Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
HuskerNtx

Landing Gear Fuse Location 2016 Keystone Alpine

Lights flickered when I used “Auto Level” on 2016 Keystone Alpine 3500. Thinking I may have blown a fuse as we had limited power until we hooked up to our pickup.
Any ideas on where a fuse might be for the hydraulic jacks?

Thank you!

Don
In Cold TX
HuskerNtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Harleydodge

Lights "flickering" would be fairly normal if you tried to level without being hooked to shore power and batteries were less than fully charged.
Hooking up to the truck gave your unit access to the trucks battery as well, which would have helped the situation.

I know on our rig (with auto-level function) there is no actual fuse, but there is a 12v "circuit breaker" located behind the batteries in the battery compartment.
I tripped it once, but that's another story....
That being said, once it is tripped, you would have needed to reset it manually before any hydraulics would work again.

What you describe sounds more like a low battery situation, rather than a blown fuse.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Pull Toy

^^^ +1 for Harleydodge ^^^... Your slides, and leveling jacks need full battery power to operate properly.

Your Level-up should be on a breaker, not a fuse. On my Alpine 3535, it is an auto reset type, located right next to the battery switch. If it were to trip, it is designed to reset itself when an overload conditioned is relieved.

Keep in mind, with any circuit, when the fuse blows, or breaker is open, adding extra voltage makes no difference. it is an open circuit.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
HuskerNtx

Ok. That does make sense. Now I’m wondering if I in fact checked all the of the breakers inside the unit. I appreciate the assistance and I will see what I can figure out. Happy New Year and Thank You!
Don
Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you locate the breaker/fuse panel, all the BREAKERS are for the 110VAC side. The FUSES are for the 12VDC side. If you have a copper rectangular looking thing in one of the fuse slots, that would be an auto resetting circuit breaker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
travelin texans

The cb you're looking for is most likely near the batteries not in the breaker/fuse panel & you won't be able to tell if it is tripped by looking. My friend had his GD Solitude jacks quit working last season & I unplugged the small plug on the back of the display & waited 15-20 seconds & plugged it back & he says they've worked without fail since, worth a shot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The cb you're looking for is most likely near the batteries not in the breaker/fuse panel & you won't be able to tell if it is tripped by looking. My friend had his GD Solitude jacks quit working last season & I unplugged the small plug on the back of the display & waited 15-20 seconds & plugged it back & he says they've worked without fail since, worth a shot.
Unless they have changed, GD has an in-line fuse in that fat bundle of wires going up the back corner of the front compartment..We sell them, and I have blown that fuse

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
HuskerNtx

Seems as though in my haste and lack of sleep I didn’t completely switch the converter breaker to off then back on again. Upon looking in the front compartment for an extension chord, I heard a beeping noise which was alarm or indicator for the leveling panel. So as to not “void the warranty” and mess with beeping alarm, I went to the leveling panel canceled the error message and turned the leveling panel off. After disconnecting the trickle charger, the RV seems to be just fine at this time.
Thanks again for all the advise. This is all new to us and quite the adventure.
Don
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
ChuckS

These are the resettable circuit breakers for your hydraulic pump on your Alpine

Even though your issue was something else open battery door and see if you have a single or two in parallel. If not then you can upgrade it yourself to prevent potential issues with hydraulic pump down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
bobbecky

I'm pretty sure the problem could be the too small of a breaker is causing your problem, or can/will cause a problem in the future. You can eliminate the problem now by upgrading the breaker that feeds the hydraulic pump and the main 12 volt panel via the battery disconnect switch. The fix is to install an 80 amp breaker in place of the 50 amp breaker. This size is approved by Lippert and will work with the #4 copper cables that are in your rig. The photo below show our rig with the new breaker installed. I did not see a need to change the other one as it has never tripped. The breakers are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB18...ircuit+Breaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80 amp pump breaker.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	15076  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
HuskerNtx

Thanks!
Found out it was two 40 amp fuses to the converter which is located behind the false wall in the front storage compartment. Easy fix but if I continue to have a problem I will look into changing out the breaker.
Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
ChuckS

So you had blown reverse polarity fuses on the converter... wonder how this occurred.. usually these will blow if someone is replacing a battery and accidentally hooks up the battery leads backwards for even just a split second..

They should not blow otherwise.....under normal conditions... I’d be wondering why they blew ....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, fuse, keystone, landing gear