Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #41
earlzach

Tip,, I always run the spigut a second, then hook up the pressure reducer and filter run a second again. Then hook up the hose. Run water until it comes out the other end and then hook it up to the trailer. If something was in anything it's out before it's in the trailer.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #42
fourfourto

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
Tip,, I always run the spigot a second, then hook up the pressure reducer and filter run a second again. Then hook up the hose. Run water until it comes out the other end and then hook it up to the trailer. If something was in anything it's out before it's in the trailer.
I do that also ,sometimes brown water comes out for a few seconds

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to running the water during hookup, when we break camp I always drain the hose and connect the ends (with the 90 degree fitting and regulator attached) so the entire system is "closed against dirt and stuff". That way there's less chance of anything finding its way into the hose while we're towing down a dusty or muddy road and less chance of me dropping/dragging it through the campsite where the last camper may have dumped his gray water or leaked black water where I'm setting up and dragging my fresh water accessories.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #44
Pull Toy

"I do that also ,sometimes brown water comes out for a few seconds."

I'm sure hoping that you don't use your white hose to power flush the BLACK TANK!!!
LOL

p.s. Sorry... just couldn't pass...

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
"I do that also ,sometimes brown water comes out for a few seconds."

I'm sure hoping that you don't use your white hose to power flush the BLACK TANK!!!
LOL

p.s. Sorry... just couldn't pass...
YECHT !!!!!
If that's happening, his "anti-siphon valve" is "siphoning" when it should be "anti-ing".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #46
Alpine

I changed out the frosted glass in the door with matching tinted glass. Love being able to see out.....

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #47
sandy43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I changed out the frosted glass in the door with matching tinted glass. Love being able to see out.....
I've considered doing that on my Alpine. Been a bit worried about taking the glass out and not fitting a new one correctly. Any tips? Did you use regular glass or safety glass? Maybe plexiglass?

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 AM   #48
notanlines

Jeff, Sandy, don't you find that darned glass irritating? I realize there are probably more WANTING it to be frosted, but not DW and I. We also are interested in knowing if you used tempered glass or not.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #49
Tinner12002

I always test my brakes while hooking up and unhooking. I use the RV brakes to hold the RV while backing in and when pulling out.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:37 AM   #50
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In addition to running the water during hookup, when we break camp I always drain the hose and connect the ends (with the 90 degree fitting and regulator attached) so the entire system is "closed against dirt and stuff". That way there's less chance of anything finding its way into the hose while we're towing down a dusty or muddy road and less chance of me dropping/dragging it through the campsite where the last camper may have dumped his gray water or leaked black water where I'm setting up and dragging my fresh water accessories.
I purchased a bunch of quick disconnect hose ends thinking I would switch over to them and then realized there wasn't a way to keep the hose ends closed off by hooking them together as you described. I guess I could screw a fitting on the female end to hook both ends together when I unhook from the faucet but then that's just something else to try and keep track of.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #51
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I purchased a bunch of quick disconnect hose ends thinking I would switch over to them and then realized there wasn't a way to keep the hose ends closed off by hooking them together as you described. I guess I could screw a fitting on the female end to hook both ends together when I unhook from the faucet but then that's just something else to try and keep track of.
Like John, I keep my 90* attached and then screw the female end to that. Easy and works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #52
Scout179

Just as with a boat, your fire extinguisher powder can become "caked" or packed down due to bumps and humps in the road. Once a year remove it from the holder and shake it to insure the powder inside is still a powder. Keep it stored near the door, so you can decided to go back in after you are safe. Personally, the first thing I did was to replace my tiny fire extinguisher with a larger one. Bigger is Better!
Scout179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #53
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I've considered doing that on my Alpine. Been a bit worried about taking the glass out and not fitting a new one correctly. Any tips? Did you use regular glass or safety glass? Maybe plexiglass?
I've done this on 2 rvs & no it does not require safety glass. The 1st one I did was by accident. DW wanted to add tint to that window, but the inside had the rough texture so I was going to turn it around & opps! I dropped it, yes it was glass but not safety glass, replaced it with dark plexiglass. The 2nd rv the window was already plexiglass, just used the leftover from the 1st to replace it.
Just be sure to use something tinted or dark as it will let in a lot of light.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #54
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've done this on 2 rvs & no it does not require safety glass. The 1st one I did was by accident. DW wanted to add tint to that window, but the inside had the rough texture so I was going to turn it around & opps! I dropped it, yes it was glass but not safety glass, replaced it with dark plexiglass. The 2nd rv the window was already plexiglass, just used the leftover from the 1st to replace it.
Just be sure to use something tinted or dark as it will let in a lot of light.
I'm amazed yours wasn't tempered glass! I replaced ours also so we could see out, and the glass I took out did say tempered. One of my favorite mods to the camper! But, I cheated (or went the expensive route maybe?). I bought the kit from here: http://rossrvinnovations.info/window-kit/

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #55
notanlines

Thanks, Lynette. Just ordered the glass. We'll see how it comes out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #56
Pull Toy

I'D SAY TEMPERED ONLY!

Plexy is cr*p for visibility and scratch resistance, and regular is "unsafe at any speed"(Thanks Ralph Nader!). They won't even sell you regular glass for your home screen door! Come on people!

A few extra bucks? Maybe, but safety first, we've mostly got $10,000.00 plus into our rigs, and constantly add toys, and custom upgrades, what's an extra few $$$ for safety? The age old adage applies "The Cheapest Thing On A Camper Is The Owner!!!". The stresses and vibrations going down the road are reason enough, buts let add the "Wind Gust" that tears the door out of your hands, or the "Grandkids" slamming, or pushing...

Sorry for the rant, (or not) it needed to be said!

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #57
Alpine

Sandy43 & Notanlines

I took my window frame into the "glass shop" and they measured the size needed, which takes out the equation of you measuring it wrong. They cut the already tinted glass then had to send it to another place to have it "fired" or tempered. It took about two weeks as I was in a small town in Idaho. And the shop was kind enough to cut a piece of plexiglass to fit (free) while waiting.

It was as easy as taking the 16 screws out from the inside of the door and it will come right out. Be sure and put tape on the out side frame to the door so it will not just fall out when you take the last screw out. If memory serves me it was $35.00. Do not forget to have some fresh Butyl tape for re-install.

It was so simple, I kick myself for waiting so long to do it!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #58
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I'D SAY TEMPERED ONLY!

Plexy is cr*p for visibility and scratch resistance, and regular is "unsafe at any speed"(Thanks Ralph Nader!). They won't even sell you regular glass for your home screen door! Come on people!

A few extra bucks? Maybe, but safety first, we've mostly got $10,000.00 plus into our rigs, and constantly add toys, and custom upgrades, what's an extra few $$$ for safety? The age old adage applies "The Cheapest Thing On A Camper Is The Owner!!!". The stresses and vibrations going down the road are reason enough, buts let add the "Wind Gust" that tears the door out of your hands, or the "Grandkids" slamming, or pushing...

Sorry for the rant, (or not) it needed to be said!

Good luck,
Well I guess I'm just living dangerously & a cheapskate!
We've been fulltime for almost 10 years & have towed well over 100k in that time & those plexiglass windows have survived nicely during that time.
I've also taken the screen out of the door & replaced it with tinted plexiglass so we can leave the door open & still run heat/air, the next best mod I've done, & it has survived Texas panhandle wind gust & grandkids. The kits for the screen door you can buy on line are also plexiglass. They also sell stain glass (not made with safety glass) inserts for those door windows
If the door window is one that's about 4' long x 12-14" wide I could agree with possibly being safety glass, but mine were 16" long x 12" wide, or whatever they were, up high, so the odds of getting hit by my teenage grandkids, or anyone else, were/are pretty slight.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #59
talk2cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
Been there with the brand new trailer. Almost rolled into a tree. 3 inches!!!!!!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
OR, leave the safety chains connected until hitch off ball.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #60
talk2cpu

One more that I won't admit how I know.
Always verify the receiver pin is in place before moving trailer.