Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Good information, this truck came from Canada and 5 or 6 winters of road salt. I was wondering if something in the 4x4 was causing it also. I have only turned 4x4 on/off to see dash light come on and rotate the hubs. But, as I said it only loses steering during a turn. The tires continue pulling the truck into the turn and the steering wheel can be spun any way, but to no affect until about a second or more later. Now your going across another lane in different direction. Attempts to turn out of that turn fail until a second or so later. Like a drunk.
Than steering comes back and tracks with the wheels, everytime the steering wheel is at a 90 degree off center but your driving straight. As in you hold 10- 2 position the steering wheel is in 12-6 position. Than I have stopped the truck and spun the steering wheel full right and left and it works normal again.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #22
retiredusps69

Steering

I would DEMAND they replace the Steering Box and also the Power Steering Pump and do and Alignment!!!! I would also take along a Statement and have them sign off saying there is nothing wrong with it.Both Mech.and Service Manager. I had a different problem one time when it came to putting their signature on something the story changed and they took it back in and solved the problem.Have your Attorney make up a small statement bet your problem gets fixed!!!
As another person posted Fords lower steering shaft will freeze up on the u joint but that makes the wheel hard to return. Thought my wife was nuts till I pulled the shaft out.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #23
fordmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
I would DEMAND they replace the Steering Box and also the Power Steering Pump and do and Alignment!!!! I would also take along a Statement and have them sign off saying there is nothing wrong with it.Both Mech.and Service Manager. I had a different problem one time when it came to putting their signature on something the story changed and they took it back in and solved the problem.Have your Attorney make up a small statement bet your problem gets fixed!!!
As another person posted Fords lower steering shaft will freeze up on the u joint but that makes the wheel hard to return. Thought my wife was nuts till I pulled the shaft out.
You don’t have to demand. If you ask to have it done, and pay for it, most shops will do it while noting that it may not have needed it. As far as signing something like you suggest, if your at a shop theft bends their principles to threats, leave. You’re dealing with people who don’t know what they’re doing. In 40 years I have never known another technician or shop manager who wouldn’t have shown you the door. Threats won’t get you car treated better. In fact, you should now wonder why you have.a new oil leak, or???? It’s never in any industry,, acceptable to treat people that way. It’s like cussing out a waitress who took your steak back to be remade. There are too many variables on a high mileage vehicle and the technician has no idea what the vehicle has been though. Accidents, rough handling, poor maintenance practices, vandalism, spent part of life in a high corrosion area, truck that are jumping curbs a lot, towing overloaded, or towing anything a lot. All of these are factors the the tech ay need to know about but probably won’t. We ger, “there’s a steering problem” and the expectation that it be fixed in a day.
fordmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #24
German Shepherd Guy

Hi Ken.
That problem sounds scary . I have a hard time believing that any shop would want you back on the road with that situation. Good to hear it is at your selling dealer now. I am thinking you have already but be sure to share the thoughts and research you have done with the service MGR. or the Tech who is working on it, not just the service writer.

The story of the ford tech who did not know there were grease zerks on the 250 U-joints was a bit disconcerting but shows to not assume they would know about the steering u-joint or the drive line U-joints perhaps causing the problem.

I too have always found a reasonable attitude will get more done than a confrontational mode in most cases.

I will be watching to see what the eventual fix is, and have no doubt they WILL find it, so please let us know.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Camper Wayne

I had a 2002 F-250 4WD that exhibited those symptoms twice. The first time it was a bad front U-joint in the 4WD at 66k miles.

The second time it was a bad ball joint at 77k miles. The ball joint was difficult to diagnose. On the lift the ball joint seemed fine. They found it when they put it on the alignment rack. I’ve seen a couple of times when a bad ball joint seems ok with the suspension dangling on lift until they put vehicle weight on it.
Camper Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #26
Ken / Claudia

I got the truck back tonight. Short version, dealer had a tech who had another truck 2 weeks ago with same problem. Test was jack up the front end, turn the wheels and spin the tires by hand. He found some sticking, put it in 4x4 and had more sticking. Turning the steering wheel and the wheels would lock into the turn. He than drove it in 4x4 in their lot and the steering locked into a turn. The front axle U joints on the right side were shot. They replaced both sides.
Hopefully that was the problem, sounds like it was. I have only put about 50 miles on it today and I told myself the steering felt more responsive than before. I cannot say for sure that's correct. But, before I was happy with the steering until it locked up. Unknown what the cost was I only paid the deductible.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 AM   #27
rhagfo

Super, sounds like that should be a fix!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote