Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
JCordill

Slide Out Issue

I have an 02 Cougar 245EFS 5th wheel and was wondering how to overide the electric slide out. I can't find where you would attach a ratchet or crank handle. This is a small slide out and is electric only, no hydraulics. I have a manual from Lippert but it is not for my model. My electric motor is a Dewald #017010. Does any body else have this model and do you know how to manualy overide the slide out?
JCordill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
SC Dreamer

I don't have that system, but a Google search for "lippert electric slide manual operation" came up with several pdf's from lippert and several how to videos on YouTube for different styles. Maybe you can find your style unit on one of them. I like videos that show real life situation.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
JCordill

I also did a search on Lipperts site but didn't find my unit. Also I contacted Keystone and gave them my VIN number and they sent me a manual for my slide except its not the same one. I had someone run my slide out while I watched to see if I one of the two large bolt heads on either side was turning. One of them was so I put a ratchet on it to see if I could turn it and I couldn't. Dont know what to do now.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
JCordill

I guess not all slides have a manual over ride. Who knew!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Sorry, didn't see this sooner... we have a 2002 Cougar 278EFS and the slide CAN be operated manually. On our trailer, that means crawling under the trailer to the electric motor. There is a nut on the back to turn to move the slide. They should have put a hole in the frame and wheel well plastic to put a long jack type tool through to operate but they didn't. Once under, you can operate the slide manually by use of a socket/ratchet. there isn't room for an extension due to the proximity of the frame.

Here is the thread I started:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=32525
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
JCordill

Slide Out Issue

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...attach/jpg.gif

Thanks for your reply Wired. I have uploaded 3 pics ( I hope) of my slide motor etc. One is of the end of the motor, one is the same end but close up of the large bolt head. I tried to turn this but it won't budge. It also does not turn when the slide is moving. Some say it may have a lockout on it somehow. the las pick is of the other end of the shaft that turns and there is a large bolt head on that end also. It does turn when the slide moves. I tried to turn it also but it won't budge either. I dont have any holes in the frame for a tool to pass through either. Guess I will have to go to the dealer to find out how to manual overide the slide.

By the way, my slide works I just want to know how to overide if I ever need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	16584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	16585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	16586  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
66joej

I wonder if you have to turn off the 12 volt power to the system in order to turn the motor.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I don't think the 12VDC has to be on but it is worth a try. That area in your pics looks like it could use a dose of penetrating oil; Walmart sells PB Blaster. Soak the area around the nut in the last pic and then give it a try. Also, skip the ratchet initially and use a breaker bar with 1/2" drive. I bet that will turn it!

The company that made my slide mechanism was eaten by Lippert and they couldn't ident my unit or provide any help because "they don't keep track of serial numbers". The only serial number on mine is on the motor. Lippert was not helpful in this regard. I too had a manual for the slide out that was obviously for some other unit. It was the one that came with my trailer.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Here you go... Keystone actually has a youtube video on their website:

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/

It is labeled "How To: Overide Your Slide..."

Your type of issue is towards the end of the video...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #10
JCordill

Good idea Wired, I have some PB Blaster so Ill try that. I had read that you should disconnect the battery before you overide so you won't hurt the battery. I will use my 1/2" beaker also. Hope I dont break anything.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCordill View Post
Good idea Wired, I have some PB Blaster so Ill try that. I had read that you should disconnect the battery before you overide so you won't hurt the battery. I will use my 1/2" beaker also. Hope I dont break anything.

Thanks!
I'd recommend a silicone spray, dirt doesn't stick to it. Otherwise you'll replace the rust & corrosion with dust & dirt.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
JCordill

Thanks Texans, I have some RV silicone, I will use that.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Thanks Texans, I have some RV silicone, I will use that.
Good call!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:23 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Have to disagree here. PB Blaster is very light but is a penetrating oil. It will evaporate and you won't get any dirt clinging to it. The silicon spray stuff is OK for some things but just won't penetrate corrosion which is obviously the problem here. You can try it first as it won't do any harm but I am pretty sure it won't help.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Travelinlou

Slide manual locations. Hydraulic: need to release pressure at manifo

Quote:
I have an 02 Cougar 245EFS 5th wheel and was wondering how to overide the electric slide out. I can't find where you would attach a ratchet or crank handle. This is a small slide out and is electric only, no hydraulics. I have a manual from Lippert but it is not for my model. My electric motor is a Dewald #017010. Does any body else have this model and do you know how to manualy overide the slide out?
Slide manual locations.

1: Hydraulic: need to release pressure at manifoLd (google instructions)

2: cable roller system, look at the interior molding at top, a larger decor plate I’d located in center. Remove screw, molding and you will find the mechanical fittings to drive cable. Alternative location under couch.

3. Direct drive lower rail style: same approach , manual fitting located under couch, bench or bed inside the slide. Very similar to cable locations.

Best to google model of device for any special hints or suggestions

WLWAYS CHECK FUSES FIRST! There may be a second one near motor unit , also.

Good luck, LH
Travelinlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
jgavin

You might want to override your auto breaker. I've had 2 bad ones. I bi-passed mine and works great without ridiculous pauses and annoying slowness. Someone on this forum will say it's unsafe but it's simply common sense to watch for obstructions.
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
JCordill

Just to let everyone know, my slide works! Corrosion is not a problem. I just want to know how to over ride it if I ever have to.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Just to let everyone know, my slide works! Corrosion is not a problem. I just want to know how to over ride it if I ever have to.
I think what jgavin was describing was bypassing one of the two auto-reset DC circuit breakers on the tongue of a travel trailer (or in the front compartment of most fifth wheel trailers). Those breakers have a history of corrosion that causes them to fail. Typically when they fail, they either stop all electrical flow, stop functioning all together or become "weak" and open at less than the rated amperage. "Bypassing" a DC circuit breaker can be as simple as clipping a wire across the two terminals, jumpering it with alligator clips or wrapping a heavy wire around the two terminals.

Bypassing a circuit breaker is a "last ditch effort" similar to using a penny under an old fashioned screw in fuse or inserting a nail in a cartridge fuse holder. It is not a "recommended practice" to bypass any circuit breaker, although in an emergency situation, it would be better than "walking home"..... (provided you have some indication that it is the problem)

Bypassing a circuit breaker can lead to extensive electrical system damage, a fire or destruction of the protected components, so use the practice carefully and don't do it if you're unsure of what you're doing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #19
JCordill

So I talked to my dealer yesterday and the tech told me that to manually move my slide in or out I would have to remove the motor. And to never do it unless It’s the last resort as everything would have to be realigned.

Tags
slide, slide out