Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Mcrafty1

Gas/electric water heater

First let me say hello all, I'm new to Keystone RVs . I recently purchased a 2011 Montana Mountaineer, my problem is the gas/ electric water heater doesn't seem to be working on the electric side, i haven't found a switch to turn it on electric...only a switch for gas. The heater comes on from time to time to reheat the water when no water is being used...I would think that electricity would maintain water temperature when not drawing any water...how do I turn on / determine if electric side is working.Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mcrafty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!
Make and model of water heater makes it easier. Some have a switch at the lower left corner on the outside, some have no switch at the water heater.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Open the outside door of the water heater. There will be a tag in there telling you which brand of water heater you have. If it is a Suburban and 6 gallons, the tag will say SW6DE... the SW is Suburban water heater, 6 is the number of gallons and D is direct spark (propane) and E is electric.

There is an electric heater element controlled by an almost invisible black switch on the bottom/left sort of hidden under the gas pipe. Don't turn this switch on till tank is full and turn it off when the tank is empty or you are not in need of hot water. If left on and the tank is dry, the electric heating element will fry and will need to be replaced. Some RVs have an on/off switch in the cabin for the electric element and if you don't some folks use the circuit breaker marked for the water heater and flip it off to kill 120V to the thing but I don't like to use the circuit breaker myself.

There is a Suburban water heater video at this link that explains some of the differences between models:
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...gallon_09.0079
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Mcrafty1

Wow, thank you the fast reply and the exellent info...I will check for the switch first and then the breaker.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
Mcrafty1

Ok thank you, pouring rain where Im at now but I'll investigate when it lets up.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Mcrafty1

Ok guys..I found the switch and is already on, the breaker is also on so....it looks like the element is burned out, I'll check the current at the heater to be sure its getting power but if it is then I'm up fpr an element. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
travelin texans

If it's a Suburban heater there's a black over with 2 resets on it, remove that cover & make sure the 2 thermostats (1-120 volt & 1-12 volt) haven't shorted the wires against the tank, ours did this a couple years ago & had to trim the black over down to prevent it happening again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Mcrafty1

Ok Thanks! I'll check that out.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
SR71 Jet Mech

If the switch on the outside at the water heater was already on, and if the water heater was drained the the element is now bad. Without water around them when they’re on, they get way too hot and will “pop”.
Figure out the size (gallon) water heater and you can buy the replacement element from camping world or on amazon for around $10. Also you should and can buy the special socket to perform the replacement there for around $5-6.
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it's a Suburban heater there's a black over with 2 resets on it, remove that cover & make sure the 2 thermostats (1-120 volt & 1-12 volt) haven't shorted the wires against the tank, ours did this a couple years ago & had to trim the black over down to prevent it happening again.
Push that black cover in the center to reset the thermostat on the unit. Try that first. If you own and know how to use a VOM it's easy to check.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
FF/PM

I have the same setup and found that when I was hooked up I could only use one other high amp appliance along with the AC. If the heater element was on, then a hair dryer, microwave, etc would pop the breaker.

I fixed this by adding a relay right behind the control panel, switched by 12v and then at the circuit breaker. Now my hot water is on only when I want it to be. I can 'fail-safe' it by switching the power off at the heater when I winterize. Otherwise, the outside switch is always on.
FF/PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #12
Mcrafty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Push that black cover in the center to reset the thermostat on the unit. Try that first. If you own and know how to use a VOM it's easy to check.
The rain has stopped this morning so I'll be checking into this problem some more, thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #13
Mcrafty1

Good info..thank you.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #14
Mcrafty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/PM View Post
I have the same setup and found that when I was hooked up I could only use one other high amp appliance along with the AC. If the heater element was on, then a hair dryer, microwave, etc would pop the breaker.

I fixed this by adding a relay right behind the control panel, switched by 12v and then at the circuit breaker. Now my hot water is on only when I want it to be. I can 'fail-safe' it by switching the power off at the heater when I winterize. Otherwise, the outside switch is always on.
You sound knowledgeable about electricity, would it make a difference how this system work if i was hooked up to 30 amp (which I am) as opposed to 50 amp?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

A couple of pictures to help you and others.
1. Location of the on-off switch.
2. Switch is upside down to normal operation. Down is on. This picture shows the switch on.
3. Location of the thermostat reset buttons.

Good luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban-SW6DE-Hot-Water-Heater%20(1).jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	17881Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban-SW6DE-New-Switch-Installed.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	17882Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater%20reset%20buttons.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	17883

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
FF/PM

No, assuming the circuit breakers are the correct amperage. If there has been no alterations there is no problem. Make sure you get a relay that can carry the appropriate 12v and 110v loads. The existing circuit breaker will protect the system as long as the hot goes through it before the relay.

When I purchased the relay I went to a local electronics store so I could be confident I got the right load capacities. I didn't trust something I didn't get my hands on first. A few connectors and a little bit of the right size wire is the only other parts you need.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #17
FF/PM

I just re-read your question and saw I didn't exactly answer. Sorry. It makes no difference... If you use your normal 30amp system it works as wired. If you use an adapter, all that does is leave off one leg of the service. You still only take in 30amps if you are using the correct pigtails.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #18
Mcrafty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/PM View Post
I just re-read your question and saw I didn't exactly answer. Sorry. It makes no difference... If you use your normal 30amp system it works as wired. If you use an adapter, all that does is leave off one leg of the service. You still only take in 30amps if you are using the correct pigtails.
Ok thanks, I'll investigate further when I can free up some time. I appreciate your and and everyone's help....with that Im sure I'll conquer it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
A couple of pictures to help you and others.
1. Location of the on-off switch.
2. Switch is upside down to normal operation. Down is on. This picture shows the switch on.
3. Location of the thermostat reset buttons.

Good luck. Attachment 17881Attachment 17882Attachment 17883
Must have been a Friday mfg, my switch is the right way on identical heater
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Must have been a Friday mfg, my switch is the right way on identical heater
Bro-ther...I had found mine was reversed and thought "I" was the guy who bought a unit that came off the line on a Friday or payday... Now I find out that most are reversed...and you happened to get the one odd-ball that works like a switch is supposed to work.
And this is why I keep coming back here. It's informative, AND entertaining.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater