Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
Javi

My switch is as in the photo except it's BLACK...
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
HD Raptor

There should be an on/off switch right on the water heater. Just look inside the grill/cover. It may be hidden behind some lines. I found mine and all is good now.
HD Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #23
Jmill8

Had problem with electric side of heater in my 3295RK couple years ago. First impression was bad element, bought new element only to discover that was not it. Finally discovered it was intermittent rocker switch mounted on bottom left corner of heater. A two dollar part from Radio Shack!
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/PM View Post
No, assuming the circuit breakers are the correct amperage. If there has been no alterations there is no problem. Make sure you get a relay that can carry the appropriate 12v and 110v loads. The existing circuit breaker will protect the system as long as the hot goes through it before the relay.

When I purchased the relay I went to a local electronics store so I could be confident I got the right load capacities. I didn't trust something I didn't get my hands on first. A few connectors and a little bit of the right size wire is the only other parts you need.
Or just buy this https://www.campingworld.com/switch-...-heaters-black
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
FF/PM

I'm pretty sure that is simply as 12v switch. I used a lighted switch just like that but it fit in my control center just like the rest of the trailer controls. I liked the cleanliness, and the wiring would (i believe) have been the same.
FF/PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #26
p0wd3rp1l0t

i am having the same issue, water heater works perfect, electric is a no go. i was unaware of the switch located inside the panel, which was switched off. but i noticed the last camping trip my relief valve(or whatever its called at the top) it was leaking. so i will be replacing that then checking on the switch. one question is i pulled the drain plug with the anode? on it, and thats fairly eaten up. should I replace that as well or is that ok. dont mean to hijack thread, but figured anyone else working on there water heater, might want to check the anode plug at the bottom
p0wd3rp1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #27
Mcrafty1

Yes,I would replace the anode....it has its purpose, as you can tell by seeing the old one.
Mcrafty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 AM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t View Post
i am having the same issue, water heater works perfect, electric is a no go. i was unaware of the switch located inside the panel, which was switched off. but i noticed the last camping trip my relief valve(or whatever its called at the top) it was leaking. so i will be replacing that then checking on the switch. one question is i pulled the drain plug with the anode? on it, and thats fairly eaten up. should I replace that as well or is that ok. dont mean to hijack thread, but figured anyone else working on there water heater, might want to check the anode plug at the bottom
If the anode is mostly gone, go ahead and replace it if you choose. Do a search as there is another post this summer that extensively went over this issue.

On your pressure valve, there is a procedure for reestablishing the air gap at the top of the tank. Not having the air gap will cause what you describe. There may not be anything wrong.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a diagram of the anode rod. It describes the condition fairly well. There's no need to replace a "worn rod" unless it's beyond at least 50%. Depending on the amount of use between now and the end of the season, your current anode may be more than you need for that time frame.

Keep in mind that the anode is the only protection your water heater tank has to prevent/slow corrosion. Once it's completely gone, the tank becomes the anode.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #30
p0wd3rp1l0t

status update:
I ended up replacing both the anode and relief valve. Anode was only $15, and the relief valve was around there as well. Water heater doesn't leak, and also it works on the electric now. Amazing what that little on/off switch on the lower left inside the panel to access the water heater, the water is a lot hotter with that switch in the on position. thanks guys for your assistance-
p0wd3rp1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #31
wiredgeorge

When we first got our trailer, I didn't even know that the electric element was there. Found it and it was fried along with the switch. Prior, I had to take a shower before going to bed so the missus had enough hot water first thing in the AM using just the propane heated water. Now we can both shower since I have things working as they should and not run cold... missus is not happy about cold even on warm days!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater