Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Hoosier Camper

2004 Keystone Cabana

Howdy!

Two years ago I purchased used 2004 Keystone Cabana. Love the floor plan, perfect size unit for my family. The only problem I have is condensation build up inside the unit whenever I use the furnace. We camp from March to November so a furnace is pretty important! I'm getting tired of looking up at the canvas in the middle of night only to see several hundred little water drops waiting to drench me and the wife.

Please! Any help tips is greatly appreciated.

Hoosier Camper

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper pic.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	61
Hoosier Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
winged one

Curious, what have you tried?

Did you have this problem with the prior popup?

Venting the moisture or taking it out of the air, as you know, I am sure. Opening a vent slightly to vent the heated, moist air.

They do make small dehumidifiers.

Try to keep wet things (clothes, boots, towels, whatever) out of the trailer. Hang them outside.

Are you taking showers at night, just before bed?
winged one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I think the secret word was "Canvas". Of course there is no way to insulate the canvas in the sleeping area so body heat and breath will condensate on the canvas just like on glass. A small fan circulating the warm air in the trailer towards the canvas should help dry it but sleeping with the draft may be as bad as water drops. We always had that problem when sleeping in a pickup with an aluminum shell ..... almost like water torture in the morning. The fan helped us. Hope this helps, Hank. ........ and as stated in above post keep a vent opened a little especially with showers and cooking.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Hoosier Camper

Wink 2004 Keystone Cabana

Winged One/Hank,

Thanks for your reply. I will now answer your questions ...starting with Winged One, first.

Winged One, In the past I have cracked open rear window, open ceiling vent in bathroom and open front window to create air movement. The bathroom vent does have a fan, but have never let run all night. Answer to last question ...yes, normally take shower at night.

Hank,
Never had this problem with popup camper. I'm guessing it vents air easier than current camper. The problem seems to worsen when there's a full house (6-8 individual in camper)!

I will investigate purchasing small dehumidifier for camper. Have to admit the wet canvas is a fun way to wake up a sleeping wife!

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Camper View Post
Have to admit the wet canvas is a fun way to wake up a sleeping wife!

Thanks!

That's a good way of getting burnt offerings for breakfast or none at all. ..... Breakfast I mean ..... just to clarify for the moderators.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
winged one

Another option is these:

http://www.drizair.com/products.html

I have used something similiar before, and it worked well but in a completely different use.

You might want to check into it as it wont use electricity, can be put out at night, maybe at several places, are not heavy and don't take floor space.

Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Hoosier Camper

Winged One/Hank,

Thanks for your input, advice and suggestions.

Is this kind of problem also prone in complete hardshell TT? In a couple of years we hope to upgrade ...just curious.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
winged one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Camper View Post
Winged One/Hank,

Thanks for your input, advice and suggestions.

Is this kind of problem also prone in complete hardshell TT? In a couple of years we hope to upgrade ...just curious.
Previous to our 199ML, which we have yet to spend a night in, we had a 1988 Jayco 2850 5th wheel for 15 years. In that time, I don't recall ever having the issue you speak of.

Then again, there were only the 2 of us, maybe a cat or dog with us, and no showers taken at night. So the amount of moisture brought into the trailer was not that great. I do remember fogging on windows, when conditions were right, but never on the walls or ceilings of the trailer.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Moisture caused by condensation should not appear on the interior walls and ceilings of an RV. The insulation and any air spaces found in the walls come between the outside air and the ceiling and wall panels - preventing any condensation from taking place. On windows, fiberglass or aluminium hardshell they are in direct contact with the outside air - a warm surface meeting a cold one. Unless you have thermopane windows or some kind of insulation between the interior and the exterior, you will get condensation when the interior is warmed up -- by the heat generated by people and by the furnace.
We have used the drizair products and placed a couple of the plastic containers with the crystals in our RV and the boat over the winter months. I am not sure how effective they would be in your situation, however.
I would try to get a fan of some sort that would move a sufficient amount of air to help reduce the amount of condensation inside your Cabana. I dont think that you will be able to eliminate the problem of condensation as long as there is an interior heat source and a cooler exterior without having an insulated barrier between the two.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
wiscoheels

humidity

You can also run a small fan to help circulate air
wiscoheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
Hoosier Camper

Thanks!

To All:

Thank You so much for your responses. It appears I will be trying a combination of things starting next spring. My plan is to purchase a small dehumidifier ...start running few hours before bedtime or sooner. Of course that is my second plan should my first plan fail... talking the wife into purchasing new TT at this year's Indy RV show. Wish me LUCK!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Flyguy

watch out for those RV shows, and don't buy any trailer and complete the deal at the show, go to the dealer's lot after the show but negociate a fair price at the show and inspect the trailer at his lot while the dealer still owns it, many have bought at the shows and depended on dealer honesty and were very dissapointed, don't let that happen to you!!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Hoosier Camper

RV Show

Flyguy,

Couldn't agree more about RV show. Sometimes they have really good deals and people tend to jump in both feet without doing their homework. I would like to feel that I'm not one of those people ...so far, so good!

Thank You for the Merry Christmas wish. Allow me the opportunity to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas, as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Hoosier Camper

Follow up to my last post (12-13-09).... Went to Indy RV show yesterday and happy to report I still have my 2004 Cabana! Must admit I was tempted but decided timing wasn't right. We did make up our mind on trailer size and floor plan we're looking for (26ft, front bedroom- Queen bed, bunkhouse in rear- single over full) so if any of you have suggestions I'm all ears!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Flyguy

Well it's hard to find a TT with those specs, but the closest TT's that I could find is 2010 Passport 250BH in a new TT and a 2004 Flagstaff 26BHSS used from Louisville RV in Kentucky, their web is: http://louisvillerv.rvusa.com/2004-f...ouse-KY-i10259 you can look at the pictures of it there. I have bought from Louisville RV before and can vouch for there honesty. In fact the 2008 Passport that I now own was purchased from him. The next thing up is the Passport 280BH like mine but it's 31', 26' is the killer in a BH. On the 2004 Flagstaff the specs are: Length = 26’11”, Hitch weight = 362, dry weight = 4251, GVW = 6362, if I didn't already own my Passport I would buy this used trailer, I like the torsion axle independent suspension, it's only 7.5' wide instead of 8' and can handle easily as a lightweight trailer, but that's just me, it is however the closest thing to your specs that I could find and the price is right too. I checked the map, your about 3hrs and 190mi from him, if you visit them ask about a price on the 2010 Passport 250BH (next closest thing to your specs).
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #16
Hoosier Camper

Flyguy,
Thanks for the info! I do like the Flagstaff ...only hang-up I have is the slide out. Honestly, not a big fan of slide out. Even more so after reading some post on this site. There was one TT the wife and I really liked at the Indy RV show but I don't think it's a member of the Keystone family... It's a 2011 Trail Runner 26FBQ by Heartland. It has the front bedroom, rear bunkhouse and appeared to be a soundly built TT. We looked at other makes with similiar floor designed but they all seemed to lack the options or appear more plain compared to the Trail Runner.

Anywho.... No decision yet and probably won't happen this year.