Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Luvkoi

Help preparing a snowbird for southbound

I know some are going to say, "Get out of town" that we are tempting fate by putting off our departure date from NH until after Thanksgiving but, grands and great grands should make that self explanatory. My question is just blow out waterlines or fully winterized with anti freeze? We wanted to be able to use the rig on our way down to our final destination of southern Alabama with stops enroute. However, the last thing we want is burst waterlines leading to costly repairs.
We rarely return before April/May for one reason or another, the largest being DW doesn't relish the thought of snow, snow, snow. Now, SMH I turn to the forum and ask, What to-do, what to-do?
Luvkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on temp IMO. If you only travel a few hrs a day, I would say your ok doing nothing. If anything just blow the lines out before you hit the road.

Doesn't get cold enough around here to do anything, so I may be off base.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We've had some "Novembers" when we were in light sweaters and some "Novembers" when we were "neck deep in snow and wearing the heaviest coats we own. So, with that said, it's difficult "in September" to guess what "November will bring".....

For us, when we are going to tow to warmer climates, we winterize (the one time I don't is the one time we'll get hit with sub zero weather). Typically we "dewinterize" once we get far enough south to know we won't damage the plumbing. That usually means one night in a motel on the way out of here.... Cheap price to pay (IMHO) for the knowledge that I won't be taking down the coroplast when we get to our destination.

If I had any assurance of what October and November would bring, I could plan, but with the crazy weather we've had the past 4 or 5 years, for me, it's "added comfort" to know my trailer is prepped for anything that might "blow in behind a cold front".....

Following the Boy Scout Motto: Be prepared...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Before we retired we used to take a months vacation from the last week of December into January. In New Jersey I winterize with the pink stuff. Looking at last minute weather I would either load 1/2 tank of fresh water to use for pit stops on the way and help flush line to black tank or if very cold I would blow out the lines to the toilet and sinks and then low point drains and bring several gallons of water in the shower to use for washing up and flushing. (this way most of the antifreeze would be in the holding tanks) If weather was good our first stop was usually in a S. Carolina truck-stop or rest area. The next day we were in Florida with no chance of freeze. The return trip was mostly dry or dumped and winterized in the Carolinas.

I think you will find that a lot depends on current weather and how long a travel day you plan for. There were times we used fresh tank both ways with no problem. Watch the weather closely, Mother Nature can be a sneaky old broad. JM2¢,Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Well I'd say it depends on temps also, if temps get low enough to freeze before you intend to leave then I'd make sure lines are at least blown out but I'd also have anti-freeze ready if the temps get really low. If it doesn't look like temps are going to get to 32 degrees then I'd roll with it and head south. I don't know if others have done it but could running the furnace on a low setting even while on the road also be an option if temps were on borderline. Maybe a 12v electric heater and then run furnace fan to circulate air, just throwing some options out there, they may not all be doable but at least some ideas.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
Luvkoi

Thanks to all of you! Really going to think this through as well as watch the weather like most have said. Our weather can be much like yours hankpage and because it's just the two of us many of your points are well taken. "Okay Mother Nature, be kind this year."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk