Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
OldKingKibitzer

Tiny Drip Outside by Corner of Water Heater

I noticed a super tiny drip near the bottom corner of my hot water heater outside. I checked up underneath but I didn't seen any additional water or anything like that. I opened up the cover and didn't see any water inside by the pilot or anything like that. We have had a lot of rain so I'm not sure if it is just from that or if it's related to condensation from the hot water heater...It's a super small drop of water and drips at a rate of about 1 drip every 3 seconds.

Any insight or suggestions before I have it pulled a part to look at it?

Sorry for the sideways photo! I'm not sure why it won't load correctly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	18599  
OldKingKibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That water looks like it’s coming from underneath the frame of the water heater. You need to access the back of the water heater and check the hose connections.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
OldKingKibitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That water looks like it’s coming from underneath the frame of the water heater. You need to access the back of the water heater and check the hose connections.
How does one access the back of the water heater? Inside or outside? From where it is on my unit it appears to be under the bedroom- it's not by the sink.
OldKingKibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

On the inside of your trailer opposite the outside of the water heater will be a panel that is held in place with a couple screws. It is good to know where this panel is as you will likely have to winterize the water system and part of this is to turn a valve behind the water heater. Remove the screws and you will see the back of the water heater; there will be a cold water line in and a hot water line out. These connect to the water heater and I think they will be pex. You should look under these and at the connections to the water heater for a small leak. IF they are pex and a connection is leaking, you will need a pex tool to install a new clamp OR take it to the RV place where you bought it and let them fix it. Don't know where you bought it or if it is a new trailer but put your trailer type and year in your signature and that would say a lot on the subject.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
OldKingKibitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
On the inside of your trailer opposite the outside of the water heater will be a panel that is held in place with a couple screws. It is good to know where this panel is as you will likely have to winterize the water system and part of this is to turn a valve behind the water heater. Remove the screws and you will see the back of the water heater; there will be a cold water line in and a hot water line out. These connect to the water heater and I think they will be pex. You should look under these and at the connections to the water heater for a small leak. IF they are pex and a connection is leaking, you will need a pex tool to install a new clamp OR take it to the RV place where you bought it and let them fix it. Don't know where you bought it or if it is a new trailer but put your trailer type and year in your signature and that would say a lot on the subject.

Awesome! I'll take a look for that! Thanks so much- I added my signature. It's a 2013 Fuzion 310...
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Bisjoe

Mine did that one time when on electric heat, and it was dripping from the pressure relief valve. I turned it off and let it cool, then opened it briefly with the lever and closed again and it sealed, no more problems.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know what kind of heater you have but mine is an atwood. Had a problem similar but when I pulled the cover to the water heater there was a puddle under it. It wasn't from a loose connection; one of the welded seams had a tiny crack in it so I replaced it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking along the same lines as sourdough, I'd suspect that you may have a corroded, leaking tank. If there is no water on the floor of the outside access door area and no water dripping from the relief valve, but there is water coming from "under the water heater" then it's likely to be a leak of some kind "on the rear of the water heater". There are two connections to the rear of the water heater, a winterization bypass valve that might be leaking and several fittings that also could be the source.

Access the rear of the water heater, visualize the floor under the water heater. If the floor is wet, you will need to locate the source of the leak in the plumbing lines. If it's not wet behind the water heater but is leaking on the outside, then chances are it's the tank. You can either buy a replacement tank and rebuild the existing water heater or purchase a replacement unit. the first choice is about $200 if you do the work, the second: about $350-500 depending on the model water heater you have and whether you can find it on sale or if you have to pay "retail prices"....

With a 6 year old trailer, my guess would be that if it's not the winterization bypass valve, then you have a leaking tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

For the water to be escaping from behind the flange, regardless of source would indicate a failed sealing of the flange. Or am I missing something?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
For the water to be escaping from behind the flange, regardless of source would indicate a failed sealing of the flange. Or am I missing something?
Not all RV makers seal the entire flange surface. Some do just the top and sides, allowing any water that is leaking to escape and not puddle/flood the interior...At least that's my take on it

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Never replaced one, that's why I asked. Thanks.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
bobbecky

I had to replace ours a couple years ago as it was leaking a bit more than a few drips. I had the tools and was able to remove the old one, swap various parts from the old one to the new one that didn't come with the minor electrical parts, and installed the new one. The failed one, a Suburban with the glass lined steel tank, failed where the gas burner tube is welded to the main tank, so hoping this was a rare failure. I drain the tank annually and replace the anode each time so I am doing everything possible to prevent failure. This photo is the tank with the foam insulation removed and most of the other components removed also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaking water heater.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	18604  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater