimeter sweep to make sure nothing was waiting for the dog or DW, I had so many gnats in my face it was making it hard to see. Turned the light red, hoping that would make them disperse. Sadly no joy. Next weekend we will be in the woods and it will be a lot less.

However, this place , Bruneau Sand Dunes, is worth the hassle. You can actually see arms of the milky way with the naked eye. The DW loves it here just for that, she's never seen the stars so bright. I'd guess most people haven't.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you've got a "blue light special" for the gnats and moths, maybe augment that with a Bug-a-salt for the flies: https://www.bugasalt.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKAwfD_BwE
Great idea!!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Will the device in your first post (or your last) kill stink bugs?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Odd you say that, we wintered in Fla 2 years & had enough bugs inside everywhere to last a lifetime, no windows open, no pets, they just suddenly filled the house, gnats, mosquitos, & some little black bug you could barely see that felt like it bit to bone. That's one of the reasons we don't do Fla anymore, too many bugs, too much moldy smell, everything outside is wet every morning & roof of the rv would turn black in about a week.But there are millions that love it there every winter, don't think they'll miss the 2 of us.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
xranchflunky

As long time horse ranch owners, we have found this spray to be very effective. Designed more for time release systems, a spray or two in our house or RV is very effective. Many restaurants use this spray, too. We do spray as we are leaving the room or RV and not linger inside. Very effective in just a few minutes. http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/PestC...secticide.aspx
xranchflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Odd you say that, we wintered in Fla 2 years & had enough bugs inside everywhere to last a lifetime, no windows open, no pets, they just suddenly filled the house, gnats, mosquitos, & some little black bug you could barely see that felt like it bit to bone. That's one of the reasons we don't do Fla anymore, too many bugs, too much moldy smell, everything outside is wet every morning & roof of the rv would turn black in about a week.But there are millions that love it there every winter, don't think they'll miss the 2 of us.

I don't know where you went but we stay in the panhandle. As far as the other stuff; lots of the RVs that are long term FL patrons do get the black on the roofs after an extended period. We have ours cleaned before leaving and cleaned upon return. It doesn't get black but it does turn sort of gray but it comes off easily. We don't have the moldy spell except when looking at vacant houses when my daughter was looking for a new home. There is moisture a lot, either coming down or in the air and we love it. Coming from a place with very little moisture we like the feel and smell of it. The only bugs we find as a real nuisance are the no seeums. They can make sitting outside miserable when they are hanging around in small clouds. They may be the little black insects that bit you. Even then, we don't get them in the RV but we don't leave the door open either.

I think where you are is a big factor in what kind of bugs you experience along with the time of year. We were in the Everglades and it was just terrible. Where we stay is about 100 yds. from the bay so we usually have a bit of a breeze (but not anything like a "breeze" in W TX). That is probably better than staying in marshy areas.

Like you, we will probably be heading elsewhere beginning next year. After 7 years of spending the winter there and the granddaughters now heading to college with other interests other than "grandma and grandpa", we think we will set our sights on traveling through the summer and shoulder seasons and winter in W TX.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
travelin texans

We were in Dade City north of Tampa, no wind, just tamp wet every morning & evening, mid day was good. In the panhandle you probably got just enough gulf breeze to blow the bugs away.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
... You can actually see arms of the milky way with the naked eye. The DW loves it here just for that, she's never seen the stars so bright. I'd guess most people haven't.
That is why we camp in the Big Bend area of TX... "The stars at night, are big and bright... deep in the heart of Texas"

You can actually see satellites going by.

-Brian
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
The DW accidently found a great ant killer: Lysol spray. It has the added advantage that you clean up as you kill the ants.
Formula 409 works well, too. Depending on the ant, sometimes Windex.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
judia

We use a big box fan to keep the skeeters out. Put it on a table blowing across the door and they don't have a chance.
judia is offline   Reply With Quote