Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #21
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstedman View Post
I just traded in my 2014 F150 for a 2018 F250 Super Duty with a diesel engine. My question is, when filling up at a truck stop can I pull into a fill up lane where the truckers get their fuel? I am pulling a Cougar Xlite and I have seen people with diesel engines fill up at the auto pumps. Also, is the diesel fuel the same type for the big rigs as it is for my truck.
You will be surprised how much farther you will be able to travel on a fill-up of diesel than when you had a gas rig. Saying that to say this... In five years I can count on one hand how few of times I had to fill-up with my rv attached to the truck. Then again our days are approximately 150-200 miles from point A to point B.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #22
rogeru

Just my 2cw....I have found that the "Pilots", and other commercial truck stations are more trouble than they are worth....and generally more expensive, even with their "cash" price, or Good Sam discount. We have a 34 ft. TT pulled with a diesel pickup truck. I use the "mom & pop" fuel stations, (as I call them), because I generally save a LOT of cents per gallon over the truckstop prices. Sure, you have to look them over to be sure you will fit, but I don't mind doing it to save a lot of $$$ overall. I've never got trapped yet, (knock on wood!). I did the same thing when I drove 45 ft. commercial charter buses, too. But, as Clint Eastwood once said: " A man's got to know his limitations "....... so this isn't a good way for everybody.
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #23
srvnt

Iv'e never used one but I'm told to be careful with the DEF dispenser at truck stops, it's high pressure and will fill a dinky truck in no time. If truckers have to wait, they have lots to do while waiting in line, like check their e-mail for example, like I do.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #24
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
Iv'e never used one but I'm told to be careful with the DEF dispenser at truck stops, it's high pressure and will fill a dinky truck in no time. If truckers have to wait, they have lots to do while waiting in line, like check their e-mail for example, like I do.

My '17 Ram has a picture of a Def Pump with a line through it (do NOT use DEF at the pump) for that reason, I believe.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #25
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post

I've never used the DEF pumps. The stealership recommended adding the 2.5 gallon box once the warning msg comes up, and not to top it off.

Back to the OP though, when traveling on busy highways, I dont worry at the big truck stops about getting boxed in and having to back out, and never felt like I was holding someone up. I've stopped at plenty of the mom and pops but only when it easy to get out. It will depend on what you are towing but for me the car islands at the WAWA or like places just dont work.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #26
TheGriz

Really??? I regularly use the DEF pumps in the fuel lanes. I run it slowly and never had an issue with any significant "overflow". Nothing a paper towel wouldn't quickly clean up. So what is the issue with DEF at the fuel lane???

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #27
vampress_me

In my 20 years of fueling a diesel truck, both a Dodge and a couple of Fords throughout the West and Midwest:

1) I’ve always used the truck lanes for fueling. Mostly because the auto diesel lanes aren’t typically big enough for a truck and trailer, and most auto lanes I’ve checked only have the small diameter diesel nozzles. Our trucks have always had the large diameter opening, so I’ll use the large diameter nozzle so I’m not sitting there forever. And we’ve never had to throttle down the pump handle to fill. Fast flow has always worked on our trucks.
2) when done fueling, pull ahead so you don’t block the pump. That was Rule #1 I was taught when living in MT, and we follow it to this day. Being polite to others is a great thing. Corollary that goes with Rule #1 - stay out of the way of the truckers. Make sure when you pull forward from that pump to park, you aren’t blocking them from a main pathway for driving.
3) DEF at the pump has become a nice thing. Our newest truck is the only one we’ve had that requires DEF, and I dislike trying to get the stupid flimsy plastic nozzle of a box of DEF to not spill. I’ve had better luck with DEF from the pump.
4) Red dye diesel is the same diesel as road diesel, just dyed red and no road tax. When I’ve bought it the past few years, it’s labeled the same ultra low sulfur content just like the rest of the diesel. Do Not Ever put this in your truck. Bad juju from the police and big fines!
5) Always use #2 diesel in summer. Never run pure #1 diesel (at least that’s what I was taught by a few diesel mechanics, YMMV). In winter cold weather, run a blend, or If station only has #2 add in some anti-gel when filling up. Many stations do already have a blend at the pump, but if the pump says #2, believe it and add an anti-gel.
6) I was always told to fill at busier stations since that should equal fresher diesel, not old fuel. No reference to back this up, other than what truckers, mechanics, and our repair shop owner has told me. So, I do. Seems to work fine for me.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #28
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Really??? I regularly use the DEF pumps in the fuel lanes. I run it slowly and never had an issue with any significant "overflow". Nothing a paper towel wouldn't quickly clean up. So what is the issue with DEF at the fuel lane???
If you let it overflow you of course are "overfilling" it. My manual warns against filling the def to the top as it supposedly needs some air at the top to work properly. I don't know how true this is but I don't take any chances, when a systems check says the tank is less than 1/2 full I add 2.5 gallons. YMMV

By the way anyone who has access to an Atwoods store, they have 2.5 Gal. of DEF for less than 6 dollars.

One other point, I have run into a few fuel stops where the pumps at the truck islands that are closest to the building have the small auto type pump handles.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #29
Harleydodge

Another reason not to overfill is that DEF will freeze below -11c (12f).
The manufacturers have built in tank and supply line heaters to help this but I don't believe the filler necks are heated. If it were to freeze there, it may cause a vacuum lock in the tank and also may expand and cause a leak.
IMHO these are very unlikely to happen though and obviously if you don't run in cold weather it won't be an issue.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #30
jsmith948

I always try to buy diesel at a station that sells a lot of diesel. The problem with some "Mom & Pop" stations is that they don't sell a lot of diesel. You end up with diesel that has been in the ground for a while accumulating water from condensation - not to mention algae. JMHO. When I drove commercially, I fueled at an 'out of the way' fuel stop once - was alongside the road changing fuel filters about 50 miles later. Lesson learned

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Same fuel, the off road diesel will damage your truck as it is not low sulfur. The repairs would be more costly than the fines. I don't use the truck pumps unless forced to either by pump island positioning or low fuel desperation. If you plan ahead you won't get into those bad situations. There are aps available for "rv friendly" fuel stops and google earth satellite images are good also. Bear in mind also that truck stop pumps on the truck side do not take credit cards, typically only company fuel cards so you must go in, wait in line, pre pay, often with a substantial hold on your card. Then pump and then return to the cashier for your receipt and to reset the pump.
NO, NO! INCORRECT! Off road diesel is the very same fuel at ALL the pumps with the exception of a red dye added to the off road fuel. WILL NOT harm your pickup, but will take 5-6 tank fills before the dye is gone. Also as mentioned if by the million to one chance you got with it the fine would be hefty.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #32
travelin texans

Also if towing I won't hesitate a bit to pull into the truck lanes, fill u0 & move forward, as said I pay the same taxes.
I would like to use the DEF pumps while there, but my GMC has the fill under the hood on the passenger side firewall & most of the hoses aren't long enough to reach across, unless I back up & angle very close on the drivers side, not an ideal spot for the fill port, but fully understand why.
As for any professionalism left nowadays with a truck driver I've failed to see it. Most look like carnival ride operators that got promoted to truck driver.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #33
captcolour

I always use the DEF nozzles at the truck stops. Never any problem filling, just need to throttle it back. Also, you need to know your DEF tank capacity and your level. I always dispense a certain amount based on the current level. I never rely on the nozzle shutting off.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #34
KSH

I've been going to the truck stops for years. No issues. With and without my trailer. My ram 1500 ecodiesel and my 2500 Cummins. No issues with the fuel nozzle size. I always use the def. You may need a magnet for the def pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Star-DEF.../dp/B01BLS220A

Sometimes your credit card won't work outside, it might be for fleet cards only. Just head inside, pay and then pump.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
NO, NO! INCORRECT! Off road diesel is the very same fuel at ALL the pumps with the exception of a red dye added to the off road fuel. WILL NOT harm your pickup, but will take 5-6 tank fills before the dye is gone. Also as mentioned if by the million to one chance you got with it the fine would be hefty.
You are correct , https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-stan...nd-rulemakings
The only off road diesel pumps near me still have the sulfur rating listed on the pumps. Leave it to the People's Republic of Maryland weight's and measures people to not notice! Thanks for the update, some of us old folks are slow on the uptake.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm certainly no expert and don't keep up to date as the rules are implemented and/or changed, but the EPA standards for emissions in farm equipment are changing and evolving almost as fast as those in "on the road" equipment. Farm tractors under 30HP are in a different category than larger equipment. DEF is already required for some equipment and the emissions limits are getting more and more stringent. Low sulfur diesel is no longer a suitable fuel for most "over 30HP farm tractors". Most new ones require the same ultra-low sulfur that our new trucks require. That poses a problem for older tractor owners and we're currently using fuel supplements to keep our engines running.

Essentially, the rules governing all internal combustion engines, whether they are diesel or gas are getting more strict and emissions control is soon going to be mandatory, probably even on our 3HP push mower. It's the same in the marine industry where 2 cycle outboards are now considered "relics' in the new outboard models. I wonder if chain saws and small leaf blowers are going to be next? I'm sure they fall into some "restricted category" that will soon make them obsolete, just like "high sulfur diesel engines"....

The current "off road diesel fuel" is the same ultra-low sulfur fuel that's in the truck lane pumps, only difference is the red dye that identifies it as "tax free fuel" and makes it illegal to use on the highway system (except for some farm licensed vehicles).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

This is off topic but I remember when the lead free change was made. Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland a few counties initiated emission tests. I recall they would have a plastic nozzel to replicate a leaded fuel nozzel and shove it into the fuel fill to see if the owner had "punched in" the nozzel restrictor to use leaded gas. I beleive it was in 1975 when I was having my '72 Gran Torino tested (yes, I wish I would have kept it now) and the girl was back there trying her damndest to shove that nozzel in. I yelled at her to quit before she damaged the restrictor and asked her "when was the last time you saw a lead gas pump? The leaded pumps were removed years ago and the closest leaded gas pump is 2,000 miles away in Mexico!" Her reply? "It's the law, we have to do it. Yup, and Nazi's in 1940's were "just doing their job according to law" to.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Somewhere I've still got the "leaded nozzle adapter" that we used "back in the day" to twist onto the larger leaded fuel nozzle so it would fit in the lead free tank restrictor. We carried it in a zip lock bag in the car and pulled it out to refuel... Between the catalytic converter bypass tubes and nozzle adapters, we managed to "keep using leaded fuel until we finally gave up or it just wasn't available"...

As things change, they tend to remain the same. Ford now provides a "plastic adaptation" of the leaded nozzle adapter to use with their capless fuel cap, for when you happen to run out of gas and have to add a gallon from a red plastic can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaded fuel adapter.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	18070   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORD CAPLESS ADAPTER.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	18071  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #39
rjullrich

You're absolutely right about watching what types of stations you are purchasing your Diesel from. I've never had a problem because that's the sort of thing I do is make sure that it's a busy enough station, and is a name brand. Have to admit I guess I've been lucky for 25 years though! LOL! I just don't like being ripped off by the "Big Boys". They have the commercial truck drivers right where they want them, (but of course there is no collusion going on - RIGHT!!)
rjullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Somewhere I've still got the "leaded nozzle adapter" that we used "back in the day" to twist onto the larger leaded fuel nozzle so it would fit in the lead free tank restrictor. We carried it in a zip lock bag in the car and pulled it out to refuel... Between the catalytic converter bypass tubes and nozzle adapters, we managed to "keep using leaded fuel until we finally gave up or it just wasn't available"...

As things change, they tend to remain the same. Ford now provides a "plastic adaptation" of the leaded nozzle adapter to use with their capless fuel cap, for when you happen to run out of gas and have to add a gallon from a red plastic can.
And the days of removing the catalytic converter and punching the guts out with a peice of rebar. By passing the smog pump and retuning the engine to get the pre-emission HP back out of it.
Yup, got one of those funnels with our King Ranch. Reminded me of the days flying with a "Porta John". Same shape funnel with a square jug molded to the bottom.

Tags
fuel