Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
BIG KAHUNA

Credit Card Refusal

Good morning full timers. The following question is from my better half. Earlier this morning i had a Minnesota firm not accept a credit card which is NEVER refused. Was that because of tighter fraud protection in Minn? To that end has anyone else experienced a similar situation in their travels?
BIG KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We have experienced some (not many) credit card companies that monitor card use closer than other companies. As an example, on our last long trip out of the local area, the company sent two or three "notice emails" to our listed email address. We don't monitor that email account daily when we are on the road, so we didn't get the notices. On about the 4th or 5th day, the company called our home, left a message on the answering machine. We got that message when we checked later that evening. The message they left said that they had noticed some "suspicious activity" on our credit card and asked that we call a "fraud number" to confirm the card use. When we called, they told us that it is company policy to allow charges up to a specific limit, but when the "out of ordinary" charges exceed a specific amount, they restrict the card until they can confirm that it is us using the card. The "trigger" that caused them to notice was the card being used in "out of the area" zip codes. That caused them to question if it was really us or if possibly the card had been stolen and was being used by someone other than us.

With the current laws giving consumers protection against fraudulent use, the company is "on the hook" for charges in many cases, so to prevent losses to the company by having to write off fraud charges, they set policy that limits the amount they can lose before they stop honoring the card.

It makes sense to me. All of their losses are paid for in higher interest rates by those of us using the cards, so their "restrictive policy" actually saves me money.

That might be what happened, you can contact the company who issued the card at the number on the back of the card to ask why they refused to honor your card. They should be able to explain it to you in a way that makes sense to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Hodgy

We don't have many cards. After we retired and started travelling we had two instances of our cards being "locked" by the provider. We called the 1-800 number, answered a few security questions and the cards were reinstated.

When we are going to travel outside our "normal" area we call the 1-800 number on the back of the cards and advise them of our plans, no problems after that.

One problem I run into when in the US is some gas stations require you to input your zip before pumping. We don't use zips in Canada.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have one card that I use almost exclusively traveling. It has been locked out/declined any number of times. I always get an email, but more importantly, a text, as soon as the transaction is declined. It is always the security dept. I then use another card, go to the vehicle and call the 800 number to go thru the "fraud" reinstatement. I used to get VERY agitated when it happened because it's embarrassing. Now, like John, I view it as an attempt to protect me and others.

It happens primarily when I leave my home state which is all the time. I call them if I'm going to make a long trip and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I've had it declined when making the 2nd fuel purchase in the same state on the same day. If traveling, just be prepared and have a 2nd card on hand in the event it does happen, or, stand at the register/pump etc. while you call in and spend 10 minutes getting it reinstated....I don't like that option
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Willie & Bev

Some companies will let you notify them of your travel plans on line. After I had a card refused a couple of times I started to let them know where we would be traveling. Haven't had any problems since then.
Willie & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
rhagfo

Mostly preventable if you notify your card provider ahead of time. We had an issue once when Ireland because we didn’t notify the card company.
Other one was when trying to get cash in NYC, machine was having issues reading card, got a call from the card provider asking if I was in NYC using my card. I state I was and having a strange issue, I had tried different machines, they suggested try different bank, which I did and worked fine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

If that happened to me, I would have made a call to the CC company within minutes. Normally the number is on the back.
Worst case could be someone else is using your card. Best case they won't allow the card to be used because the amount or location or recent other use has triggered a security issue and they want to talk to you.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
xrated

I only have two cards, and one of them is the one that I use the most. I've got my preferences setup so that anytime the card is used, and the dollar amount is over $10, it sends me an email notification of the amount, and where it was used.....the merchant name. You can set the dollar amount to any number you'd like, so basically, anytime I use it, I get a notification. If I would get a notification and it wasn't me trying to use it, I would know it almost immediately. The notification is sent usually within 1 to 2 minutes of the transaction. I've pumped gas before, shut the pump off and put the gas cap back on and grabbed my receipt, and the phone email notification is sounding with the email from the credit card company.....now that's quick.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
TheGriz

My primary card is issued from the bank we use for nearly all our financial transactions. We have a dedicated number to call if we are going out of town to alert the bank of our itinerary. As a result, no surprises when we use our card a thousand miles from home.

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
rhagfo

One other point is to set alerts on all of your cards. We get text alerts whenever the card is used.
So we get early notification of unauthorized use.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
My primary card is issued from the bank we use for nearly all our financial transactions. We have a dedicated number to call if we are going out of town to alert the bank of our itinerary. As a result, no surprises when we use our card a thousand miles from home.

Mike

I hope you aren't using an ATM card. When I first started traveling years ago I was going to just access my bank account. I sat down and visited with the President of the bank and he advised against it. If your card is compromised you could have problems with the money in the bank (lose it). We carried as much as the FDIC would insure in our accounts and we didn't want that to happen. He advised using a credit card to minimize possible problems and that's what we do to this day.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope you aren't using an ATM card. When I first started traveling years ago I was going to just access my bank account. I sat down and visited with the President of the bank and he advised against it. If your card is compromised you could have problems with the money in the bank (lose it). We carried as much as the FDIC would insure in our accounts and we didn't want that to happen. He advised using a credit card to minimize possible problems and that's what we do to this day.
Roger! I was referring to Credit card! As far as ATM card for ready cash when needed...that accesses a completely separate account with limited fund balance.

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Roger! I was referring to Credit card! As far as ATM card for ready cash when needed...that accesses a completely separate account with limited fund balance.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Alpine

Sure it happens. We just crossed the boarder from Arizona in California and when stopping for Diesel I received a text asking if I was at ______ filling station? I replied YES and they responded "Thank You."

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG KAHUNA View Post
Good morning full timers. The following question is from my better half. Earlier this morning i had a Minnesota firm not accept a credit card which is NEVER refused. Was that because of tighter fraud protection in Minn? To that end has anyone else experienced a similar situation in their travels?
Well first the business didn’t refuse your card, their Credit Card processing company refused your card, and could be for many reasons.
If they were using a dialup card reader, the connection could have failed or timed out.

The bank could have received garbled information.

I could go on and on, basically we make sure we carry several cards with different issuing banks just to advoid this.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
1st Chev Diesel

Hodgy, I had the same problem when trying to use my Credit card at a US gas pump and not having a ZIP code. Station attendent said to use this number for the zip code -- 10400 -- and it worked.

Gary
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
tgpilot

Like others have said. Most banks will now require you to call and tell them what areas and the dates of your travel. After that, you should have no problems.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
byrdr1

After getting hacked twice. I don't mind them blocking my card.
BUT the last long trip to the midwest I called the 800 number and explained who, what and when and everything went well. We just took a cruise and I had to call and tell them I would be out of the country for a week and where I was going. The cruise ship was fine as everything is booked on the cruise line card. but off the ship.
so it's all good.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Chev Diesel View Post
Hodgy, I had the same problem when trying to use my Credit card at a US gas pump and not having a ZIP code. Station attendent said to use this number for the zip code -- 10400 -- and it worked.

Gary
My wife and I travel to the US alot and have had the same issue with the zip code thing. What works great is to enter the 3 numbers from Postal Code only then add 2 zeros on the end? Worked every time for us. For example if your postal code is T2C 1V5 you would enter 21500 . Give it a try. I hope it works for you .
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
XTeacher

Our bank's security is very tight. Flying J and Pilot tend to trigger a lockout more than any other company, for some reason. I always make sure I have my phone with me when using the card at one of these stations, in case the bank calls with security questions.

I don't complain, considering that my husband was a victim of extreme fraud earlier this year. It's been a complete nightmare getting it straightened out. The scumbags are still trying to open accounts in his name, but they can't do it, because he froze his credit. He's already closed/reported over 20 accounts they opened or were attempting to open - one was a credit line for $24,000!!! They even changed our address at one of the big three credit bureaus, and my husband had to send an affidavit proving where we lived, to get it changed back to our address! It's taken months for his credit rating to climb back into the excellent range, but it's still not where it was before the fraud - so unfair, considering it wasn't his fault.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote