Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
Colorado603

Heater and Stove Not Working

Hey there everybody. I have a 2016 Springdale Mini and my heater and stove are not working...and it's COLD! 13 degrees as I write this.

This started happening last summer and now I get nothing. There is no propane going to the heater or stove. I have tried multiple tanks, changed the lines from the tank to the trailer, new regulator, checked the LP detector and still nothing. I have read about a gas shut-off valve on the heater but cant find it.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Colorado603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado603 View Post
Hey there everybody. I have a 2016 Springdale Mini and my heater and stove are not working...and it's COLD! 13 degrees as I write this.

This started happening last summer and now I get nothing. There is no propane going to the heater or stove. I have tried multiple tanks, changed the lines from the tank to the trailer, new regulator, checked the LP detector and still nothing. I have read about a gas shut-off valve on the heater but cant find it.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
A shut off valve on the heater would not have any effect on your stove. You say you’ve changed the regulator. Regulators are designed to shut down if there is a rapid gas flow. It could be something as simple as opening the valve on your LP tank too quickly. First thing I would try is shutting the LP off to reset the regulator and then slowly opening the valve and see if your stove will light. Light the stove first to purge any air from the lines.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Daryles

Any chance altitude has anything to do with it?
If you have already done everything else, maybe disconnect the pipes after the regulator and disconnect each appliance from the pipes and blow compressed air through. Just in case there is a blockage somewhere. Go gently. Blow from the appliance end towards the larger supply pipe.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
slow

Small propane tanks and cold temperatures can result in no or limited propane flow.

Here is a thread on the issue: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=21510
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

"It started last summer" Exactly what started? So you've had no gas going to the stove since summer? What about the hot water heater? Does that work?

You didn't mention the tank changeover valve. Has that been checked? If nothing has worked when it's warm and everything else was replaced then it sounds like a blocked line. If it was working until it got very cold then there are possibilities of other issues.

Cold weather can hinder small lp tanks. Propane boils at something like -40 deg Fahrenheit. But like water, temp & pressure effect the exact temp and rate at which it boils (this is why car cooling systems are pressurized, to increase the boiling point).

The appliances use the gas from the liquid propane boiling off. The smaller the tank the less available surface are available to boil off. This slower rate of boiling off can relate to a lower pressure than is necessary to operate the diaphragms of the regulators or appliance's. Tank heaters are available to help with cold temp issues.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

You didn't mention the tank changeover valve. Has that been checked? .
Minis only have one LP tank, no changeover valve.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
skids

Colorado603, Did you get the propane from the same supplier? I wonder about the purity of propane. Could there be ice in the valve or regulator? I would think about getting a blow dryer or something and heating those components. Also you might ensure that there is propane in that cylinder!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

What did the guys at the shop say were you purchased all that new equipment.
Did they tell you to check the LP detector?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
What did the guys at the shop say were you purchased all that new equipment.
Did they tell you to check the LP detector?
Good point, I meant to address that in my post. The LP leak detector is just that, a leak detector and has nothing to do with the propane system other than alerting at the presence of propane gas in the living area.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
skids

Here is a link to technical info on propane that you can read whil you freeze your buns off.
https://www.propane101.com/propanegradesandquality.htm
Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Better question would be why anyone would be camping in a "Mini" in 13F temps! That ol' boy must be a lot tougher than me. Getting water in or sewage out would even be kind of problematic and take skills a Texas boy ain't got.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
Colorado603

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the advice. I have tried everything that has been recommended with no luck. Well, I haven't tried blowing out the propane lines but that will likely be the next step.

Is there any way that the battery could be an issue (pretty sure its dead) but I do have the generator running. A fuse or breaker? I have read about "shut-off" valves that are controlled electronically but not sure if that is true for my trailer or not.

Totally confused...

Thanks again from -

Cold in Colorado.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado603 View Post
Hey everybody! Thanks for all the advice. I have tried everything that has been recommended with no luck. Well, I haven't tried blowing out the propane lines but that will likely be the next step.

Is there any way that the battery could be an issue (pretty sure its dead) but I do have the generator running. A fuse or breaker? I have read about "shut-off" valves that are controlled electronically but not sure if that is true for my trailer or not.

Totally confused...

Thanks again from -

Cold in Colorado.
You do need need 12v for the fridge, furnace, and hot water heater to operate on propane. Your stove top does not require 12 vdc. Does your interior lights work? If the generator is supplying proper electricity to the shore power plug then the converter should be providing 12v. Discharging the battery until it's "dead" then that will damage/shorten the life of the battery.

I am not aware of of any propane "electrical shut off valve" other than the solenoid valves that are on appliance control boards (fridge, HWH, furnace).

Sounds to me like it's time for you to call in a tech that can see and test the system as so far it sounds like you have thrown a lot of money at the issue in parts with no results.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a "dead battery" connected to the converter system, it could freeze (discharged batteries will freeze solid) and could cause the converter to turn itself off to protect it from the shorted battery or it may blow a fuse in the reverse polarity circuit. You could troubleshoot it by disconnecting the battery (it's bad anyway) and see if you have 12 volt power by turning on the lights in the trailer. If they turn on AND all the fuses in the DC distribution panel inside the power center are good, then you should have 12 VDC power, but I'd disconnect the bad battery before it does cause an issue....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #15
Daryles

If your battery is dead, borrow the one from your truck and put it in. Before you do that test the voltage on the battery cable with the battery disconnected. This will tell you if your converter is working.
You must have 12v system working for your furnace to work. AND of course you have to have propane flow.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
bsmith0404

The biggest issue I see is that the stove isn’t working. That doesn’t require anything other than LP and a spark. It has to be a simple LP flow problem, be it no flow or a leak.

My guess is there is a leak and the regulator is doing its job and shutting the LP flow off. Most likely need to connect an air line to get air flow going and get the soap and water out to find a leak.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #17
rjrelander

I know sometimes it takes a while to get LP from our tanks to the stove top. We replaced the single LP tank with a dual tanks and a new regulator but just for the extra LP, not because the original single tank setup wasn't working.

The hot water heater also takes a while to light after it's been sitting for a while. The last time I tried the furnace, the LP detector went off and I never went back to look at what was going on. We use an electric space heater and the coldest we've camped was 32 degrees.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #18
terrythetech

I had a similar issue with no propane to my stove or heater. The answer ended up being the small hose between the tank and the regulators. I thought how could a simple hose be plugged up? Well in that hose there is a small spring and ball. The hose is supposed to be open unless there is a major leak in which case the high flow of gas is supposed to slam shut to stop the leak. It's been called a slam valve for that reason. After the tank has been turned off for a while and the pressure in the lines drop, I turned the gas on too quickly and the invisible "slam valve" in that hose slammed closed. It did not return to the open position like it was supposed to do. No more gas to anything. I shut off the tank, removed the hose and tried blowing through it.... nothing. I replaced the hose and from then on I learned to open the tank valve VERY slowly until it pressurized everything. The valve on the tank doesnt need to be fully open either. Just a 1/2 turn will usually be more than enough. In a factory I had worked as a maintenance mechanic, we were taught to just crack open that valve as in case of a leak, fire or damage to the gas lines it was faster to close the valve quickly if it was just cracked open a half turn. I was able to get the original hose working again and kept it as a spare. I would be willing to bet this is your problem as well.
I was once told not to overthink problems. "If you want to know how to do things easily...just ask the fat man."
Camco 59843 20" Pigtail Propane Hose Connectors - Acme x 1/4" Male NPT
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007HG7S..._wDYeEb7M6HW57
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:40 AM   #19
Roscommon48

At this point I'd get the heck out of dodge and get to a dealer and have them deal with the issue. You've tried a number of things and nothing resolved the issue.

I hope you have electric heaters going...everything will be freezing where you are.

One question you didn't answer, is your hot water tank gas too? Does that work?

Good Luck from Key West.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #20
Colorado603

Thanks so much Terrythetech! How did you fix that old hose? I have it off and want to give it a shot.

Tags
heat, heater