Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
POBOYPCB

After many years of trial runs my household has come upon what we call the 250-4 rule.
After 250 miles or 4:00 PM its time to stop.
And we usually try to remember, "It's not the destination, it's the journey"!
Happy, safe travels
POBOYPCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #22
dryflycaster

By all means stay hitched up if you don't need to make any side trips.

Last year the wife and I were on the road (2017 RAM Turbo Diesel pulling a 30 foot Avenger ATI) for the entire month of June. We traveled from Northern/Upstate NY to Grand Junction CO and back.

We planned the entire trip with 300 to 400 mile legs (a couple streched past the 400 mark) . We both researched our planned stops/camping destinations. Some stops were simple over nighters while others were a bit more elaborate. For the stops that looked interesting we allotted a extra day or three to take in the sights and attractions. Google can be you friend with this, just type in the "nearested town or city" with the word "attractions".

On the over nighters I left the camper hitched up, while on the multi-day stops I unhitched (I always ran the jack down for a little more stability while still hooked up). We spent four days in Grand Junction which also included a side trip to the Clif Palace, Mesa Verde National Park, CO, three days wandering around Yellowstone, WY and Yellowstone National Park and two days in Custer, SD (Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and more). We actually saw more wildlife in Custer State Park than in Yellowstone National Park. No Griz in either park though, sadly they were on my wildlife bucket list.

A little preplanning can go a long way. I will admit though, that we could have lengthened the trip some and made a few of the over nighters a little longer. All in all it was a great trip.
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #23
RK1978

We often stay hooked up for one night stops. Our usual plan is to have every stop researched and call ahead to confirm. The normal driving day is 400 miles (plus or minus 50) and be stopped by 3 in the afternoon. If we leave at a decent hour of the morning, that allows us to drive at a reasonable speed and let the high speed rigs pass us by. I enjoy driving and my wife enjoys riding so it works out pretty well. ANY travel is better than none!
PR
2008 Hideout 26B
2007 Dodge 3500 "desmogged" 6.7 Cummins
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch