Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
notanlines

I have often wondered if the people in Birmingham AND Jackson, Mississippi think that their roads are normal and they've never travelled elsewhere or what? Those two cities have had TERRIBLE interstates for many, many years not just recently.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
After doing our usual late summer/early fall 8000 mile trip, with a great many of those on interstates, can say that the worst we encountered were NY I-88, entire length with only a few good miles. I-81, Binghamton to the I-78 junction was/is atrocious. I-10 across Louisiana made even bumpy I-10 in West Texas look great. AZ 64 from I-40 (Williams, AZ) to Grand Canyon wasn't too great either. Others were as bad in places but not the mile after mile of those mentioned.

Each state is responsible for the condition of whatever interstate passes through not the federal government. All those shovel ready jobs and the billions of dollars committed ..... never did see anything actually done beyond those expensive signs being put up.
You're correct. I found this:

"One thing the landmark 1956 Act did not do was provide for maintenance of the Interstate highways. This is not surprising. Since the Federal-aid highway program began in 1916 under President Woodrow Wilson, the States had been responsible for maintenance based on the concept that the States own and operate the roads. Because the Interstate routes were to be owned by the States and built by the State highway agencies (with Federal funding assistance and oversight), the 1956 Act retained the long-standing premise that the States would maintain the new highways."

Any further comment by me would be banned as being political...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have often wondered if the people in Birmingham AND Jackson, Mississippi think that their roads are normal and they've never travelled elsewhere or what? Those two cities have had TERRIBLE interstates for many, many years not just recently.
I second that. There is a section in Birmingham that is brutal. Dang if I can ever remember where. I seem to find myself on it every year.
We just went to a family Christmas party in Louisiana. Dang if they didn't re-pave a section of US190 between Kinder and Dequincy. Overloaded log trucks had it rutted as bad as any road I have ever seen.
But those whoop de doos on eastbound I-10 just west of Lake Charles are still there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #24
SUnderwood

I haven't seen 1 comment about I40 thru Arkansas , is it that much better or the others that bad ?
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUnderwood View Post
I haven't seen 1 comment about I40 thru Arkansas , is it that much better or the others that bad ?
The last time we travelled from Little Rock to Memphis, we actually got off I 40 and used the feeder routes/state highway system. That was in 2015, so it may be improved now, but if not, I'd completely avoid it. Almost reminds me of I 10 through the Atchafalaya Swamp, from Lafayette to Baton Rouge. I hear that I 10 west of Sulphur is now a "close second" to that stretch of highway.... We're definitely in need of an infrastructure rebuild, not only the interstate system, but that would be an excellent place to start !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #26
Dave W

Unfortunately, that crumbling infrastructure rebuild would/will cost giga bucks and we only need to look at that batch of paperwork we send to our respective (not always the best word) state and federal government by April 15th to see how much added pain each of us would incur. Anything else I could say about that would be seen as political and cost me another admonishment
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #27
CaptnJohn

The interstate highways have been "shovel ready" projects for more than a decade. We notice as we drive over these roads especially on vacation. Now, if we took all our family and friends at no cost by plane on very expensive vacations we would not know that and would not care. FORE!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The interstate highways have been "shovel ready" projects for more than a decade. We notice as we drive over these roads especially on vacation. Now, if we took all our family and friends at no cost by plane on very expensive vacations we would not know that and would not care. FORE!
Well stated observation !!!!! There's a "WHOLE GREAT NATION" between the east and west coasts !!! Taking time to visit (rather than fly over) would serve as a "fact finding trip" for most anyone who doesn't travel the routes by RV !!!!! (mulligan)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #29
Dave W

Quote:
I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. We are talking about how crappy the highways have become plus bemoaning the fact that it would cost bundles of bucks to fix, not that they are 'free' to drive on - they aren't.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #30
Lic0rice

Does anyone know of a web site that has a map showing the current condition of our Interstates? I found one a few years ago that shown which N.C. roads were under repair but can't locate it.

When we lived aboard our sailboat, there was a very helpful site where others posted areas that were shoaling.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #31
SummitPond

Quote:
I-10 across Louisiana made even bumpy I-10 in West Texas look great.
When I lived in Louisiana I attributed the "great" shape of the roads (seems like all of them, surface as well as interstate) to the extremely harsh winters we had. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/ima...ies/nonono.gif

All kidding aside, there were some surface roads constructed of concrete (rather than asphalt) that seemed to hold up well, but the interstates must take an awful beating from the heavy traffic - they just didn't seem to last. I'm sure soil composition has a lot to do with it there.

What I really don't understand is the astronomical cost of building a road. A1A was partially destroyed during our last hurricane, and I've read quotes in the multi-millions of dollars per mile to fix it.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
CaptnJohn

Quote:
I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. We are talking about how crappy the highways have become plus bemoaning the fact that it would cost bundles of bucks to fix, not that they are 'free' to drive on - they aren't.
My point is ~~ we drive over these and notice the terrible condition more so when towing on vacation. They have had 'shovel ready' repairs needed for well over a decade. The powers that look for 'shovel ready' projects to spend tax dollars on will never see their condition while flying over them on paid million dollar golf vacations a few times every year.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #33
66joej

Here in Canada a lot of these "shovel ready" projects never get off the ground because the work takes so long to complete the next party in power will get the credit for doing the job. Politics plays a big part of life. Witness the Keystone pipeline in the US.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
My point is ~~ we drive over these and notice the terrible condition more so when towing on vacation. They have had 'shovel ready' repairs needed for well over a decade. The powers that look for 'shovel ready' projects to spend tax dollars on will never see their condition while flying over them on paid million dollar golf vacations a few times every year.
(Eagle) X2
Boots on the ground makes a huge difference!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #35
Barbell

We just traveled from Charleston to Columbia, SC (I-26); Cloumbia to Dallas/Ft Worth (I-20); US 287 to Amarillo; I-40 to Flagstaff. The first 20 or so miles west of Columbia was the worst. Atlanta, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Jackson, Vicksburg, Monroe, Shreveport, DFW, Amarillo, Albuquerque are all pretty bad but the asphalt surfaces in between are pretty good. This is the third trip over most of this route we have made in the last four years and it's much better now than four years ago. The worst parts are the concrete sections and the bridges.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #36
cardinal96ss

I-80 across Nebraska is now good. The road has been worked on for the last 2-3 years and is in nice shape. We travel I-80 several times each year.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #37
Richard Noble

We should all visit our State's Department of Transportation website and voice our concern with the condition of the roads that we are paying for. Often, the Highway Users Tax Fund (funded by tax on fuel) is used for other items not really related to highway use. Use the power of the pen - call, write, email. Can't hurt!
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
Richard Noble

Also, it is politics. Still, we do not need to throw rocks at any group or each other. We are the people that can get this changed. Bitchin' is not Fixin'.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #39
msubobcats

And with this winter we have had the roads are really deterioratin fast..
I know that all the roads we have seen in NoCal this year are a disaster...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #40
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
I-80 across Nebraska is now good. The road has been worked on for the last 2-3 years and is in nice shape. We travel I-80 several times each year.
Thank you for this! We may be traveling that way this summer. DD has expressed an interest in Wyo for college in a few years and I'm thinking we need to head to Laramie again to show her the old alma mater.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote