Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Rqueen

Hot Water Heater Bypass

Does anybody know where I access the hot water bypass on my Keystone Bullet 2070BH?

Thanks
Rqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Behind your water heater. Find the outdoor access the the hwh (where your drain is) and go inside and find the location that is behind the access door outside. There will be a panel of some sort that you have to remove - then you can see the back of the water heater and the bypass valve.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Kansas Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rqueen View Post
Does anybody know where I access the hot water bypass on my Keystone Bullet 2070BH?

Thanks
Water Heater By-Pass Kit If equipped, a by-pass kit allows winterization of the fresh water system without putting RV anti-freeze into the water heater. The by-pass valve(s) are located on the back of the water heater (which is inside the unit) and in bypass mode, allow water to travel through a “cross-over” line connecting the input and the output lines of the water heater. BE CAREFUL, if in by-pass mode, turning on a “hot” water spigot, WILL NOT put water in the water heater and lighting the water heater with an empty tank could damage the tank which may not be warrantable.

This information is from Keystone bullet 2070bh owners manual.
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Rqueen

Thanks for the quick reply!
Rqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Gary View Post
Water Heater By-Pass Kit If equipped, a by-pass kit allows winterization of the fresh water system without putting RV anti-freeze into the water heater. The by-pass valve(s) are located on the back of the water heater (which is inside the unit) and in bypass mode, allow water to travel through a “cross-over” line connecting the input and the output lines of the water heater. BE CAREFUL, if in by-pass mode, turning on a “hot” water spigot, WILL NOT put water in the water heater and lighting the water heater with an empty tank could damage the tank which may not be warrantable.

This information is from Keystone bullet 2070bh owners manual.
When I winterize I've been in the habit of when finished turning the valve on the water pump and the hw heater back to normal. Both are behind cabinet walls so I figure I've got the tools out and the position of the valves is still fresh on my mind so why not. Then come spring only need to fill water tank and flush out the pink stuff.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I winterize I've been in the habit of when finished turning the valve on the water pump and the hw heater back to normal. Both are behind cabinet walls so I figure I've got the tools out and the position of the valves is still fresh on my mind so why not. Then come spring only need to fill water tank and flush out the pink stuff.
The only disadvantage I can see to doing it this way is that when you flush the system in the spring, you'll push antifreeze into the water heater tank until the cold water line is clear. That antifreeze will (can) taint the smell/taste of the hot water until it's completely flushed from the system.

Alternatively, I leave the access doors open through the winter and turn the valves back to "normal use position" in the spring, after I flush all the antifreeze out of the lines, check for leaks and know that there's no "freeze damage/leaks" in the system. That way, there's no antifreeze taste in the water heater. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Snoking

Here is a picture of the back side of our 2019 225MK water heater. At the both of the white water line is the black bypass valve. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180821_204643.jpg
Views:	2957
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	18515  
Old 05-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
shanny

location of bypass valve

I just bought a Passport 239ml, the previous owner had it winterized. We cleared all the lines of the antifreeze. Now we are trying to locate the water heater bypass valve on the inside. Looked everywhere for panel, can't find. Please help, pictures would help. Just need to turn the valve so that I can get hot water. Thank you
shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:16 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

You need to access the rear of the water heater either by pulling the panel at the back of cubby under the lower bunk, or pulling the bunk mattress off and lifting the plywood base and reaching down from above
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Snoking

Looks like the water heater is on the rear wall. Lift the mattress on the lower bunk in the rear and look for an access panel under it. Or look in behind the slide out stove in the outside kitchen.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #11
BCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only disadvantage I can see to doing it this way is that when you flush the system in the spring, you'll push antifreeze into the water heater tank until the cold water line is clear. That antifreeze will (can) taint the smell/taste of the hot water until it's completely flushed from the system.

Alternatively, I leave the access doors open through the winter and turn the valves back to "normal use position" in the spring, after I flush all the antifreeze out of the lines, check for leaks and know that there's no "freeze damage/leaks" in the system. That way, there's no antifreeze taste in the water heater. YMMV
First timer - 2018 29RLDWE Cougar. Location of inside access to back of hot water tank. a bit of a mystery right now?
BCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:50 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCougar View Post
First timer - 2018 29RLDWE Cougar. Location of inside access to back of hot water tank. a bit of a mystery right now?
The water heater will have an exterior access panel with the exhaust. Look on the opposite side. There may be a carpeted panel or a wood panel inside that it's behind. That panel will have screws holding it in place.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #13
Snoking

Quote:
So looking at pictures and floor plan the HW heater is just ahead of the refer, and there appears to be a pantry there. Look down near the bottom of the pantry for a panel that is screwed in place or a door that opens. I had to add a kit to pump in pink stuff on our 2019 Laredo. Chris
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
In addition to the above, you "may find" a false bottom shelf in the pantry. Lift that shelf out and access to the water heater is below it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
dljs1941

Follow up to JRTJH - I agree that turning the WH bypass valves back to normal could allow Antifreeze into the Water Heater when flushing the system out (if you don't close the bypass). Better (at least IMO) to leave them closed and put a note near the control panel to remind you to open the bypass valves. You don't want to get Antifreeze in the WH...

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater