Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Thoth1987

318 SAB Fuse panel fan

Very sorry if this has been asked. Search wasn't bringing anything up! When I turn on the main room lights[all 4 sets w/ the switch near the door] I can hear the little fan going right below my fuse panel. It slows down and sounds weak and depressing. I'm thinking it may need new bearings. I'm unsure how to pop off the face plate to have a peek. Does anyone have experience doing this? Or am I wrong and it's just a variable speed and doesn't need to be going fast in the first place?

2013 318 SAB

Thanks!
Thoth1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The fan you hear is in the converter/charger. It provides 12 VDC (converted from 120VAC) to power the trailer 12 VDC systems (lights, furnace fan, refrigerator/water heater control boards, stereo, TV antenna amplifier, etc. As you increase demand on the converter/charger by turning on more 12 VDC equipment, the rectifier in the converter gets warm. There is a variable speed fan located in the end of the housing that helps cool the rectifier circuits. It speeds up/slows down depending on the amount of DC power required. More lights, faster fan speed/more noise. Less 12 volt demand, slower fan speed, less noise.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Thoth1987

So the fact that it sounds inconsistent and weak is likely just it adjusting to what's actually in demand? And not that it's dying?
Thoth1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #4
limit4

Sounds like it is fine. Our 2013 x lite sounded just as you described.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth1987 View Post
So the fact that it sounds inconsistent and weak is likely just it adjusting to what's actually in demand? And not that it's dying?
If it gets louder (or seems to run faster) the more 12 volt items you turn on (increased demand for power) and it gets softer (seems to run slower) as you turn those 12 volt items off, then yes, that's the intended function and nothing's wrong. Think of it as "engine noise with your tow vehicle". Idling in a parking lot versus towing up a hill with the trailer at full weight behind you: There's a significant difference in how the "cooling fan behind the radiator" sounds......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

These fans are also prone to drawing in dust and require occasional cleaning especially if you have pets. I use "canned air" type electronics duster to blow out the fan and converter at the beginning of each season. Be sure you are NOT connected to shore power at the time. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
bobbecky

With our rig, which originally had incandesant bulbs in all the fixtures, we could turn all of them on and the fan would run at top speed. Once we replaced all the bulbs with LEDs, almost never hear the fan run.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse