Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
gearhead

San Jacinto Day

Tomorrow, April 21 is Easter Sunday and San Jacinto Day. Happy Easter!
A big thanks to the "rag tag" Texas Army led by Sam Houston for defeating the Emperor of Mexico Santa Anna. I pass the battlegrounds frequently and think about the ramifications of that battle. So much land was added to the US. My 4th great grandfather, James Cole was at age 74, the oldest man associated with the battle, he was "rear guard" near Harrisburg. My cousin David Miles Cole was at the battle and was one of the party of 5 that captured Santa Anna. Thanks for your contributions.
http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/batsanjacinto.htm
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Tomorrow, April 21 is Easter Sunday and San Jacinto Day. Happy Easter!
A big thanks to the "rag tag" Texas Army led by Sam Houston for defeating the Emperor of Mexico Santa Anna. I pass the battlegrounds frequently and think about the ramifications of that battle. So much land was added to the US. My 4th great grandfather, James Cole was at age 74, the oldest man associated with the battle, he was "rear guard" near Harrisburg. My cousin David Miles Cole was at the battle and was one of the party of 5 that captured Santa Anna. Thanks for your contributions.
http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/batsanjacinto.htm
Happy Easter and San Jacinto Day to you as well! My predecessors came into the NE in the 1700s. Worked their way down thru the country to Tennessee (where dad's family arrived early 1800s) and then to TX mid 1800s as best we can document. I like to think of them as part of the "Goliad 36" (best I recall - but doubt it). Or, coming with Davy Crockett from TN when he said he said they could go to xxx and he was coming to TX (from a show - original wording was close though) .

We are in the process of doing a lot of investigation into not only my dad's history but my mom's. We have the time to do it, it's interesting and the kids are clueless unless we do.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
gearhead

If you are not already there, Ancestry.com will get you going. I think it's about $55 every 3 months. Do their DNA test and about a thousand cousins will appear!
There were several paths to Texas. Carolinas to Tennessee to Natchez via the Trace was common. An early journey was from Kingsport TN into the Holston River, Tennessee River, Ohio River, Mississippi River to Natchez. It was a long and dangerous float trip but probably less dangerous than crossing through Alabama. Mine got to Natchez before the American Revolution when it was Spanish territory. Then to SW Louisiana, and to Texas as soon as 1819.
You will probably find that several families migrated together over several generations. Find one family and you'll find the others.
About all of the information I have learned about my family I gathered myself. I only knew my Dad's immediate family and none of their history. My Mom's family was a bit better known but not much. I don't think either family knew much of their history. I've gone from nothing to being able to go where my earliest known paternal ancestor immigrated to near Richmond VA in 1710.
Happy "digging"!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote