Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
jtpan

Tire Valve Stem WARNING!!!

WARNING!!!

To everyone who purchased a Keystone RV manufactured during the summer/fall of 2006.
Check or replace your tire valve stems! I recently had two flat tires caused by bad valve stems within three days of each other. The first tire was slightly damaged (still using it for a spare but will replace soon) and one completely trashed and had to be replaced. I had all valve stems replaced at my local tire store when I got back home and then found out a few days later about a tire valve recall.
Contacted the tire valve company and was told that I needed to contact the trailer manufacturer. Called Keystone customer service and was told exactly what I expected "We have no recall, trailer is out of warranty, so we won't do anything."
Even after I had checked the remaining valve stems, I still had the second tire go flat while driving up I-15 at 60 MPH. Thankfully some fellow travelers waved at me and informed me of the problem.
When you have the valves replaced, keep the bottom of the valve showing the part # (something I didn't do as I just thought it was my typical bad luck) in case there is a recall, maybe you can get reimbursed for the valve replacement.
I am now out the $30 for the valve replacement (had all metal ones installed), $120 for the tire that was trashed and it will be another $120 when I replace the other tire, a total of $270 bucks and it appears no one is responsible for this potentially dangerous situation.
jtpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Could you tell us the brand of the tires on your Keystone? Would they, by any chance, happen to be Mission trailer tires? What would a person look for when checking your tire valve stems? Richard.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
jtpan

Richard,
I'm not sure what brand the tires are but they aren't the Missions because my son-in-law had the Missions on his 5th wheel and got them all replaced. When he looked at my tires he said I should be OK because I had a different brand.
The problem isn't with the tire, it is with the rubber valve stem in the rim that you put the air in thru. I honestly don't know how you would check them because I wiggled all the stems when I checked the air not 2 hours before I had the flat on the road. The valve stem comapny is Tech International, the Recall is NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 08T018000.
Here is a link that I just found that will be very helpful:
http://www.tirevalverecall.net/
This site has pictures of what to look for-wish I had looked for this site before I had the second flat! (This isn't the link that I had originally found a week ago after the second flat). I'm wondering why the tire store I went to to have the valve stems replaced didn't say something about the recall. They knew why I was having them replaced and they are listed on this web site.
This is link to the fist site I found:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
Hope this additional info helps.
jtpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

According to the recall information in the link that you provided above, Tech International will replace the faulty valve stem(s) and "if a defective valve stem has caused structural damage to a tire, the tire will be replaced". It seems to me that you should have your tire(s) replaced by Tech. I will be going out tomorrow and checking the valve stem caps to see if they are "Dill" caps and check for cracks and wear in the stem.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for including the two links in your post. Both provide additional information about the stems, what to look for, and what you should do if you find you have Dill caps on them. Richard.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Steersall4

I might suggest too, I realized some time back that Plastic valve caps CAN strip easily and possibly NOT hold air in. YES Valve COREs can back out if not snugged up good. The metal vale caps have a seal in them. one can sometimes buy metal ones in bulk at a tire store. I have replaced ALL plastic ones even on my wheel borrow !! did I have a valve core back out? YES! did the plastic one hold the air in Forunatly !! BUT I discoverd when checking TP's and unscrewing a cap heard air leaking! even before this one time I check tire preassures A LOT and know tht that core had NOT been doing that!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
cpaulsen

Thr tire valve stem problem occured about 3 years ago. The stems would break right where it comes out of the wheel!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

Smile Valve stems

Yes they do fail right where the they meet the rim. Valve stems are cheap if they are 5 years old,replace them. Also buy get beg for a valve stem tool to tighten the schrade valeve inside the stem. That is what keeps the air in not the cap the cap keeps dirt and water out. Only do not rely on it to seal.that was a fairly massive recall but not many people knew about it. The metal stems are good but they to have rubber in them and do needto be replaced after 5 years of srvice. They are also rated for a higher pressure ie above 60 psi.
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire valve, valve stem