Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #21
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
It was an easy upgrade, you'll love it!
Awesome, thank you!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
Smartin108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Awesome, thank you!
I'll bite...why is that an upgrade?
Smartin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #23
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartin108 View Post
I'll bite...why is that an upgrade?
The main reason I wanted to change the shore power cord was so there was not a three to four inch opening into my camper. The “mouse hole” style shore power cord is called a mouse hole for a reason. Now, the electrical connection is secure and there is no open hole on the back of my trailer. The new shore power cord is marine grade so it is basically waterproof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D1BBFDD-4F10-4953-ADF0-5AA6DF3871C4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	19541   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6E0E494-01AB-4FAB-8890-8DE6202B995A.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	19542   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8C9E22B-9BE9-432C-8CF0-CCBBCBCBF435.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	19543   Click image for larger version

Name:	66DCE70F-61D5-4A65-9329-581F4479499D.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	19544   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	19545  

Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #24
WNY Bullet

Quote:
The main reason I wanted to change the shore power cord was so there was not a three to four inch opening into my camper. The “mouse hole” style shore power cord is called a mouse hole for a reason. Now, the electrical connection is secure and there is no open hole on the back of my trailer. The new shore power cord is marine grade so it is basically waterproof.
In your second picture, you have a 15a orange power cord coming through the wall just under the original "mouse Hole". What is that used for?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #25
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Good Job !!

Looking at the pictures looks like a good opportunity to add a hardwired EMS system. Basically replace that Junction Box (JB) with the new hardwired EMS unit, I recommend going with the remote monitor option, which will require another wire run from the new EMS unit to a location in your rig where you want your display.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Wingerdinger

Back-tracking just a little, I'm not sure how common the knowledge is, but if you 'exchange' or buy a new, pre-filled propane tank, of any size, they are only filled to no more than 75% of capacity, to comply with transport regulations. Plus, a refill almost always costs less than an exchange. You pay for that convenience twice.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #27
jsmith948

Quote:
In your second picture, you have a 15a orange power cord coming through the wall just under the original "mouse Hole". What is that used for?
I believe the "cord" referenced in your query is the orange romex that carries the power to the distribution panel.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #28
Logan X

Quote:
In the second picture, the electrical box and wiring in it are from the factory. I didn’t have to change any of the factory wiring in that box. I just cut the shore power cord coming out of that box leaving enough cord to wire the new permanently installed shore power receptacle on the outside of the trailer. The orange cord appears to be the 120v power going to the power converter/charging unit.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #29
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Good Job !!

Looking at the pictures looks like a good opportunity to add a hardwired EMS system. Basically replace that Junction Box (JB) with the new hardwired EMS unit, I recommend going with the remote monitor option, which will require another wire run from the new EMS unit to a location in your rig where you want your display.
I have considered the hard wired EMS system however I was concerned it may not work well when I plug into my generator. Do you have any input on that?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #30
FlyingAroundRV

A wired in EMS will work with power that is safe for your trailer. If the EMS isolates the trailer when the generator is being used, then either the gen is miswired or producing the wrong voltage. Either way, the EMS will save you money in the long run.
If you have an inverter type generator of fairly recent model, they should be compatible with your EMS.
I intended to put an EMS in my trailer but didn't get to it before I managed to hook up to a bad connection which took out my converter and the bluray player. The converter alone cost me more than the EMS did.
I have one installed now though!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have considered the hard wired EMS system however I was concerned it may not work well when I plug into my generator. Do you have any input on that?
I think the issue you're worried about is the "uncoupled ground" on free standing generators. They are wired that way to prevent users from being electrocuted by preventing the chassis from becoming hot.

If your EMS detects a floating ground/uncoupled ground condition, it is designed to prevent power application to the trailer. If you're running on a generator, then you know the condition is "normal" and can choose to do one of two actions. First, you can simply "bypass the EMS" fault and apply power to the trailer by using the bypass switch on the EMS remote display. Or, second, you can purchase (manufacture) a bonding plug (look it up on google if you don't know what it is) and plug it into one of the 120 VAC plugs ON THE GENERATOR. That will couple the ground and neutral and allow the EMS to detect the ground and pass power to the trailer.

There are several threads on the forum about this. It's a "normal part of using a freestanding generator" with a trailer. No need to not get an EMS because of an occasional generator use. Just bypass the EMS or get a bonding plug for those few occasions.

You're far more likely to plug into a campground pedestal or a "home garage plug" and need the protection of the EMS. Avoiding installing one because of a "maybe issue" with a generator is leaving yourself "vulnerable to electrical damage" that the EMS could protect your investment from being exposed to.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #32
cookinwitdiesel

Or just use an external EMS...so it is optional to use/remove and if damaged trivial to replace
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #33
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
A wired in EMS will work with power that is safe for your trailer. If the EMS isolates the trailer when the generator is being used, then either the gen is miswired or producing the wrong voltage. Either way, the EMS will save you money in the long run.
If you have an inverter type generator of fairly recent model, they should be compatible with your EMS.
I intended to put an EMS in my trailer but didn't get to it before I managed to hook up to a bad connection which took out my converter and the bluray player. The converter alone cost me more than the EMS did.
I have one installed now though!
Good information, thanks. I have a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator that is only a couple of years old. I think I’ll try the hard wired EMS so I don’t have to worry about anyone stealing a portable EMS device.

Tags
mod, mods