Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Sprinter17

Add a ceiling fan

Hi everyone, I have a 2017 Sprinter 298FWRLS. Unfortunately, Sprinters do not come with ceiling fans like most fifth wheels do. I would like to add one but I would like to hear from someone who has added on.
How did you find and supply the power source?
How did you mount it? Did you have to find studs?
What size and placement do I have to consider?
I'm figuring on purchasing a 42" blade unit. I will try to place it forward enough to so the slides won't hit the fan when they are pulled in. I was told by a service person to use the power from the AC unit.

Any help would be helpful. Thank you
Sprinter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Actually not many fifth wheels of most any brand come with a ceiling fan from the factory. Adding a 110VAC powered fan may prove a bit daunting as they are heavy and it’s going to bounce up/down as you drive. I’m willing to bet the factory ones have more bracing in the rafters. You could add bracing but it would involve removing ceiling panels.

I personally wouldn’t do it, but if I did I would look into a 12VDC fan.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Sprinter17

add a ceiling fan

I live in PA, and while looking for a fifth wheel the past few years before I decided to purchase one, I found that most fifth wheels around here come with ceiling fans. With our weather conditions, I think they are definitely a plus to move the air in the camper. Had I had the money when I purchased the camper I would have had the dealer install one. I feel that as long as it is installed properly it would not be a problem when traveling. Like I said almost every fifth wheel sold in PA has one installed. I have found with Keystone the will install only certain things in certain models
Old 07-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Must be an Eastern thing. About the only fiver with a factory ceiling fan I’ve seen out here is a heartland. Back in the day I remember sea breeze came with a fan, real tile counter tops and a price tag that would make your head spin

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
Frank G

Installation of a ceiling fan presets many challenges and even with the best of skills and knowledge may not produce a favorable outcome.Look at the code requirements for stick and brick ceiling fans. We found a Dyson fan at a flee market, refurbished it and it serves us well, all for $30.00
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #6
Dave W

A search for a 12 volt ceiling fan to tie into any permanently live 12VDC ceiling wiring will probably be successful but these fans are often pretty useless. If I really felt that this mod was necessary, my method would be pretty easy for a reasonably competent DIYer.

It would be done using a product called Panduit. This is a surface mounted electrical wiring raceway product line.

You use one of your existing wall electrical outlets. You pull that potlet out of the wall and replace it with a surface mounted box and a new outlet. That new Panduit outlet will have connections to tie the new wiring to the surface mounted raceway, using the various available track and corners. Take a look at this link:https://www.panduit.com/en/home.html . These parts and pieces will be available at any decent electrical supply house for a reasonabl cost. You then paint this raceway to match the interior and it will just about disappear from sight

The most difficult part is to find a ceiling rafter or truss as you will need something relatively solid to permanently hold that 6-8 pound hanging weight. You also need to make sure that any fan will clear a slide when pulled in. Also, get a 5 blade with the largest diameter (54 or 60 inch if possible) set of blades that fit. After all, going through all that work, you want a good breeze.

I've used Panduit several times in stick and brick homes and it has easily done the job. There are similar products though the recommended one seems to cover all eventualities best - for me, anyhow.

Oh and ceiling fans - have been in all mid and up 5ers and even most TT s we had looked at in our part of the US.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW Tiffen motorhomes come with a 12VDC ceiling fan in the bedroom and I can say they move some air. 2 speeds and reversible.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
ptooti

we have one of these above the bed works fantastic we just take it down to travel https://www.ebay.com/bhp/12-volt-ceiling-fan

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
FWIW Tiffen motorhomes come with a 12VDC ceiling fan in the bedroom and I can say they move some air. 2 speeds and reversible.

You pay DEARLY for anything that says Tiffen plus whatever I've seen had too small of a diameter fan to move air quietly at a reasonable speed, i.e. the one in our now long gone Titanium which roared
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 AM   #10
WiscTraveler

I have the same unit but a 2018 Sprinter 29FWRL. I also thought about the ceiling fan but had a large table top oscillating fan that does the job. I am curious being I have the same model and I was wondering if you have a TV in the bedroom? If you do where did you mount it? The TV connections are right above the sliding door but do not seem to be able to locate a place on the wall to mount the wall adapter for holding the TV. Dealer was no help.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Must be an Eastern thing. About the only fiver with a factory ceiling fan I’ve seen out here is a heartland. Back in the day I remember sea breeze came with a fan, real tile counter tops and a price tag that would make your head spin
Intresting our 2005 Sprinter Copper Canyon can with an optional ceiling fan works nice to circulate air.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Sprinter17

Hi WiscTravler, My bedroom tv is on the outside wall towards the entrance of the camper. The only problem I had is there was a lower cabinet with drawers and an upper cabinet with doors. The tv would set on top of the lower cabinet and the outlet and cable are on that wall. I found that was too low for the tv, so I pulled the upper cabinet off of the wall and placed the tv on top of that. That makes it the right height to view from bed.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Sprinter17

add a ceiling fan

While all of you are helping, I don't think I would install a 12-volt fan. While I was having warranty service done to my camper I asked the serviceman and he advised opening the AC unit and tap off the 120 volts there. This is how I would do it. There is not any 12 volt near where I want to mount the fan and the cost more than a 120-volt fan would.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Haven’t seen a higher end 5th wheel without a ceiling fan...all brands....in dealerships and other folks’ personal campers in campgrounds. Ceilings are so high, a fan is almost a must just like in a house with vaulted ceilings. I live in Missouri, but travel across the country Jan-May plus additional trips through the Summer and Fall. Finding reliable plans showing roof rafters for bracing likely a challenge. I would go to a dealership rather than chance it. Let the technician sweat it. If a new coach, doing this would void your warranty and any problems with the roof could be very, very bad.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
mhbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter17 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2017 Sprinter 298FWRLS. Unfortunately, Sprinters do not come with ceiling fans like most fifth wheels do. I would like to add one but I would like to hear from someone who has added on.
How did you find and supply the power source?
How did you mount it? Did you have to find studs?
What size and placement do I have to consider?
I'm figuring on purchasing a 42" blade unit. I will try to place it forward enough to so the slides won't hit the fan when they are pulled in. I was told by a service person to use the power from the AC unit.

Any help would be helpful. Thank you
This is what I did in our bedroom to move air. its not a ceiling fan but the next best thing to it. see link below.
Mel
https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/201...-installation/ or click Here
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
CaptnJohn

When searching for a Montana last year every unit had a ceiling fan. We use ours in the HC at times.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
travelin texans

Our last 3 5ers all came with 120 volt ceiling fans & like our house was/is, if the power is on so is the fan, 24/7, along with a couple other table fans. There's air moving in every room summer & winter.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
larryflew

Our Alpine did come with a ceiling fan but was in bad need of replacement due to previous owner not watching what they where doing and hit the fan with a slide coming in. Make sure you don't go too low if you have a slide in that area.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote