Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Harleydodge

hook-up issues...

Hi folks.
Fairly new to 5th wheels.
My current setup is a Curt 24 hitch (stationary) in an 8ft bed.
5er is a 36' Raptor.

My issue is that it seems to be a major hassle to get the thing to hook up properly.
I have a hard time to get the pin to "click in" when backing up to it.
This morning I was at it for a good 15 minutes before I finally got the trailer to the right height and lined up just right so it would hook up.
This has been typical of my trying to hook up, no matter what the terrain or angle.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I use one of those "grease-less" Round Nylon disks as well.

I am wondering if there is anything I can adjust or tweak that would make this easier?
Any tips?

Thanks.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well there isn't much to line up!

Pin box bottom lower the top of hitch plate by 1" to 2" that way the pin will not be high. You can also be off side to side up to about an inch.

You are backing in to the pin, and not trying to drop in as with a ball hitch, sorry to ask just née to be sure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well there isn't much to line up!

Pin box bottom lower the top of hitch plate by 1" to 2" that way the pin will not be high. You can also be off side to side up to about an inch.

You are backing in to the pin, and not trying to drop in as with a ball hitch, sorry to ask just née to be sure.
Yes, backing into it.
I realize it "should" be fairly easy. That's why I'm asking.
Thanks.

I also should have stated that I do still have the "Dummy" pin that came loaded into the hitch when it was new, and it clicks into the hitch nice and easy, as it should.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

When your new at it, hitching up can be a bit frustrating. As stated, set the bottom of the pin box about an inch or two below the level of the horseshoe. You want the hitch to lift the pin box just a bit. Using a round lube ring shouldn't have any affect and they are an excellent device IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It should be a straight forward (well, backing up) event. If the trailer kingpin is not damaged and the hitch jaws are not damaged, position the trailer pinbox so the nylon/Teflon disc is about 1/2" below the hitch plate, back into the "gap" and as your kingpin hits the trigger, the jaws should close around the kingpin.

If it's not happening that way, then look for something bent/broken/loose. If you can't find anything, I'd give Curt a call at 800.798.0813. Their customer service is excellent at solving problems.

Please let us know what you find, it's sure to help someone else "down the line"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
rhagfo

An you see the hitch plate while backing up??
If not could do like did when hooking DD gooseneck horse trailer. Place a magnetic recovery stick at the front of the hitch plate with the handle raised enough to see and place a center of the pin box mark on the pin box or front of the trailer where you can see it to line up. The pin box will knock the magnetic stick out of the way when the pin slides in.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When your new at it, hitching up can be a bit frustrating. As stated, set the bottom of the pin box about an inch or two below the level of the horseshoe. You want the hitch to lift the pin box just a bit. Using a round lube ring shouldn't have any affect and they are an excellent device IMO.
Thanks Chuckster.
I was just out playing around in the LEVEL driveway with it, and once the trailer was set to exactly the right height, it seems to hitch without issue.

I did notice that what may be causing some of my frustration is that my TV has automatically adjusting air bags in the rear, and as I back into the trailer, it adjusts for the weight.
It takes a few moments once I "drop" to adjust to the "no load" level, so if I pull out and then try to immediately back in, the truck is sitting higher.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
An you see the hitch plate while backing up??
If not could do like did when hooking DD gooseneck horse trailer. Place a magnetic recovery stick at the front of the hitch plate with the handle raised enough to see and place a center of the pin box mark on the pin box or front of the trailer where you can see it to line up. The pin box will knock the magnetic stick out of the way when the pin slides in.
Thanks, that's a great tip, but ya, I can see it in both the Cab mounted backup camera and in the mirrored surface on the Trailer.

I'll keep practicing I guess.
I don't see anything damaged on the King Pin and the hitch is brand new.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It should be a straight forward (well, backing up) event. If the trailer kingpin is not damaged and the hitch jaws are not damaged, position the trailer pinbox so the nylon/Teflon disc is about 1/2" below the hitch plate, back into the "gap" and as your kingpin hits the trigger, the jaws should close around the kingpin.

If it's not happening that way, then look for something bent/broken/loose. If you can't find anything, I'd give Curt a call at 800.798.0813. Their customer service is excellent at solving problems.

Please let us know what you find, it's sure to help someone else "down the line"....
Thanks for the link. I may have to resort to that, but I'll keep playing with it a bit first.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I think the key is coming in low with the pin and having it ride up onto the hitch saddle
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Thundershorts

I have the same hitch head, and found that I needed to have the king pin lined up almost perfectly with the jaws. If I was off centre by a little, the trailer would just move backwards. As mentioned in the other posts, put some weight on the fifth wheel plate, then back under, it should latch every time. I use to drive a truck and found it easier to hook up a 53 foot trailer to a highway tractor, than it is to hook up the 5er to the pickup truck. It's hard to teach an old truck driver new tricks.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
Ddubya

I have a Curt 24 and find it much more picky to latch than my old Reese. The comment about backing into it dead center seems to be the trick

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
canesfan

My Super Glide is picky too, not too much about height but about being lined up really close to perfect. Off an inch or so and most of the time it won't slide over and catch, it'll be stubborn until you get it right.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Barbell

I have a Curt 20, (even tho it has the Mopar sticker on it). Also have a Blue Ox bed saver mounted to the hitch. I back to the fiver, lower the kingpin to where it just touches the bed saver and back in. The trailer rides up onto the hitch plate and it snaps shut every time w/o a problem. Don't have to be perfectly lined up either. The hitch does have to be greased periodically. See your manual; it shows where to grease. Also, you have to have the hitch handle pulled out so the jaws are open to receive the pin. Sure you know all this but trying to cover all bases. My Curt is a huge improvement over the old Reese we used to have.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Harleydodge

I know this is old, but I remembered posting it and wanted to update it for anyone who stumbles on it in a search:

After putting around 1000KM or so of towing on the setup, things seem to have loosened up/worked in so that the unit now hooks up quite easily, as was mentioned earlier in the post that it should.
I don't think I was ever doing anything different than I do now, it (the hitch head) just needed to be worked in a bit.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
Tbos

Glad it’s working well for you now. I have a Curt A20 and am just learning myself.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #17
Duramike

I’m fairly new to 5ers as well. I struggled at first trying to get the height right. Until I read the tip on this forum to have the king pin a little low and have the truck pick the trailer up slightly when backing up. It snaps in first time, every time, since using this tip. Another useful tip is a test pull to be sure things are secure. I witnessed a 5er dropping on the bed of a fairly new truck a couple weeks ago. UGLY!
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #18
DOWva

Damn good idea

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Tbos

How do you do your test pull?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
Duramike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
How do you do your test pull?

Do a pull test with the 5er wheels blocked and the landing legs an inch or so off the ground to keep the 5er from dropping on your truck if the jaws are not properly locked. Pull TV forward until you feel pressure. If jaws are locked and hold against this pressure the 5er is properly hitched.

Some folks do add the hitch add on mentioned earlier to “catch” the kingpin if the hitch jaws fail. 😖
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote