Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #1
mfifield01

Grills in Bear Country

I'm heading up to Colorado this weekend. I typically cook on a Weber Jumbo Joe. What are the best options for places without bear boxes? I have been to RMNP and just stored the grill in the bear box after it cooled down. The first place, Cheyenne Mountain SP, doesn't appear to have bear boxes. Should I put it in the storage area of the RV (any risks)? I test fit it last night and can get it in there with the lid off.

When I was boondocking in Pagosa Springs last summer, I just put the cooler 200' away from the campsite. Cheyenne is developed, so I don't think this will work (or be allowed).
Old 07-25-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Can you put it in the vehicle? That's where we put our stuff and never had a problem. Never used a food locker. I would worry about using the camper because they just aren't sealed that well or that strong. A big brown bear, or black bear, can do some crazy stuff. Seal the stuff up.

I wouldn't just put stuff out and leave it "over there" either....even 200'. My dad made that mistake once and it just invited the bear to our vicinity. Then, it decided to check everything out including the tent we were in. It left after tearing the side out and landing on my sister who was laying in a cot. She was terrified (she was about 7-8). I suppose her incessant screaming is what scared it away....and we had nothing in the tent, it was just curious.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Badbart56

Bear Grylls?

I'm sorry I couldn't resist!!!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
mfifield01

I don't really want to put it inside my truck. I might clean it at home and not use it until I leave Cheyenne. I'm not sure if cleaning it will get rid of all of the smell.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
wobly

Cheyenne Mountain State Park doesn't have bear boxes. If you can fit the grill in your storage compartment, that will keep you from getting a ticket. We have done it at CMSP, the Air Force Academy, 11 Mile State Park and Mueller State Park and never had a problem. (Knock on wood)

Pagosa Springs, I would keep everything locked up tight and NOT in my truck. If the bear wants it, they will destroy the vehicle to get at it.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
wobly

Just for fun, here is a picture of Cheyenne Mountain State Park from Ft.Carson.

It's a great state park! You will barely know that you are across the street from a military post. Click image for larger version

Name:	1532533128755.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	17633
Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Steve/

If it was was me I would ask when checking in if the BQ can be left out or where to put it.
The other though is to have a lock on the lid or wrap with a chain so a bear can not get in it.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
Cheyenne Mountain State Park doesn't have bear boxes. If you can fit the grill in your storage compartment, that will keep you from getting a ticket. We have done it at CMSP, the Air Force Academy, 11 Mile State Park and Mueller State Park and never had a problem. (Knock on wood)

Pagosa Springs, I would keep everything locked up tight and NOT in my truck. If the bear wants it, they will destroy the vehicle to get at it.
Did you clean the grill after using it?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Did you clean the grill after using it?
I hit it with the BBQ brush and wiped it down so I wouldn't have grease all over the storage compartment.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
Number 4

From the internet photos I've seen of a Weber Jumbo Joe it looks like it would easily fit in a large black plastic bag, the kind sold for leaves and yard debris. Dump the coals in the fire pit, let the grill cool, single or double bag it, tie shut and store it in your truck or trailer.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Canonman

We camped last fall at Ridgeway SP. I spoke with the ranger there about their BBQ rule. He said the bears have "learned" not only the smell but also the sight of the BBQ. He recommended putting it in a tote (which we do when storing) and putting the tote in the cargo compartment. So for us it was pack it up and put it away. We used the grill everyday we were there and found packing and storing a nuisance but not as bad as the fine imposed if we didn't comply. Bogan Flat CG had bear boxes which were much more convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	17634  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
If it was was me I would ask when checking in if the BQ can be left out or where to put it.
The other though is to have a lock on the lid or wrap with a chain so a bear can not get in it.

I don't know if I would leave it out and try to secure it with a lock or a chain. I saw the aftermath of a grizzly going thru a camp that had left the metal coolers and equipment outside - it just shredded them to get in them. Here's a link to a synopsis of an event involving an Alaskan grizzly. Note the picture of the paw and claws against the shooter about 3/4 of the way down. Imagine "that" paw working on you BBQ pit......

https://outdoors360.com/massive-1600...er-true-story/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Can you put it in the vehicle? That's where we put our stuff and never had a problem. Never used a food locker. I would worry about using the camper because they just aren't sealed that well or that strong. A big brown bear, or black bear, can do some crazy stuff. Seal the stuff up...
When we camped in Yosemite, there were some pictures, on the information board at the gate, to encourage you to not to leave anything in your car and I would imagine that would pertain to the camper as well... the pictures were of what used to be a car that someone left a box of donuts on the floor... the doors and rear hatch were ripped from it and and everything that used to be inside: including seats, dash, etc was strewn around outside.

Bears are very powerful animals and they have an amazing sense of smell, pretty sure double trash bags and roughneck totes will not help .

-Brian
Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
KimNTerry

I have seen a bear in Yosemite remove a windshield in seconds. They are habituated and fearless but Yosemite provides bear boxes to store food and other bear attractants.

If a bear box is provided USE it. If it's NOT provided, car and trailer are OK and you are in fact advised by the rangers and literature provided to store items there. (Mostly to avoid a ticket from an over eager ranger. Personally, I have yet to see a bear in a campground that does NOT provide bear boxes)

You could scrub that grill for days and make it look like new and a bear could still smell it from miles away. It is impossible to get the smell off it.

The tote or plastic bag is to keep your vehicle or storage space cleaner not to to discourage a hungry bear.

My small propane grill, goes into the basement storage when cooled off and not in use. (UNLESS there is a bear box provided, then I know bears can be a real issue in that location and I use the bear box.)

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Steve/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know if I would leave it out and try to secure it with a lock or a chain. I saw the aftermath of a grizzly going thru a camp that had left the metal coolers and equipment outside - it just shredded them to get in them. Here's a link to a synopsis of an event involving an Alaskan grizzly. Note the picture of the paw and claws against the shooter about 3/4 of the way down. Imagine "that" paw working on you BBQ pit......

https://outdoors360.com/massive-1600...er-true-story/
I live in Colorado and have seen what a bear can do on the news. All the camping I have done in the state. I have only seen one bear and he saw us and took off. I feel the park is over reacting but it their call, that why I said ask them, what the least you can do and not get a ticket. Let's face it the fire ring normally has a build in grill so the smell is already there for the bears.
I like the idea of the black plastic bag and put it in the bed of truck, (I do not have a truck) if that works for the park. The bag would stop the smell but I bet the bear knows the black bag means food. I keep my BQ in the pass thru storage but my BQ is smaller than his. I do not think of the pass thru storage as bear proof. For the price that they are charging they should have bear boxes if they want to have rules like this.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Thinking out loud...

Double bag it after rinsing it with some full strength ammonia.
Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
Number 4

I did a little internet reading on camping in bear country and supposedly a bear's sense of smell is 7 times better than a bloodhound. It seems that one dollop of marshmallow in the dirt from that smore or a little hot dog "juice" on some unburnt firewood could bring them into your camp. One article said you need to have a dedicated set of cooking clothes, do your cooking 100 yards away from camp and change out of those clothes immediately after cooking. Safe handling of food, trash and cooking gear is wise and bear lockers are great, but we're never going to get it perfect in bear country.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #18
KimNTerry

Car camping/RVing on the edges of bear country is NOT the same as backpacking in the middle of bear country.

In the wilderness/backpacking, if bears are an issue (and they usually are), then absolutely NEVER EVER Sleep in clothing you have cooked or eaten food in. Those clothes go in the bear canister or up in the tree in the bear bag 100 yards away from where you sleep. Backpackers are typically well versed in the bear triangle and how NOT to ring the dinner bell.

If you're in an established campground, the bears know where those are and the dinner bell is always ringing. The dumpsters alone are a huge attractant. This is another method of determining the seriousness of the bear issue in certain campgrounds. A standard dumpster with a latch or caribiner on the cover is not that challenging for a hungry bear. On the other hand, a dumpster constructed of 1/4 or 3/8 plate steel with balances or hydraulic assist lids is a different issue and denotes a real bear issue (Yosemite, Yellowstone, and others come to mind). Be "bear aware" and store and dispose of items as prescribed by local authorities and you should not have any issues. If you have questions contact the campground you will stay at they will know best for the particular area and season.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Car camping/RVing on the edges of bear country is NOT the same as backpacking in the middle of bear country.

In the wilderness/backpacking, if bears are an issue (and they usually are), then absolutely NEVER EVER Sleep in clothing you have cooked or eaten food in. Those clothes go in the bear canister or up in the tree in the bear bag 100 yards away from where you sleep. Backpackers are typically well versed in the bear triangle and how NOT to ring the dinner bell.

If you're in an established campground, the bears know where those are and the dinner bell is always ringing...
Yes, well put and accurate. The best we can do is minimize attractants in our own camp. I've often heard it said that bears will be attracted to toothpaste, now watch the tent campers brush their teeth outside and spit in the bushes (like I did myself many years ago). During our last outing at a 7,200 ft elevation mountain lake we heard there had been a bear in camp. Nobody around us left or freaked out. It's a risk that can be minimized but not eliminated. When there are no bear lockers I'll be double bagging my grill and putting it in a plastic tote inside the truck cab. Hopefully any hungry bears will go for easier pickin's.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
When there are no bear lockers I'll be double bagging my grill and putting it in a plastic tote inside the truck cab. Hopefully any hungry bears will go for easier pickin's.
Or make it easy for them and let them have that instead of going through your camper baggage door or vehicle glass.

I was amazed in Yosemite to see that big bear pop out a windshield faster than a glass shop.