Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
Howie

5er winterization question

I have a Cougar 303RLS purchased this year. I am getting ready to winterize and am wondering about using air or rv antifreeze. On my previous MH there was a valve just prior to the water pump that enabled me to suck antifreeze directly into the pump instead of from the water tank. This made it so simple to fill the system with antifreeze but current 5er does not have this option. In order to get to the water pump I will have to remove a couple of the under body wall panels to access the water pump I think (not sure of actual pump location). I have never used air to blow out lines but if I buy the air adapter to put on the water tank connection, how does the air push the water out on the line up to and after the water pump? If I put the air adapter on the city water connection I can see where it would blow out the water through to the facets when they are opened but that wouldn't account for the part of the line connected to the pump.

If I decide to access the water pump and put in a 2 way valve in front of it I could winterize with antifreeze but that would mean removing panels every year. Suggestions?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We are in the "final weeks of camping" for most members in areas in northern states, so there's a certain amount of "tenseness" in the air... Just look at some of the recent posts and you can readily see that "nerves are on edge" even with members who usually just sit, chew and rock with the ebbs and flows of "heated thread discussions"...

That said, you'll open a lively discussion about whether to use air, use antifreeze, use both or use neither, just pour some cheap scotch in the fresh water tank.....

Really though, If Henderson is as cold as northern Michigan, you'd do well to use air to purge as much of the water from the lines, then fill them with antifreeze, leave the faucet taps open and pour a cup into each P trap, replace the stoppers (so the antifreeze won't evaporate) and pour a cup into the toilet to keep the seal from drying out.

As for where your water pump is located ???? Depends on floorplan and the whims of "How Jacob felt" that day..... If it's a FloJet pump, you can buy a "snap lock fitting" and a 3' section of half inch clear vinyl tubing and make your own suction assembly. If you have a Shure Flo pump, you'll need a winterizing kit sold at any RV store for about $20. It has the valve and tubing that you had on your motorhome. If your Cougar has a convenience center, you may have a "winterizing fitting" already installed. Check your convenience center, if unsure, post a photo and someone will offer advice.

To explain a couple of things above, if you do use air, regulate it down to about 40 PSI. Running 100PSI thought the plumbing might well "fix your plumbing so you'll never get it repaired".... Secondly, the reason (rationale) that I use air AND antifreeze is to displace as much of the water in the plumbing system as possible so when I do add antifreeze, I'm not diluting it with existing water, making it "half strength" until it flows pink.... To me, it saves some antifreeze that otherwise would be wasted when I drain my gray/black tanks for storage....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
theasphaltrv'er

Howie...
We have an unique setup. Our docking station has no winterization valve nor a gravity fill for the FW tank, just a lever to switch for filling either the water tank or using city water + our pump is not easily accessible to add a winterization kit ( I posted pics in another thread).
My course of action is ... I set the lever to city water & first blow the lines, I bought an extra 12v pump that I hookup & pump antifreeze in thru the the city hose connection that will pump antifreeze throughout the system, including the black tank sprayer, then switch the lever to tank fill and add just enough antifreeze to the FW tank to where the inside pump picks it up to winterize it. Usually bout a half gallon, then drain remaining antifreeze out of the FW tank. Yes I add to the traps & toilet. I can winterize the whole system in about 45 minutes, 30 minutes to get setup, with about 2 gallons of antifreeze.
Come spring I pump the bleach solution in thru both systems and all is good till the next winterization.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Don_T

This is great information so far. What do you suggest we do about appliances like the ice maker in the fridge, the dish washer, and the clothes washer? Can you damage them with he anti-freeze?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
notanlines

Don, those items will be dealt with in the respective owner's manual. Each may be different. Better look to be safe.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
This is great information so far. What do you suggest we do about appliances like the ice maker in the fridge, the dish washer, and the clothes washer? Can you damage them with he anti-freeze?
I do not have those appliances in my RV. I'd urge you to dig out the owner's manual for each of the appliances and read (for yourself) what the manufacturer states is the correct way to winterize each appliance. I'm not, in any way, attempting to minimize the recommendations of any member of the forum who may offer "his ideas", but remember that some live in Texas where it never freezes, some live in Canada where it seldom thaws.... Most of us aren't at either extreme, but what one person does and has worked for years, might well be the worst thing you could do, given your particular climate changes.

So, I'd ask, "What do your owner's manuals say to do?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter