Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
tech740

Battery Question

I did not want to high jack another active thread with this question so here goes. Why when connecting a double battery bank do you connect to one lead on each battery, not just use both leads on the closest battery? I get the part about doubling capacity not volts by hooking them up in parallel, the positive's and negative's together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x12VoltinParallel.gif
Views:	117
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	24734  

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
Roscommon48

balance. that's it.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Electricity ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance. If you look at the diagram you posted, there's a note between the two "load cables" that states,
(EQUAL LENGTH CABLES). An extra foot or two of cable on one lead will change the resistance in the cables and can affect the electrical flow between the batteries so one provides more flow (discharges faster) then the other. This becomes important when recharging the batteries. Think of it along the lines of putting cups of water (electricity) into a bowl (battery). If you add water equally, and the bowls have different water levels, one will overflow before the other is full. It's the same with batteries: fill them equally, empty them equally and they will "balance" longer without the stress of unequal discharge/recharge cycles.

What you're doing by connecting the + terminal on one battery and the - terminal on the other battery, is forcing the electricity to be drawn from both batteries "equally". If both of the load cables were connected to the same battery, the "path of least resistance" would be through the top battery only and the bottom battery would only supply electrons (flow electricity) at a reduced rate consistent with the amount of resistance in the cables and connections between the two batteries.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
tech740

Thanks, that makes sense just wondered if it was that simple of a reason

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
ADQ K9

I pull my batteries for winter storage and this is how I have them hooked up on a 1.5 amp Charger/ maintainer. I cant picture the way they are on the trailer but I think I will have to get longer cables to even out the trailer connection.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery