Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Bama Hammer

Tahoe or Silverado

Gents,

I am looking to solicit some opinions here:

I will be making a cross-country trip next week (about 1600 miles) and have a choice on tow vehicles. Catch is I cannot try them both out to compare, since I am not collocated with the trailer. Last summer I towed with a Tahoe and had mostly good experience, no issues with power but it got dicey when semi's passed on the interstate. I have recently gotten a Silverado and may take it to pickup the rig. Detailed info below, but bottom line which vehicle would you make the trip with?

Trailer= Passport 2400bh, Current loaded weight approx 5700 lbs, she is about 27' tongue to bumper with about 550 lbs on the hitch. Have a decent WDH and friction sway bar.

Silverado= 5.3LV8 with the HD cooler option, 3.08 gear ratio, Max Trailer 6700 with a GCWR 12200 lbs

Tahoe= 5.3LV8 with HD cooler option, 3.42 gear ratio, Max Trailer 8200 with a GCWR 14000 lbs.

Main thing I am looking for is to potentially trade some power (Tahoe) ,mostly just due to gearing, for a longer tow vehicle wheel base (Silverado) in hopes of reducing some of the trailer sway and being pushed around by the big trucks.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team

This is me so take it for what my opinion is worth.
I'd go longer wheelbase of the Silverado. The gearing is not ideal but you can lock out the top gears to maintain speed. Make sure your hitch is set up correctly too.
You didn't state your route. So these are generalizations. Hope it helps.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
sourdough

To me, it's probably a wash.

You don't give the wheelbase of either vehicle which is important; min/max configurations of either could put them pretty close.

By your numbers you can obviously see which one is more capable at towing power wise - Tahoe primarily due to the axle ratio I suppose. You don't give detailed info about either vehicle so it's a big guess.

Long story short, IMO, it's a wash as I said. That trailer on a 1/2 ton truck, light in the tail, vs hooked up to the Tahoe will be literally insignificant. You are going to get that push/pull feeling in either vehicle....white knuckle at times. That's what happens with lighter tow vehicles....SUVs or light trucks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
slow

Not sure how you established your loaded tongue and trailer weights, but if accurate, TW is less than 10% of the TT. You should consider moving more weight forward in the TT to get the tongue weight over 700 lbs but less than 855 lbs. Water in the FW tank may do it. Handling will improve with either vehicle.

As already stated, longer wheel base will also help as would a hitch with integrated sway control.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
66joej

I would vote for the longer wheelbase also. Wow that is a shallow rear ratio for a pickup truck.

2013 Cougar 24RKSWE
2015 f150 Screw 5.0L 10 ply LT tires
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Bama Hammer

Yeah the trailer weights are a wag. +/- a bit. Haven't actually been in the scales since it was brand new and empty.

Wheel base on the Tahoe is shortest avail. Silverado is a crew cab short box. It's a noticeable couple feet different.

Will be mostly Midwest flat terrain with maybe 200 miles through the ozarks in Tennessee and Missouri.

Thanks for the opinions!
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
busterbrown

Just my opinion but I would be inclined to choose the Tahoe for just the gearing alone along with a very good WDH with sway control. The 3.08 on the Silverado is going to be searching for gears on any hills and won't be fun. You didn't disclose information on each vehicle's model year or transmission. A 4 speed mated to a 3.08 rear end will just scream on the hills, especially as you approach any mountains. A 8 speed tranny will help with the smaller gearing.

If the Tahoe is setup properly with sway control and tongue weight, you should find the climbs much more relaxed. If your trailer was longer than 30 feet, I'll be on the longer wheelbase team. But at around 27 feet and under 6K lbs, the Tahoe is capable of pulling it. An Equilizer 4pt hitch would be my choice for sway control.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe I live on the edge more than some, but I'd say this:

You already know how the Tahoe performs, you also know the truck is "up to the task" numbers wise, so why not find out how it actually performs? Then you'll know which to take "next time" ....

Just be sure your trailer is well balanced, tongue weight is correct and hitch height/WD adjustments are set appropriately.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
bobbecky

Also consider what tires are on each vehicle. If the truck has 'P' rated tires, they are pretty soft compared to 'LT' tires, which will give you a bit more stability when towing. You have two different types of vehicles, one of those apples to oranges things, and there are a lot of variables to consider.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #10
notanlines

Good thoughts all! I am leaning on Bob's suggestion concerning the tires. I would like to see two things: LT tires on both vehicles and your actual scale weights.

2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silverado