Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2024, 10:57 AM   #1
Lee

12v Fridge the only option

Hi,

Looking at new Keystone RV models and noticed that the 12v fridge is the only option.

WTH!!!!!

I boondock exclusively and this is a no-go for me.

Does anyone know of a 110AC / LP fridge offered in a new RV?

Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #2
Martian

I will be watching this one. There are surely more than two of us that want flexibility of fuel sources.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:06 AM   #3
jxnbbl

They went this route when they want solar as standard (220W solarflex standard) Some have said that the 200W is fine and it can be upgraded to 400W. In our case, the trailer that was suppose to have the 200W didn't have any panels on it and they gave me an additional $2500 off and I did my own before our first trip. I have 525W of panels on our trailer and in reality never have to use a power line or generator unless we use the AC.

Additionally, although "everyone does it", we don't travel with the propane on...but with the new trailer this is not a problem.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:00 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

From what I have been reading, there are basically two manufacturers of absorption refrigerators for RV’s (gas/electric), and they are working towards sunsetting production of the units. They are still available, but as supply dwindles, costs are going up and up.

RV manufacturers love the 12v compressor units because there is no side wall and/or roof venting required, and all they need to do is run a single power wire instead of 12v wiring for controls, 120v AC wiring for the electric mode and a gas line for the LP gas mode in an absorption unit.

Basically it all comes down to dollars and cents and trying to serve what manufacturers perceive as consumer demand. The same ill-conceived logic applies to demand water heaters which are also standard in many of the new models (they are gas-only, which is great, but you use a lot more water and with limited water supply and waste tank capacity while boondocking, it isn’t ideal). The new models are not geared towards those who like to boondock, and that is because the industry has decided that boondocking isn’t what the consumer wants.

You MIGHT still be able to factory order a new unit with an absorption refrigerator (an order guide I looked at recently offered an 8 cf gas/electric as an upgrade) and with some work, you CAN replace a demand water heater yourself with a gas/electric tank model or a recirculating demand style.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:01 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

Looking at new Keystone RV models and noticed that the 12v fridge is the only option.

WTH!!!!!

I boondock exclusively and this is a no-go for me.

Does anyone know of a 110AC / LP fridge offered in a new RV?

Thanks,
I believe it depends on which Keystone brand you're looking at. Some of the Keystone lines come "standard with a 12 volt refrigerator" but in some of the lines, there is an "optional RV propane/electric refrigerator"...

The Bullet, Cougar, Passport GT lines do have that option in some of their floorplans.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:04 PM   #6
Roper46

I feel the same way about the on demand water heaters in the new units. I was looking at a 2024 Cougar 316RLS and it was standard with the on demand. Did not see an option online to change it to the electric/gas, but I could have missed it.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #7
rhagfo

Well don’t boondock, and love the 12 volt compressor cooling unit upgrade I installed on our gas/electric refrigerator. Refrigerator temps constantly at 32 to 34 degrees and freezer single digits.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:57 PM   #8
jsb5717

From what I’ve read I do think that it’s an evolving change in the industry. 12v fridges will likely be the standard across the board in the near future. So any offering of gas/electric fridges today may also disappear. For us non-boondockers it seems like a good thing.

I also agree with the move to on-demand water heaters. I want to hold on to the ability to use park power to heat water rather than pay for propane. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the industry is eliminating tank heaters…maybe someone has more insight on that.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge