Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
TheRealMacGyver

238ML soft spot in floor issue

So, among many other issues I've had, this one is now on the repair list! 2015 238ML and thought the soft spot was due to son jumping down off top bunk! Unfortunately, it is much worse than that! Ripped into it today and there is definitely water damage I was unaware of. I have no idea where it is coming from and could use some advise. Here are some pics of what I see so far:
Okay, well my photobucket account is dead now so not sure how to post photos. Anyhow I have water damage on bottom laminate of floor pretty bad. It is directly above my gray tank and I don't know where it is coming from. Toilet and tub are within 3 ft of area. Will try to figure out how to post pics.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We prefer that you NOT link to a site like PhotoBucket or similar, but rather add the file to your post. You can do it from your computer or phone using the "paperclip icon" at the top of every reply to thread page. When you click on the "paperclip icon" a new window will open. In that window, click on "browse" and navigate to the photo that's on your hard drive. Once you've selected the photos you want to display in your post, be sure to also click on the "upload button" in that window before you close it. Then, when you submit your response, the photos will show in the post and there won't be a future problem "when/if" the offsite photo sharing site happens to change its policy.

You can access the "how do I" FAQ here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...b3_attachments

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
TheRealMacGyver

Here are some pics. Thanks above I hope I got it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4825.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	15591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4827.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	15592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4830.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	15593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4833.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	15594  
Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
TheRealMacGyver

So the water is getting to the lower laminate and wicking up, I think! Not sure where because I have had no other signs of leaks. The toilet and shower are within 3' so I suspect one of those. Also this is directly over gray tank. I may have already said that but just typing it now and can't tell if I did!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There should be an "inspection panel" on the bottom of the tub. I'd remove that and check. It sure looks like a shower wall, tub drain or sink drain that's leaking around the hole in the floor where it goes to the gray tank, wicking along the Styrofoam between the two plywood panels and then pooling in the low spot (which is near the center of the trailer)....

My guess is that you've got some pretty extensive damage between the shower and the open spot where you've opened the floor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
TheRealMacGyver

Thanks John. I have inspected tub access, removed panel to access HW tank area and not seeing any leaks. Have poked around underneath and all the plywood under the black membrane feels solid, except a small area below the HW tank, which is why I checked that area. There is an area under the HW tank that doesn't have spray foam, which I will take care of, but it appears the main concern is isolated to above the gray tank! I definitely dont want to repair this area until I figure out what is going on.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
TheRealMacGyver

I have every panel I can open, opened! Running water, inspecting and repeating and I can't find anything! Thinking and there were a few times that one of us was taking a shower when the gray tank got full to the point standing water was in the tub! Quickly drained and that was that. I can only think of this happening maybe 3 times. This would have been over a year ago though, so would think it would have dried out. There was moisture when I opened this up. It is dried up now, but I know it must be coming from somewhere. I have not put water on the roof yet, but plan to, however I doubt that is where this is coming from. I see no signs of water in all the inspection areas, so I am really stumped.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a possibility of a crack in the top of the gray tank and/or a leaking drain connection going into the top of the tank from the sink or shower/tub ??? Just a WAG (Wild A** Guess) but if the tank was split or if there is a fitting cracked/leaking, the water would accumulate along the top of the gray tank, wick up into the bottom ply of the floor structure and then the Styrofoam "could" (maybe not, who knows) wick up into the top floor plies.

Can you visualize the top of the gray tank and the fittings?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Man, that makes me sick for you.

I'm shooting in the dark here but I know I wouldn't want to tear out any more of the inside floor than I had to. I've had my coroplast replaced twice but had it done so I've not ever looked up at the bottom of the floor with it down (very difficult to get down there anymore anyway). Is the wood visible with the bottom down or is it covered in Darco like the slides/wheel wells? If it's visible you might be able to ascertain the perimeters of the leak marks and approximate where it is originating. This may be way off the mark but just trying to brainstorm and think of a way for you to find this since it seems you are hitting a wall. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
TheRealMacGyver

The entire bottom of the floor (from underneath) is covered in a black poly-vinyl type material. I have not cut into it, but knocking on it it seems very solid. It seems to be isolated to the top of my gray tank. All the plumbing going down appears dry. When I filled the kitchen sink and pulled the drain, the gray tank expanded and then purged air and settled back down. Still no signs of any water. What is realistic for water penetration to remain in there? We haven't used it since Thanksgiving and it is covered. Seems odd that moisture would still be present, but I guess if it is sealed it is possible. Just not ready to repair without knowing the cause. Thanks for the help.

Edit to add: I even ran water down fridge drain to check that, but ran right outside through tube.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a possibility of a crack in the top of the gray tank and/or a leaking drain connection going into the top of the tank from the sink or shower/tub ??? Just a WAG (Wild A** Guess) but if the tank was split or if there is a fitting cracked/leaking, the water would accumulate along the top of the gray tank, wick up into the bottom ply of the floor structure and then the Styrofoam "could" (maybe not, who knows) wick up into the top floor plies.

Can you visualize the top of the gray tank and the fittings?
Your wild guess is what I am wondering too. Only way is to fill tank and see. I think it is worth a shot. Will post back.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Steveo57

I've had water wick into the edges of the floor and run on to the top of my tanks before. It would run down the outside of the back wall and then hit the trim piece at the bottom and then actually get pulled up around the bottom edge of the trim onto the bottom of the flooring and run onto the top of the tank and sit there and soak.

I've heard of it happening on slide floors also. My Keystone supposedly has a groove on the bottom edges of the trim that's supposed to prevent it from happening but I have watched the rain run off and get pulled up around the bottom edges still.

Here's a link to a post where someone had a similar problem.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...ingle/true.cfm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #13
TheRealMacGyver

Thanks Steve, I looked at that and the design on mine comes lower at the bottom. I did spray water on back and top just in case, but still nothing. Going to keep looking, but just baffled by it.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
TheRealMacGyver

Really scratching my head here! How long do you think moisture would remain in the floor before evaporation would dry it out? Reason I ask is I did have a leak in my front cap with visible water inside. (I posted this a while back). I sealed the roof and fixed this well over a year ago. Seriously maybe it was 1-1/2 years ago. The gray tank does have a dip or belly that would hold water and it is sealed up, so could water moisture stay there for a long time? Just not finding any source and really want to figure this out. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Short answer, no. Long answer, no, not the same water any way, after 18 months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #16
TheRealMacGyver

UPDATE: Found my leak-sort of!....

Well after a lot of frustration, I decided to take a water hose up on the roof and just go crazy with it! That did it, but not sure exactly where It is leaking. Anyhow, progress! Started dicor on everything. Used 4 tubes and just ordered 12 more! Going to seal that sucker up!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
TheRealMacGyver

Pics:

Name:	IMG_4857.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	15667

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	15668

Name:	IMG_4864.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	15669

Name:	IMG_4869.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	15670
Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
TheRealMacGyver

Still haven't found source of leak, but have sealed the roof with Dicor Lap Sealant. Have gone crazy and used 14 tubes to seal everything on the roof! Really thought that would do it, but a water test proved wrong! I know the water is coming from the right side now, and it does seem less than before, but it is hard to say because spraying water isn't really scientific. I do know that the second time there was less water and I think I sprayed about the same amount of water. Not sure if that makes sense, but just really frustrated!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is it possibly a leak around a running light or on of the screws that hold the awning or drip rail?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Carrottop

This may sound crazy but have you tried using colored water like food coloring or something then pour that water over one area you suspect and see I the moisture is that color. I had a similar leak on an old class c I owned and a neighbor thought of this we made several buckets of different color water and tested each color on an area. we quickly discovered the leak as green water made its way in from one of the running lights.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor