Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Cabindweller

Power cord LED question

The power cord for my 2016 Cougar (50amp) has two blue LED lights on the end that plugs into the power source. When plugging in last night, I noticed that one of the two is not turning on (lighting up). Does this indicate a problem or did the light just burn out. Everything in the coach seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The two blue LED's are there to indicate that power is being applied in that "half" of the power cord. The 50 amp plug is actually two "power wires" a "common return wire" and a "ground wire". I'd suspect that one leg of the 50 amp power pedestal is not getting power to your cord plug. A couple of ways to determine if the LED's are working: First, carry the cord to another pedestal and see if both LED's light. If they do, then your pedestal has a wiring/power issue, contact the campground. Or, secondly, if you have a voltmeter, you can test both legs of the pedestal. You should get 115 VAC from "leg 1 to ground/neutral" and 115 VAC from "leg 2 to ground/neutral". If you do, then I'd guess your cord LED is not working.

You "should" be able to tell if both legs of your power cord are working by checking which circuits are powered by each leg at the circuit breaker box inside your RV. If both sides have power, then I'd suspect your cord LED, but there's a possibility that all of your circuit breakers are located on "one side of your power source, so without knowing how your RV is actually wired, this last paragraph "may not be accurate".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Cabindweller

I moved the cord to my neighbor's pedestal (his cord has both blue lights lit). Again, at his pedestal, only one of my lights is on. Everything in my camper is working (running both AC units at once while using other appliances in the camper at the same time).

It sounds like my light just went out. Camper is still under warranty. I'll contact my dealership and see about getting a new cord.

Thanks.

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
bobbecky

Sounds like a power cord with LED lights that aren't reliable is a waste of time. Ours doesn't have them and have never seen one yet, and we have no problem figuring out whether both legs are working, especially if we are using a Progressive or other brand surge/voltage protection device.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Sounds like a power cord with LED lights that aren't reliable is a waste of time. Ours doesn't have them and have never seen one yet, and we have no problem figuring out whether both legs are working, especially if we are using a Progressive or other brand surge/voltage protection device.
^^^That^^^

Sometimes bling complicates things and is unnecessary to begin with. Having said that, I do have a 15A extension cord with a single LED that verifies at night from a distance that the power is on. I like it, but I would rather use the green/red LED on the surge protector to know that I have good power for the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
agcrock2005

Thanks! I'm hoping just the plug now after reading your response. Of the two blue lights on the power cord only one was on so I hope you're right!! Fingers crossed. Thank you.

Edit. HA. Just responded to the wrong thread, but a thread that's very helpful to me.
agcrock2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
mcomeaux

Mine worked for 2 outings and then zipo nothing but cord works fine
Old 09-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like you have a Furrion shore cord. Is there also a blue “smile” on the cover at the trailer end? It seems to be common for that one to quit early on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #9
Snoking

Rather than spending money on a new power cable, spend it on a hardwired PI EMS with remote. You will be protected for lost neutral and be able to see line voltage and amps for each leg, along with all the other low and over voltage and such conditions protections.