Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Scott902

Boondocking/Batteries/options?

So next month we're doing two nights of boondocking. 99.9% of the time we've got electrical hookup, however this time we're not. So Ive never really looked into battery upgrades, solar, etc. I've got a standard Interstate 12v battery thats about 3 years old. All my lights inside are LED. Am I gonna be ok for those two nights? I COULD bring my big a$$ generator with me, just in case. My fear is first night the fridge stops and if its cold, we have no furnace. (June shouldnt be cold but we get some nutty weather so often).

I'd prefer not to go out and spend $400 on Solar or new batteries. What else can I do besides unplug the TV, microwave, and just use as little power as possible to get me through those 2 nights/3 days?
Scott902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
Logan X

I think you would be pushing the limit of the single 12v battery. You might have enough power but there’s a good chance you won’t. If you run out of power, your water pump won’t work, the slide, the hitch jack, etc. If you have a generator it might be a good idea to bring is just in case.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

I can go two nights with 2 6V batteries, but you can't run your furnace all night for sure. I'll run it for a bit when I get up, but that's it. Dogs sleep with us instead of their kennel if it's cold (small dogs). Make sure the TV booster is off, don't worry about unplugging TV or microwave as they are 120V and won't work anyway. Don't run the radio more than you need to (I wish there was a way to kill power to it).

I drag along my generator, but don't usually need it for 2-3 nights.

Have you got another battery you can take for this trip? I did that before I had the 2 6V, just took my trolling motor battery and swapped them when the one got low.

Is your generator that big that it's hard to take? Depending on where you are camping there might be restrictions on running them.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:07 AM   #4
Canonman

At 3 years, your existing battery might be getting a little long in the tooth.
So, first question, is this boondocking thing going to be a one-off? If so then at least a new battery and your existing generator would be OK.
Second question, do you have room for two batteries? Most rigs do. A second battery will provide (we've done it several times) for two nights and three days with judicious use of the furnace. It will also set you up for future dry camping opportunities assuming you like that option. I'd suggest using group 27 deep cell RV batteries. They're about the same cost as the more standard group 24 types and will provide additional amp/hours of storage.
We like having the option of camping wherever we like especially in our National Parks, Forest Service campgrounds and BLM land. None of which have hookups but all of which provide us with larger spaces, more privacy and for us at least, a more quality camping experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	21914  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
Scott902

This will probably be a one off. I won't say we wont do it again, but its not usually our plan.

If i was to look at Solar, would either of these two kits work to keep the single battery topped up? I know no AC.

https://www.costco.ca/Coleman-100-W%...100484260.html

or

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BFCNFRM/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and adding a second battery, I assume it be best to buy two new vs just adding a second
Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott902 View Post
This will probably be a one off. I won't say we wont do it again, but its not usually our plan.

If i was to look at Solar, would either of these two kits work to keep the single battery topped up? I know no AC.

https://www.costco.ca/Coleman-100-W%...100484260.html

or

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BFCNFRM/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and adding a second battery, I assume it be best to buy two new vs just adding a second
I guess I'd hold off before spending that kind of money for what may be a one off. Either will help, but I'd wait and see if you enjoy boondocking first.

Don't forget, if push comes to shove you can plug your truck in and start it up when it comes time to pack up. That will power your slide and jack. Might need to let it run for a bit first.

I'd pack the generator and see if you enjoy it first before buying a bunch of things I might not need.

Now, if you do like it, then I would get two 6V batteries from Costco and replace the one you have. Grab one of the solar panels and see about a smaller generator, just to charge the batteries if needed. I've got all of the above as the provincial sites in BC don't have services, but are nice campgrounds. Not sure what the Ontario provincial sites have.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
Logan X

If you’re going to buy 2 batteries, I would recommend 2 6v golf cart batteries connected in series. You will get a lot more usable amp hours with the GC batteries.

On a side note, and I apologize if you already knew this, you don’t want to take your batteries lower than 50%. Every time you take the batteries below 50 or 60%, you shorten the life span.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
Scott902

Thanks all. Good suggestions. Its a larger Champion 6500w generator I use for the house when we loose power. Not small, but I can toss it in the pickup bed with help.

Will those solar kits work fine with the GC 6v batteries? I assume, but always better to ask.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Logan X

Quote:
Thanks all. Good suggestions. Its a larger Champion 6500w generator I use for the house when we loose power. Not small, but I can toss it in the pickup bed with help.

Will those solar kits work fine with the GC 6v batteries? I assume, but always better to ask.
Yes, the solar should work with the 6v batteries. The flooded lead acid 6v batteries connected in series is essentially the same as a 12v lead acid battery. The benefits of the 6v is they store more usable energy, known as amp hours.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #10
Canonman

Either of the solar kits will work with 12v or 6v batteries. Note that the Renogy solar kit is a roof mount where the Coleman is a portable.
I'd recommend the portable type if you're only planning on limited/minimal dry camping use. 100w systems are a good minimum charging system. The way I think, solar simply extends your 12v battery supply abilities. Depending on your use (the furnace is the big hog) you should be able to go days with a 100w solar as long as the sun is shining. Our biggest limiting factor is the black tank. 5 or 6 days and we're looking for a dump station
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	21915  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
Logan X

I agree with what Cannonman said about the portable solar kit being a good option for limited use. It’s simple and has no permanent installation. However, the Renogy kit is substantially higher quality and will perform much better, especially if it is something you will use more frequently. The renogy kit can also be added to if you decide you like having the solar and/or boondocking.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #12
depush

I am in the middle of outfitting our TH for boondocking this summer right now.

I replaced our 12v with two GC2-ECL-UT 6volt batts. The 12volt deep cycle SRM-27 had 88 amp hours. That means 44 usable amp hours. A one amp continuous draw would last 44 hours before batts need a charge without damaging it. Your furnace could draw between 6-7 amps, maybe 10-12, depending. The 6volts have 225 amp hours, 112 usable. Almost three times the available energy. It's the easy, cheapest way to increase energy available while dry camping.

For quick reference on DC amps draw:

CO Detector 1 Amp
Fluorescent Light 1-2 Amps
Furnace 10-12 Amps
LP Gas Leak Detector 1 Amp
Overhead lights (Per Bulb) 1 Amp
Porch Light 1 Amp
Power Roof Vent 1.5 Amps
Radio/Stereo 4 Amps
Range Hood (Fan & Light) 2-3 Amps
Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode) 1.5- 2 Amps
Security System 1 Amp
Television (12 volt) 4-5 Amps
TV Antenna Booster <1 Amp
TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outlet Up to 8 Amps
Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan 4 Amps
VCR Recorder / Player 2 Amps
Water Pump 4 Amp

Solar at this point would just be a luxury. You can throw money at it, but you can't really be sure you'll be in full sun for the days you'll be boondocking anyway. You'll spend as much or more on solar as you would on two 6volt deep cycle batts and hardware. And really, upgrading an outfit for off-grid camping takes a longer, fuller assessment of what you have vs how you intend to use it in the future. Otherwise you're bound to waste money and/or be left with something that doesn't fit your needs. It's an issue we all face when considering boondocking. GL
depush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
Scott902

From what Im seeing, a couple 6v batteries is gonna run me close to $500. Ive yet to see one for under $179 cdn
Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
Lee

Quote:
From what Im seeing, a couple 6v batteries is gonna run me close to $500. Ive yet to see one for under $179 cdn
Hi,... Not sure about the $ conversion but last week I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries at the local Costco for $99/ea USD.

I realize the initial $ output is high,... but I would almost suggest the OP purchase a small 1kw generator.

I exclusively Boondock and this is how I do it.... use the small, quiet, 1kw gen set every other day to top off the batteries. Runs all day on 1 1/2 gal of gas.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
Scott902

I'll have to check in store next time im there. They don't list the golf cart battery prices on the cdn website
Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #16
shermris

I use a small solar panel to recharge, it clips onto my battery posts. I also have a small 900 watt generator that weighs about 25 pounds, just in case there is a sun shortage.
Harbor Freight has a 25 Watt Solar Panel for $70, they also have a 700 watt generator for $105, you can't do much with 700 watts but it will charge your batteries, run lighting and allow you power for low watt electronics. If I am boondocking for a week or more I load up my 6500 watt generator.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #17
depush

Quote:
There are some cheaper, but ya, not cheap. 6 volt golfcart batteries are the cheapest way to get amp hours.

I think the three year old battery you're depending on is a red flag. You could just charge it with the truck when you need to. Prolly want to at least make sure the cells have proper fluid levels too.

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to buy solar to charge an out of spec batt. Just buying a new batt like the one you have would most likely improve your situation.
depush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
Fishsizzle

Maybe craigslist for a used 2000 small gen. It keeps us going for days ruining just a bit in the morn and at night.

We just upgraded to a larger battery set up thanks to a member here giving us a deal. Couldn’t believe how long I could run the res fridge and furnace. Well worth the investment for the 6 volt if you can swing it
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermris View Post
I use a small solar panel to recharge, it clips onto my battery posts. I also have a small 900 watt generator that weighs about 25 pounds, just in case there is a sun shortage.

Harbor Freight has a 25 Watt Solar Panel for $70, they also have a 700 watt generator for $105, you can't do much with 700 watts but it will charge your batteries, run lighting and allow you power for low watt electronics. If I am boondocking for a week or more I load up my 6500 watt generator.
Is that an inverter generator?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #20
Fishsizzle

No, it’s not and it’s 2 stroke, so mixed gas
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking